Would You Recomend An S10

hi guys i am over here in england just had a reasonable offer on my 96 silverado so am looking at replacements

have seen a nice looking 2002 s10 on e bay engine is 4.3 extra cab sportside buck

are they any good and what should i look for if i get to see it in person

thanks for any help

+1 i clocked around 450k on my s-10 before i got rid of it, only thing i ever did was maintance...be warned i've heard horror storys of CV joints wearing out easily on them...i'd take an s-10 over a colorado anyday though

+2. I had a 92 S10 with the 4.3 (non-vortec) that I absolutely loved. I needed 4wd to pull snowmobile trailer and get in and out of trail-head lots, so I traded it on a 97 1/2 ton with the Vortec 4.3L. Traded that in on an 02 S10 ZR2 4.3L Vortec. Loved every one of them.

Recently, it's been getting to the point where I want to pull more than just the sled trailer so I went shopping for a full size and ended up with my 08 CC VMax. If I ever don't need to have the V8, I'd be more than happy to jump back in a S10, but NEVER a Colorado!

Very solid vehicle overall. I've owned several over the years without issue. As long as it's properly maintained, they are a nice vehicle. :P

my dad worked with a guy that had like an 86 S10 with like 450k on it. The doors were rusted off, no hood (old enough it doesn't have much electrical to protect, and he covered what needed it) tailgate and bed sides were long gone, bed had holes all over (you didn't dare stand in it for fear of your feet going through the metal), the truck looked like it had should be getting TOWED out of the junkyard.

The thing still started up and pulled as hard as it did in 1986. Unfortunately he did get rid of it. He had no choice when he got an alignment and the shop refused to do it because they said the frame rust was so bad they thought it might collapse at any time. He pulled the engine and tranny, hauled it off to a junkyard. Pulling into the junkyard, the frame snapped in two :P ended up dragging it through the yard. In one piece of course, but barely :cool:

Oh, and this guy could afford to buy a new truck. He did. He reels in nearly six digits. Just a simple guy. he had no need for anything fancy.

The S/10 with the 4.3 is a great/durable powerplant. I had a few Blazer's with that set up and they seemed to run forever and took a beating. My 1991 had over 300,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and was never low on oil.

I also owned a 2000 S/10 Blazer ZR2 with the 4.3 Vortec and it was great. Never had any problems with it, towed atv's with it, dump trailors without any problems. It's a strond engine for it's size.

S-10's are great trucks, the ZR-2 is awesome and dont forget the Syclone and Typhoon!!!

For those that say the Coli is junk, I beg to differ... they are great trucks as long as you have the 5 cylinder. Mine was a 2005 Z-71 4x4 with the 3.5L 5 banger. Great truck and never once had an issue with it. Wish I could have kept it......

DSCF1089.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

S10's are very solid vehicles. I had a 91 S10 Blazer with the 4.3 and I loved that lil' SUV. The 4x4 worked great and could hang with any 4Runner or Jeep I met. I would highly suggest an S10 to anyone looking at one. I sold mine running strong with 280K on the odo. One of my biggest regrets is letting that truck go.

I had a '96 2wd 4 banger...had to get rid of it cause I couldn't work with it or go anywhere when the weather got remotely bad, but I liked the build of it. If I would've gotten the 6 cyl/4wd I'm sure I'd still be drivin it today (along with my Silverado)

Archived