Custom Home Made Nerf Bars

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good. Im thinking about making some myself, but Im thinking about using 3" EMT conduit since the wall thickness is the same as the N-Fab brand. Yours have to be heavy as hell.

BTW, where in East Texas were you from?

Looks good. Im thinking about making some myself, but Im thinking about using 3" EMT conduit since the wall thickness is the same as the N-Fab brand. Yours have to be heavy as hell.

I would wonder about the workability, and weldability of the conduit. Its so thin that it might be harder to bend in a cheap bender, and harder to weld as well because its not a mild steel. Mine ended up probably around 25 -30lbs. I hung them by myself without a problem. I have seen some of the 3" bars on some trucks and I think they look good on the crewcab lwb trucks for sure, but they seem a little heavy on the half ton swb or less than crew cabs.

I was born in raised in Jacksonville tx. Now in Aledo, by Weatherford.

I would wonder about the workability, and weldability of the conduit. Its so thin that it might be harder to bend in a cheap bender, and harder to weld as well because its not a mild steel. Mine ended up probably around 25 -30lbs. I hung them by myself without a problem. I have seen some of the 3" bars on some trucks and I think they look good on the crewcab lwb trucks for sure, but they seem a little heavy on the half ton swb or less than crew cabs.

Ive done stuff out of conduit before without any problems. Just turn the MIG way down.

I live 20 miles from Jacksonville, and my wife grew up there.

Ive done stuff out of conduit before without any problems. Just turn the MIG way down.

the world gets smaller everyday. Your wife and mine probably went to school together. She used to be a Russell.

the world gets smaller everyday. Your wife and mine probably went to school together. She used to be a Russell.

My wife actually went to school in Rusk, class or 03, but she knows quite a few people from J-ville. She has alot of family that went there. She used to be a Turney.

• 4 weeks later...
Those looks really nice, thinks i'm going to build some. Do you you know the diameter of the pipe you used??

Its 2" sprinkler pipe. Accurate dimensions, although a crude drawing, are on page 2 of this thread.

Looks great. Might have to try this one.

I'm getting going on a front bumper like the trail ready bumpers now. Going to be fun.

I love stuff like that. My wife says thats why I trade trucks so often. I like building stuff to put on it, what can I say. I told her that my expensive hobbies could be worse. I could be like Charlie Sheen and spend my money on dope and whores, instead of on my truck.

• 4 years later...

I would be interested in your plans as I, too, am a Harbor Freight shopper, but, own a 2002 avalanche. I would have to modify your plans to make it work on my newly dipped avi, but, no problemo. I live in Michigan and had to do some rust repair on this little honey, but, I have owned it since new and can't bear to part with it. I have rebuilt the suspension, gave it a lift, new MT Baja with some custom black wheels, and rebuilt tranny. I had it dipped matte black from the white w/ cladding. My wife calls it the Darth Vader truck. It drives better and looks bad ass. I am going to ditch the stock bumpers and build my own offroad pipe bumpers, front and back. Also, putting a safari cargo rack on top with an LED light bar and some other necessities required for SHTF. Anyway, it is all in good fun and is my toy car now. Thanks for the pics. They look awesome and I would like a set for my toy.

Archived