Rap How-to On Nbs (keyed Accessory Power)

I am trying to remove the cover to the MBEC but am having problems. It looks like GM added a fastener to the center of the cover to hold it on. I am not able to remove it (at least without forcing it too much). Is there a trick to removing this cover? Here is a picture - see the red arrow for the location of the fastener. Any ideas? Thanks

post-85453-1294494481_thumb.jpg

Yes, they added a pine cone type fastener to the cover in '09. Anybody that has an '08 knows they had a habit of falling off. The pine cones can be a real pain to get out. They do simply pull out though. You can get a trim panel removal tool at an autopart store, I have always been able to lift them a little with a small pry bar or screw driver then get under them with a pair of needle nose pliers and grip and pry.

Yes, they added a pine cone type fastener to the cover in '09. Anybody that has an '08 knows they had a habit of falling off. The pine cones can be a real pain to get out. They do simply pull out though. You can get a trim panel removal tool at an autopart store, I have always been able to lift them a little with a small pry bar or screw driver then get under them with a pair of needle nose pliers and grip and pry.

Thanks, I will give it a try!

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm new but this would probably be a great post to sticky. This exact post is what led me here from Google and from the simply fact that it's been viewed over 4K times it's clearly a popular post.

Thanks again to the OP, this was a great bit of help.

Now if I can actually put into practice what was detailed here it will be the miracle of all miracles.

Edited by BigBodySS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

for those of you who need both the 15amp and the 30amp on RAP control I found this relay has one coil but 2 isolated

30amp rated contacts. This allowed me both a power amp and a 2 way radio that I could never accidentally leave on.

its meant for hot tubs so it weather proof. and could even be used under the hood for emergency lighting circuits

http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?ic=80056&froogle=1

80056.jpg

• 3 months later...
3 Female GT 280 terminals Delphi Part number 15304711 Mouser part number 829-15304711

1 Relay pigtail Parts express part number 330-075

1 Bosch style relay Parts express part# 330-079

1 GM Connector 20791502 (optional)

I'm a little slow when it comes to some of this stuff.

Does the 1 GM Connector 20791502 replace the other parts? Or would I need to purchase all items on this list.

Short of that I can follow the dots on this write-up.

Thanks for the great posts.

I'm just getting around to installing the RAP relay and associated wiring. I did check the GM Upfitter Site to check on another connector and discovered this Tech Bulletin covering added relays to the electrical system. I'm sure no one wants to void the warranty on any of the computers or control modules in their truck. Adding a 1N4003 diode across the windings of the relay will keep induced voltage spikes generated by the relay when it drops out might save you some hard earned $$$$.

Just a word to the wise. Read the Tech Bulletin.

Ted

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to add a female 12v accessory plug (cig lighter type) to my truck exclusively for my Garmin GPS, do I have to go the complete relay route or can I just tap pin 2 for the 15amp of power and ground it to the body (or pin 1)?

I appreciate the write-up and input.

Edited by Klutch