To Re-program Or Not To Re-program

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2X4 with a 5.3L engine. Looking to improve fuel economy as much as possible. Considering re-programming the computer by purchasing an after-market re-programmer. Any serious suggestions on which one might work best?

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2X4 with a 5.3L engine. Looking to improve fuel economy as much as possible. Considering re-programming the computer by purchasing an after-market re-programmer. Any serious suggestions on which one might work best?

Blackbear Custom Tune. I found the handhelds were too generic.

From my experience you can save your money on programmers but then maybe it was just the one I had. Had gotten an E-Con programer that was supposed to save gas but I kept a ledger of the gallons and odometer reading before and after installation which showed that I actually got worse mileage with the programmer. Set things back to the factory settings and threw the programmer away.

i have a superchips becasue i got an amazing deal on it. got it from a local kid who didnt want it. i paid 150 for it brand new, costs 370 new. but i am pretty happy with it. i consistently get 2-3 MPG better with the fuel economy tune, also has 93 and 87 oct tunes, towing tunes. and i can take it off whenever i want in about 2 minutes.

custom tuning will get you way better results than any handheld.

mail order tunes can help better than any handheld.

personally I just said to heck with it and bought HP Tuners and learned to tune, been doing it for about 6 years now on several different trucks. I get custom results and can make as many different adjustments/ tunes as I want and set it back to stock if I desire at any time.

Archived