5.3 To A 6.0

Comment section of the video said it was "new and will soon be available to the public at a very affordable price".

Stock LQ4 and LQ9 are only 20HP apart.

Stock they are. The LQ9 can quickly become an NA monster

I put in a request to ATK for the cam specs... so we'll see what's up with that.

I did get their full engine list. (The new H/O LQ9 is not on it yet.)

Their "normal" remanufactured engines come with a 3yr / Unlimited mileage warranty (2yr on High Performance engines)

They're sold through Summit Racing Engines and Advance Auto Parts among several others...

Looks like their main reman facility is in Monterrey Mexico... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN0pmeaj0F0

Another shop is in Houston TX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUGVG1tHbo

They claim to build about 140 engines per day. The largest engine remanufacturer in North America.

I've read online reviews good and bad...

From my local Advance Auto Parts, they have the following part numbers and prices:

Stock LQ4 - Part Number DCTF - $2197 http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spartan-atk-engines-spartan-remanufactured-chevy-engine-dctf/20705653-P?zoneAssigned=1

Stock LQ4 with tinware (valley cover/timing chain cover/oil pan) - Part Number VCTF - $2459 http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spartan-atk-engines-reman-engine-vctf/10472705-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=vctf&showTitle=

Stock LQ9 - Part Number DCTK - $3114 http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spartan-atk-engines-spartan-remanufactured-chevy-engine-dctk/4010697-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=dctk&showTitle=

H/O LQ4 (460HP/470TQ) - Part Number - HP93 - $3823http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spartan-atk-engines-performance-engine-hp93/10843683-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=hp93&showTitle=

No shipping fees, only local sales tax applies as you pick it up at the local Advance store and they have a $610 core charge.

Just something to think about... Not trying to drag this thread off topic.

• Like 1

I actually got 2 replies:

#1 "The camshaft is very street able and is intended for daily driver trucks and SUVs. We do not release all of our cams specs until the engine is purchased but duration is in the 215-225 range and lift is no higher than .560"

#2 "It's meant as a replacement engine for the 2001-2007 Chevy Truck so it's based upon streetability. We do not give out the cam specs, but they will come with the engine so you can tune your ECM."

There's a fella over on LS1tech.com that said he bought one and the specs on the cam are 216/224 - .551 - 114 LSA - Very close to email #1

He put in an 2001 T/A

Dyno'd in 2nd gear 365 hp/399 tq at the wheels...

Its this cam http://www.competitionproducts.com/Howards-Hydraulic-Roller-Cam-Chev-Gen-III-LS-Series-3-Bolt-216_224-050-551_551-114-LS/productinfo/190235-14/#.VNUD0o05CUk

When I expressed my doubts about the HP/TQ figures, they responded:

"As far as the power level goes we do recommend a tune, headers and a free flow intake. The engine has been upgraded with a performance camshaft, valve springs, piston, and the head flow is improved because we do a multi-angle valve job."

Edited by PJB1972

95 HP loss on dyno? My tune only LQ9 out 325 to the wheels

:dunno:

15-20% loss is not uncommon....

Too many variables really. Like what trans, what condition is the trans, what gear was it in, blah blah blah.

20% of 460 is 92 so that's not too far off.

Playing Devils advocate, I'm sure the company threw everything at it when they dyno'd it to set the HP/TQ figures.

i.e. High rise intakes, big ass carbs, 93 octane gas or more, killer tune, higher elevation, cold weather and who knows what else.

That dyno run looked solid though...

You can not compare factory numbers to crate engine numbers, the testing is very different.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1307-ls-cam-test-comparison/

First baseline test there is a LM7 tested as a crate motor would be with possibly better than factory tuning.55hp 50tq up on factory rating.

The ATK engine can't be all that aggressive seeing as the graph ends at 6000rpm.

The factory engine is tested exactly as installed, crate engines often aren't even driving so much as a waterpump much less full accessory drive, air filter, open headers instead of manifold and full exhaust etc.

450hp at the flywheel from a 6.0l should be mild yet, start talking rear wheel with in car losses and a 3500stall is likely appropriate but still not all that nasty.

450hp at the flywheel from a 6.0l should be mild yet, start talking rear wheel with in car losses and a 3500stall is likely appropriate but still not all that nasty.

Would make for a good replacement motor, I think Edited by PJB1972

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when I had more enthusiasm than $$. But swapping these engines for HP is a foolish choice from a money perspective. Buying a truck with the 6.2L is where I'd start. If that wasn't enough, work on that truck.

Edited by spurshot

I remember when I had more enthusiasm than $$. But swapping these engines for HP is a foolish choice from a money perspective. Buying a truck with the 6.2L is where I'd start. If that wasn't enough, work on that truck.

I remember those days too... they're LONG gone as I'm now 43 years old and 100% debt free (except for my house).

I wouldn't do this swap just for the few ponies gained, either.

But I would swap these engines if I had a truck with over 300K miles (which I do) and my current motor was on the way out (which it is) and I was adamant about not going into debt for a new truck (which I won't).

So, If I were faced with the option of spending a couple of grand rebuilding a 5.3 or a couple of grand on a remanufactured 6.0... I'd lean towards the 6.0.

• Like 1

Everyone has a hobby that they "waste money on", if someone is willing to spend say a grand swapping to a junkyard 6.0l and in the precess say flush the cooling system, tranny and power steering so be it. How many folks spend more smoking, or sitting in bars, or on season tickets to professional sporting events etc.

Years ago I had a coworker give me greif for modifying my everyday car, guy was a complete jerk about everything in life. I simply responded I spent less on my car than he did smoking and spending weekends in the bar, NEVER heard another word from him on the subject in the 8 more years I worked with him.

One other guy gave me greif, but he had a new Lund with 4 stroke Honda and all the electronics, that he wouldn't take out of the garage because gas was expensive at the time. I had less in buying and modifying the daily driver car than he had in a boat he wasn't using.

If you enjoy working on vehicles or even just enjoy a little more pep and this way get to enjoy it ever day then why not. Just don't get carried away and put some huge duration cam in that lugs and surges and such. How many folks get to enjoy their hobby on the way to and from work each day?

• Like 2

guy was a complete jerk about everything in life.

Those folks seem to be everywhere these days... :shakehead:

I think if I was going to swap out one "widget" for another... I'm going to look around and find the best "widget" I can afford.

That's what makes life fun.

Look for value, if you find comparable LQ4 and LQ9 and the LQ9 is another $800, you could make the LQ4 better for that $800. The difference is flat top pistons for more compression and 91 octane tuning, betting the tuning is half the 20hp stock difference, maybe more.

• Like 1