Dpf Is A Piece Of Junk Or The Lmm Duramax Is

So I recently purchased a 2010 Duramax for towing a 5th wheel. I live in Colorado and so I intended to use it in high altitudes. Took it on vacation this weekend and had no problems at all on the way out there, it worked great and went over 11,000 ft with it. On the way back it went into regeneration mode, and then about 30 seconds later shut down on reduced engine power. Well I couldn't even tow my trailer so had to put it in 4lo to get over the pass and coast down and then I was able to keep reseting the check engine light and get it to run normal. This went on for around 80 miles. The system would not regenerate, finally I got down below 6000 ft and it regenerated. I called the dealer and they said that it was normal operation. Kind of figured that would be their answer. I do have a EDGE attitude on it right now, the truck only has 1,700 miles on it so it is still brand new. I have already ordered a full exhaust fot it to get rid on that hunk of junk, but has anyone else had problems like this on it?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why blame GM or the truck when you added a tuner that GM never designed for ?

Mark

+1. I have the same motor and have just put over 10,000 miles on it, most of it towing, with no problems. Try taking the EDGE off and see what happens.

I wouldn't be to quick to blame the tuner. Alot and I mean Alot of dealerships sell edge and Diablo programmers now. The diesel particulate filter is just another choke to try and reduce sulfur dioxide emissions.

I absolutely blame the tuner - it causes the engine to run rich, isn't sophisticated enough to compensate for higher altitudes, and the additional soot clogs the dpf more quickly than normal, then the regen cycle isn't long enough the completely clean it, hence the reduced power message.

I have a 2008 that I routinely tow 11K over every high pass in Colorado with zero problems. The dpf is not your problem - the tuner IS.

I don't know of any reputable dealer selling tuners, especially on new trucks because of the warranty issues. GM has a zero tolerance policy on tuners, so putting one on is a gamble of a warranty block - even the piggy back ones can be detected.

And BTW the dpf has nothing to do with SO2 reduction - it only filters soot out of the exhaust.

Try taking off the tuner, and at least drive the truck long enough to break it in and then decide if you really need one...you WILL lose you warranty if you remove the dpf, and in Colorado you will fail emission testing when your truck comes due.

It's too late you've already blown your drivetrain warranty. As soon as you hooked up the the EDGE tuner and turned the key to the ON position you flushed your warranty down the drain. If you peruse the threads at The Diesel Place you'll read about all the people that have had their warranties denied due to the fact that a tuner was installed to their truck. All this info is in the diesel supplement of the owner's manual. When you take your truck to the dealer they will hook up your truck to their scanning device and read what software your truck is running, if it shows a non-GM program being uploaded to your truck's computer they will deny any drivetrain warranty.

X2 - missed that you put an EDGE tuner on it. You're on your own now. Might as well do the dpf delete and load the correct tune into the EDGE. Dealer won't touch it now... Good Luck - pay to play as they say...

I guess your best bet would be if your computer became some how damaged and needed to be replaced. Then GM wouldn't be able to detect that you had a tuner on it hopefully. That would be a real shame to have your warranty voided because of that tuner.

If you read this post. A member here (post 9) bought his diablo from his dealer which also sells Superchips as well. There is a dealer outside of Columbus Georgia where I had my truck fixed once that sold Diablo's as well. I can't speak for the Edge but alot of it is scare tactics.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=diablosport

If you read this post. A member here (post 9) bought his diablo from his dealer which also sells Superchips as well. There is a dealer outside of Columbus Georgia where I had my truck fixed once that sold Diablo's as well. I can't speak for the Edge but alot of it is scare tactics.

I said no reputable dealer would sell a product they know full well will void the warranty of a truck, especially a new one. I'm sure that there are dealers that sell tuners, and say they will stand behind the warranty if something goes wrong. I don't believe it though, if you smoke a duramax, GM WILL NOT cover the repair if a tuner is involved, and a dealer is sure as hell not going to pay for a $10K repair despite what they say. I wonder if whoever sold the tuner to the OP told him that his warranty was gone as soon as he installed it. Likely not. Too bad for him it would appear.

As far as scare tactics - it isn't any tactic - you install a tuner on a GM product and then try for a warranty claim, you will be denied, your warranty will be blocked, and if you want it fixed, you will pay the bill. Simple as that.

The tuner only voids the warranty if that is the cause of the failure. You might want to look into the laws on this before opening your mouth. I had an edge on my VortecMax before this and it blew the top end out of it and the dealer rebuilt it no questions asked it was even installed on the truck when I took it in. The truck wouldn't regenerate even in stock form on the tuner so quit blaming the tuner. Its these idiotic, tree hugging, tofu farting farries that came up with this that cause the problems, coming up with these stupid ideas. Remove the DPF filter won't void the warranty on anything but the exhaust system; which is coming off anyway. I chipped my Dad's 05 Duramax and did an exhaust on it and the dealer never had any warranty issues on it.

Here is information from detroits big 3

http://www.fuelsavings-greenemissionstechn...yStatements.pdf

The tuner only voids the warranty if that is the cause of the failure. You might want to look into the laws on this before opening your mouth.

You might want to look at your warranty statement included in the the Duramax supplement before you open your mouth. It clearly says that the use of any device that alters the parameters of the stock configuration will VOID your warranty. PERIOD. You might have screwed GM over with your Vortec, but you won't with a Duramax. GM doesn't have to prove that the tuner damaged anything, only that you had one on the truck.

For your reference:

#08-06-04-006G: Identifying Non-GM ECM Calibration Usages and Power-Up Hardware Detection for Duramax Diesel Engines-Photograph Tech 2 Calibration IDs and CVNs and Trans Data Screen Before Removing Engine/Trans - (Nov 9, 2009)

Subject: Information on Identifying Non-GM ECM Calibration Usages for Duramax™ Diesel Engines RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM and Power-up Hardware Detection for Duramax™ Diesel Engine RPO LMM -- Photograph Tech 2® Calibration IDs and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVNs) and Transmission Data Screen Before Removing Engine/Transmission/Drivetrain Components

Models: 2005-2010 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado

2005-2010 GMC Savana, Sierra, TopKick

Equipped With Duramax™ Diesel Engine RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM

Please Refer to GMVIS

Attention: In order to process an engine/transmission/drivetrain hard part WARRANTY CLAIM, you MUST photograph the required Tech 2® screen information BEFORE disassembly or removing engine/transmission/drivetrain components from the vehicle.

This bulletin is being revised to add Tech 2® screen graphics and update the PQC and TAC contact procedure information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006F (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission, diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and exhaust particulate filter failures that are the result of non-GM ( aftermarket Power-up Kits ) engine and transmission control calibrations being used. When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components such as the engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of first sale, or subsequently updated by GM or its dealers with approved calibrations. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life. Additionally, non-GM issued engine control modifications do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.

This bulletin outlines procedures to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine, transmission, transfer case or rear axle components, and before disassembly, repair or replacement of an engine, transmission, transfer case or rear axle assembly under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) needs replacement.

Note: BEFORE authorizing any Duramax™ diesel engine or transmission replacement, the PQC will require digital photographs of the following Tech 2® screens:

• For RPOs LLY and LBZ only: Calibration ID Numbers and Verification Numbers from the Vehicle Information screen

• For RPO LMM only: Calibration ID Numbers and Verification Numbers from the Vehicle Information AND the Programming History screen.

• For RPO LMM only: Transmission Data screen containing the Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque parameter.

Symptoms Caused by Aftermarket Power-up Kit

Some customers may have reprogrammed the engine control module (ECM) with a non-GM released calibration. The Power-Up Kit engine calibration changes fueling and timing parameters and likely contributes to the following vehicle conditions:

• Poor performance

• Driveability concerns

• Increased emissions

• Black smoke (This symptom is not valid for the Duramax™ diesel engine RPO LMM equipped with the exhaust particulate filter. The filter will trap black smoke unless it is cracked, melted or has been removed from the exhaust system.)

• Knocking noise

• Engine damage (Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-01-007C for additional information.)

2005-2007 RPO LLY and LBZ Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Numbers (CVNs) -- Power-up Kit Detection

Important: In order to process an engine/transmission/drivetrain WARRANTY CLAIM , you MUST photograph the required Tech 2® screen information BEFORE disassembly or removing the engine/transmission/drivetrain components from the vehicle.

Go to TIS2WEB

Select: Calibration Information (SPS Info)

Enter the VIN

Select: Get Cal ID

Select: ECM Engine Control Module

Select: Next

Select: Complete History

Print

Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®

Plug in the Tech 2®

Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

Select: Powertrain

Select: Engine

*Select: Engine Control Module

*Select: Module ID Information or I/M Information System if Module ID Information selection is not available.

*If: I/M Information System was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select: Vehicle Information in order to display the calibration information.

*Steps may vary by engine controller.

Compare the Calibration ID and Calibration Verification Number (CVN) to the CVN shown on the TIS2WEB printout. Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it is the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. The CVNs should be the same.

⇒ If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A" , it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

⇒ If the part numbers match and ANY CVNs DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

⇒ If ALL of the CVNs are EXACTLY the same the calibration is GM issued.

Vehicle Information Screen

Take clear digital picture(s) of the Tech 2® Vehicle Information screen(s) showing the VIN, the Calibration IDs and the Verification Numbers. Retain the printout information and the Tech 2® screen photographs with the repair order.

18.1. E-mail copies of the digital pictures to [email protected]. In the subject line of the E-mail include the phrase "Duramax™ diesel", the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the E-mail include the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC. Include a brief description of the customer concern and cause of the concern.

Note: The dealer will receive an email reply after the calibrations have been validated. The email reply will advise the dealer if the calibrations are OEM.

18.2. Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.

⇒ If the PQC determines that the calibrations ARE aftermarket calibrations, DO NOT contact GM Technical Assistance to discuss warranty concerns on the aftermarket calibrations. ALL questions and concerns about warranty should be directed to the dealers Fixed Operations Manager (FOM), (Warranty Manager (WM) in Canada).

18.3. You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the required information for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review the information and set up a case on the request. Be prepared to provide all of the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.

2007-2010 RPO LMM Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Numbers (CVNs) -- Power-up Kit Detection

Important: In order to process an engine/transmission/drivetrain WARRANTY CLAIM , you MUST photograph the required Tech 2® screen information BEFORE disassembly or removing the engine/transmission/drivetrain components from the vehicle.

For 2007-2010 applications, an engine control module (ECM) algorithm was implemented that records the engine calibration part number and calibration verification number (CVN) for the last 10 flash programming events. The ECM records the engine calibration part number because it contains the parameters for increasing torque and fueling rates.

If a vehicle comes in for service for a driveability/powertrain concern as a result of a Power-Up Kit installation, the dealership technician can read the last 10 engine calibration part numbers and CVN history using a Tech 2®.

The dealership technician will input each ECM calibration part number into the TIS2WEB/SPS CVN database to confirm the CVN history information. Refer to the following Tech 2® path table to verify the ECM calibrations.

Build the vehicle with the Tech 2®.

Select F0: Engine Control Module.

Select F5: Module Identification Information.

Select F1: Programming History.

Turn On the ignition, with the engine Off.

Press the ENTER Key to Continue.

Important: An original production engine operation part number programmed in the ECM from the supplier, which is the last part number shown, would not be in the TIS2WEB/SPS database.

Record the Calibration ID Numbers and Calibration Verification Numbers from the Tech 2® Programming History Screen. If the list of Calibration Part Numbers is less than 10, the first Calibration ID Number (bottom of the list) will not be in TIS2WEB/SPS CVN database. In this case, the first Calibration ID Number is programmed at the ECM production factory and is reprogrammed at the vehicle assembly plant.

From TIS2WEB/SPS, record the Calibration Part Number into the CVN Database. Get the CVN.

⇒ If the CVN DOES NOT MATCH the CVN database, an unauthorized engine calibration part WAS PROGRAMMED into the ECM.

⇒ If the CVN MATCHES the CVN database, the calibration/s are GM issued and an unauthorized engine calibration part WAS NOT used.

Programming History Screen

Take a clear digital picture of the Tech 2® Programming History screen showing the VIN, Calibration IDs and the CVNs. Retain the printout information and the Tech 2® screen photograph with the repair order.

9.1. Take a clear digital picture of the Tech 2® Vehicle Information screen. Retain the printout information and the Tech 2® screen photograph with the repair order.

9.2. Take a clear digital picture of the Transmission Data screen that contains the Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque parameter. The path table is outlined in the following Instructions for Tech 2 Transmission Data Path section. Retain the Tech 2® Transmission Data screen photograph with the repair order.

9.3. E-mail copies of the digital pictures to [email protected]. In the subject line of the E-mail include the phrase "Duramax™ diesel", the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the E-mail include the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC. Include a brief description of the customer concern and cause of the concern.

Note: The dealer will receive an email reply after the calibrations have been validated. The email reply will advise the dealer if the calibrations are OEM.

9.4. Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.

⇒ If the PQC determines that the calibrations ARE aftermarket calibrations, DO NOT contact GM Technical Assistance to discuss warranty concerns on the aftermarket calibrations. ALL questions and concerns about warranty should be directed to the dealers Fixed Operations Manager (FOM), (Warranty Manager (WM) in Canada).

9.5. You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the required information for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review the information and set up a case on the request. Be prepared to provide all of the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.

2007-2010 RPO LMM Instructions for Tech 2 Transmission Data Path -- Power-up Hardware Detection

Transmission Data ONLY Available With GMC Sierra, TopKick, Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado

An example of this hardware is a propane injection system.

A transmission control module (TCM) algorithm has been implemented that records a maximum calculated input torque. This information is available via the Tech 2®.

Select F3: Transmission Control Module

Select F1: Data Display

Select F0: Transmission Data

Highlight: Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque

Transmission Data Screen (Max. Trans Calc. Engine Torque Parameter)

Take a clear digital picture of the Tech 2® screen showing the Transmission Data and the Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque parameter.

Retain the Tech 2® Transmission Data screen photograph with the repair order.

Warranty Information

• The Dealership Service Management must be involved in any situation that would justify the use of labor operation Z1111.

• Notify the Fixed Operations Manager (FOM) (Warranty Manager (WM) in Canada) of the situation.

• All claims will have to be routed to the FOM (WM in Canada) for approval.

• Please refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 09-00-89-016, Labor Operation Z1111 - Suspected Tampering or Vehicle Modifications for important information.

Sorry - you lost on this one...

The tuner only voids the warranty if that is the cause of the failure. You might want to look into the laws on this before opening your mouth.

You might want to look at your warranty statement included in the the Duramax supplement before you open your mouth. It clearly says that the use of any device that alters the parameters of the stock configuration will VOID your warranty. PERIOD. You might have screwed GM over with your Vortec, but you won't with a Duramax. GM doesn't have to prove that the tuner damaged anything, only that you had one on the truck.

For your reference:

#08-06-04-006G: Identifying Non-GM ECM Calibration Usages and Power-Up Hardware Detection for Duramax Diesel Engines-Photograph Tech 2 Calibration IDs and CVNs and Trans Data Screen Before Removing Engine/Trans - (Nov 9, 2009)

Subject: Information on Identifying Non-GM ECM Calibration Usages for Duramax™ Diesel Engines RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM and Power-up Hardware Detection for Duramax™ Diesel Engine RPO LMM -- Photograph Tech 2® Calibration IDs and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVNs) and Transmission Data Screen Before Removing Engine/Transmission/Drivetrain Components

Models: 2005-2010 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado

2005-2010 GMC Savana, Sierra, TopKick

Equipped With Duramax™ Diesel Engine RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM

Please Refer to GMVIS

Attention: In order to process an engine/transmission/drivetrain hard part WARRANTY CLAIM, you MUST photograph the required Tech 2® screen information BEFORE disassembly or removing engine/transmission/drivetrain components from the vehicle.

This bulletin is being revised to add Tech 2® screen graphics and update the PQC and TAC contact procedure information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006F (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission, diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and exhaust particulate filter failures that are the result of non-GM ( aftermarket Power-up Kits ) engine and transmission control calibrations being used. When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components such as the engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of first sale, or subsequently updated by GM or its dealers with approved calibrations. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life. Additionally, non-GM issued engine control modifications do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.

This bulletin outlines procedures to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine, transmission, transfer case or rear axle components, and before disassembly, repair or replacement of an engine, transmission, transfer case or rear axle assembly under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) needs replacement.

Note: BEFORE authorizing any Duramax™ diesel engine or transmission replacement, the PQC will require digital photographs of the following Tech 2® screens:

• For RPOs LLY and LBZ only: Calibration ID Numbers and Verification Numbers from the Vehicle Information screen

• For RPO LMM only: Calibration ID Numbers and Verification Numbers from the Vehicle Information AND the Programming History screen.

• For RPO LMM only: Transmission Data screen containing the Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque parameter.

Symptoms Caused by Aftermarket Power-up Kit

Some customers may have reprogrammed the engine control module (ECM) with a non-GM released calibration. The Power-Up Kit engine calibration changes fueling and timing parameters and likely contributes to the following vehicle conditions:

• Poor performance

• Driveability concerns

• Increased emissions

• Black smoke (This symptom is not valid for the Duramax™ diesel engine RPO LMM equipped with the exhaust particulate filter. The filter will trap black smoke unless it is cracked, melted or has been removed from the exhaust system.)

• Knocking noise

• Engine damage (Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-01-007C for additional information.)

2005-2007 RPO LLY and LBZ Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Numbers (CVNs) -- Power-up Kit Detection

Go to TIS2WEB

Select: Calibration Information (SPS Info)

Enter the VIN

Select: Get Cal ID

Select: ECM Engine Control Module

Select: Next

Select: Complete History

Print

Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®

Plug in the Tech 2®

Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

Select: Powertrain

Select: Engine

*Select: Engine Control Module

*Select: Module ID Information or I/M Information System if Module ID Information selection is not available.

*If: I/M Information System was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select: Vehicle Information in order to display the calibration information.

*Steps may vary by engine controller.

Compare the Calibration ID and Calibration Verification Number (CVN) to the CVN shown on the TIS2WEB printout. Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it is the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. The CVNs should be the same.

⇒ If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A" , it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

⇒ If the part numbers match and ANY CVNs DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

⇒ If ALL of the CVNs are EXACTLY the same the calibration is GM issued.

Take clear digital picture(s) of the Tech 2® Vehicle Information screen(s) showing the VIN, the Calibration IDs and the Verification Numbers. Retain the printout information and the Tech 2® screen photographs with the repair order.

18.1. E-mail copies of the digital pictures to [email protected]. In the subject line of the E-mail include the phrase "Duramax™ diesel", the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the E-mail include the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC. Include a brief description of the customer concern and cause of the concern.

18.2. Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.

18.3. You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the required information for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review the information and set up a case on the request. Be prepared to provide all of the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.

2007-2010 RPO LMM Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Numbers (CVNs) -- Power-up Kit Detection

For 2007-2010 applications, an engine control module (ECM) algorithm was implemented that records the engine calibration part number and calibration verification number (CVN) for the last 10 flash programming events. The ECM records the engine calibration part number because it contains the parameters for increasing torque and fueling rates.

If a vehicle comes in for service for a driveability/powertrain concern as a result of a Power-Up Kit installation, the dealership technician can read the last 10 engine calibration part numbers and CVN history using a Tech 2®.

The dealership technician will input each ECM calibration part number into the TIS2WEB/SPS CVN database to confirm the CVN history information. Refer to the following Tech 2® path table to verify the ECM calibrations.

Select F0: Engine Control Module.

Select F5: Module Identification Information.

Select F1: Programming History.

Turn On the ignition, with the engine Off.

Press the ENTER Key to Continue.

Important: An original production engine operation part number programmed in the ECM from the supplier, which is the last part number shown, would not be in the TIS2WEB/SPS database.

Record the Calibration ID Numbers and Calibration Verification Numbers from the Tech 2® Programming History Screen. If the list of Calibration Part Numbers is less than 10, the first Calibration ID Number (bottom of the list) will not be in TIS2WEB/SPS CVN database. In this case, the first Calibration ID Number is programmed at the ECM production factory and is reprogrammed at the vehicle assembly plant.

From TIS2WEB/SPS, record the Calibration Part Number into the CVN Database. Get the CVN.

⇒ If the CVN DOES NOT MATCH the CVN database, an unauthorized engine calibration part WAS PROGRAMMED into the ECM.

⇒ If the CVN MATCHES the CVN database, the calibration/s are GM issued and an unauthorized engine calibration part WAS NOT used.

Programming History Screen

Take a clear digital picture of the Tech 2® Programming History screen showing the VIN, Calibration IDs and the CVNs. Retain the printout information and the Tech 2® screen photograph with the repair order.

9.1. Take a clear digital picture of the Tech 2® Vehicle Information screen. Retain the printout information and the Tech 2® screen photograph with the repair order.

9.2. Take a clear digital picture of the Transmission Data screen that contains the Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque parameter. The path table is outlined in the following Instructions for Tech 2 Transmission Data Path section. Retain the Tech 2® Transmission Data screen photograph with the repair order.

9.3. E-mail copies of the digital pictures to [email protected]. In the subject line of the E-mail include the phrase "Duramax™ diesel", the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the E-mail include the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC. Include a brief description of the customer concern and cause of the concern.

9.4. Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.

9.5. You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the required information for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review the information and set up a case on the request. Be prepared to provide all of the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.

2007-2010 RPO LMM Instructions for Tech 2 Transmission Data Path -- Power-up Hardware Detection

Transmission Data ONLY Available With GMC Sierra, TopKick, Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado

An example of this hardware is a propane injection system.

A transmission control module (TCM) algorithm has been implemented that records a maximum calculated input torque. This information is available via the Tech 2®.

Select F3: Transmission Control Module

Select F1: Data Display

Select F0: Transmission Data

Highlight: Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque

Transmission Data Screen (Max. Trans Calc. Engine Torque Parameter)

Take a clear digital picture of the Tech 2® screen showing the Transmission Data and the Max Transmission Calc Engine Torque parameter.

Retain the Tech 2® Transmission Data screen photograph with the repair order.

Warranty Information

• The Dealership Service Management must be involved in any situation that would justify the use of labor operation Z1111.

• Notify the Fixed Operations Manager (FOM) (Warranty Manager (WM) in Canada) of the situation.

• All claims will have to be routed to the FOM (WM in Canada) for approval.

• Please refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 09-00-89-016, Labor Operation Z1111 - Suspected Tampering or Vehicle Modifications for important information.

Sorry - you lost on this one...

I've had a similar fight with GM on something like this before it was on a 2002 Firebird that shelled the transmission off the showroom floor but they didn't except the failure till about 3,500 miles when it started ruining other parts. They said it was caused by aftermarket modification and wasn't covered but still ended up replacing the transmission, flywheel and clutch due to The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically this is just a pissing contest between people. I don't know of anyone that has had their warranty voided because of mods that didn't actually cause the damage. Do you?

Archived