Fuel Mileage/cruise Control Ques

I use cruise in mine all the time because I think that it allows the AFM to kick in more often, at least on mine. My drive every Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon is 250 miles and I usually get around 19-20 MPG on this ride with the cruise set most of the way.

I use cruise in mine all the time because I think that it allows the AFM to kick in more often, at least on mine. My drive every Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon is 250 miles and I usually get around 19-20 MPG on this ride with the cruise set most of the way.

AFM only turns on when there is 6% or less throttle position and thats where the best fuel mileage is

The truck is a 2010 5.3l AFM Silverado. What would earn better fuel mileage on the highway.. if I used cruise control or having a smart foot. I feel like using the cruise control saves me gas but I may be wrong.

Also I dont have a bed cover anyone recommend a decent one?

Depends on your driving style.

If you're going for maximum MPG, then the smart foot will be better (you can coast up hills, etc). Whereas the cruise will try to maintain constant speed (so downshifting etc).

If you want to keep a constant speed, then the cruise will work better since it will be avoiding rapid throttle movements.

I find that on long drives my smart foot gets lazy, so I'm always fighting to maintain speed. I typically use the cruise.

I tried this once. I smart footed it for 100 miles and used CC for another 100 miles. My foot got the better mileage on similar highway. I live in a pretty flat area, so it was pretty easy to do. There was only about a 1 mpg difference, but i guess it all adds up... i usually use CC though because i like it better. :)

Nice. I just did a 350 mile drive and yielded 17.5mpg but it was northeast lil more hills and i dont have a cover for the bed.

from everything i've ever read, cruise yields more mpg...

Ya I feel that way for sure but I also think my foot works better because I can avoid the cruise controls higher rev up a hill and keep a longer afm v4 down hills.

However cc convience is sometimes worth it!

Id say cc on the flats then foot for the hills!

• 2 weeks later...

my cruise won't usually get over 18, my foot can get 20+

the problem with cruise is that it can't anticipate. it kicks into 8 to get up to speed then dumps to 4, loses speed, then dumps back to 8. in my area, if you stay in 8 a little longer than cruise and then take advantage of hills you can stay in 4 way longer as a net gain.

my cruise won't usually get over 18, my foot can get 20+

the problem with cruise is that it can't anticipate. it kicks into 8 to get up to speed then dumps to 4, loses speed, then dumps back to 8. in my area, if you stay in 8 a little longer than cruise and then take advantage of hills you can stay in 4 way longer as a net gain.

see mine is the opposite, it will not change rpms at all on hills...but the again i'm banging 8 cylinders all day every day :D

Archived