Best Engine Oil For 2011 Silverado?

Ive always used synthetic oil in my trucks. I've just purchased a new silverado and I want to make sure Im putting good oil in it from the start. Is synthetic oil recommended over regular oil? What does GM say? Sorry, this is probably a already discussed a million times but thanks in advance.

I wound up getting Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 because it was Dexos 1 certified (it's got the logo on the bottle), because it was on sale (about $5 at my local auto parts place), because it's a full 100% synthetic, because the reviews said it tested out very well, and because it can deal with extended drain intervals. I've calculated how long my truck will go based on my mileage and oil life indicator, and discovered that my oil will go for > 1 year, so I'm targeting tax day (April 15) for an annual oil change interval for my truck. My thinking was that I wanted the best oil I could get for extended intervals. Also, I went with the Napa Gold oil filter which I learned about on another thread. I've researched them since, and have learned that they're made by Wix, and are a lot better than the crap that the quicky oil change places use or what the dealer uses, and are relatively cheap to buy.

I wound up getting Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 because it was Dexos 1 certified (it's got the logo on the bottle), because it was on sale (about $5 at my local auto parts place), because it's a full 100% synthetic, because the reviews said it tested out very well, and because it can deal with extended drain intervals. I've calculated how long my truck will go based on my mileage and oil life indicator, and discovered that my oil will go for > 1 year, so I'm targeting tax day (April 15) for an annual oil change interval for my truck. My thinking was that I wanted the best oil I could get for extended intervals. Also, I went with the Napa Gold oil filter which I learned about on another thread. I've researched them since, and have learned that they're made by Wix, and are a lot better than the crap that the quicky oil change places use or what the dealer uses, and are relatively cheap to buy.

That's one great thing Synthetic oil has going for it....annual oil changes vice 6 month changes. Especially if your like me and put less than 10K miles on the truck a year.

Ive always used synthetic oil in my trucks. I've just purchased a new silverado and I want to make sure Im putting good oil in it from the start. Is synthetic oil recommended over regular oil? What does GM say? Sorry, this is probably a already discussed a million times but thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you've got a gasoline motor so you'll need to meet the dexos1 spec. Hot off the GM dexos website, here's the list of licensed brands.

I'm using Pennzoil Platinum. I have heard Quaker State/Pennzoil will not have the dexos logo on their bottles until October 2011, but their current oils are dexos approved and have been since 2010 per Pennzoil and per Quaker State.. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP bottles with the logo are just now hitting the shelves. It's my understanding that BP (Castrol), Valvoline, Conoco Phillips (Kendall/Phillips 66, etc) and Amsoil will not be officially licensed as dexos oils, but claim to meet the spec with their top tier oils.

No Amsoil or Royal Purple on there. That will have those oil lovers peeved :cool:

They are as good as or better that the dexose standard....they just likely wont be certified.

This certification costs a lot of money, and while easy for someone like Shell, or Pennzoil who are main stream oil companies, royal purple, and Amsoil are a pretty niche market.

Say the certification is a million bucks;

A million bucks for companies that make billions is nothing....a million bucks for companies that make millions is a little harder to swallow....especially when your looking at 1% of the market, and only 1% of that 1% will actually need the certification.

That's one great thing Synthetic oil has going for it....annual oil changes vice 6 month changes. Especially if your like me and put less than 10K miles on the truck a year.

Oil change once per year? I've always run synthetic and always have had my mileage changed every 3k.

On my 2011 6.2 i did my first oil change about 3500 because when i bought it the manager had used it as his own personal vehicle so it had 1200 miles on it already and wanted to make sure there were no signs of shavings. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic with the mobil 1 filter and no problems. Reset my oil life and now coming up on 11000 and almost time to change again and will use mobil 1 again.

although i'm young i think like an old man

dino=3k/6 months

synthetic=5k

never seen my "change oil soon message" hell i don't even know if its there lol does it cost me more money? yep but it gives me peace of mind

learned some more about Dexos oil tonight by listening to another podcast of the local weekend auto show. Some interest stuff indeed. GM gets royalties for the Dexos something like .32 cents a gallon or something like that. I'll need to find the info and forward on. Kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth about GM being like this for Dexos oil. You gotta use it in the 11 and newer vehicles or else they can deny warranty. Oye. I'll get the info posted on here when I have some more time this weekend.

Oh what the hell. Why put off tomorrow what you can do today.

Listen in at about the 45min part. (3/4 of the way through) Dorcy and John start talking about Dexos oil.

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour3.mp3

The first part of this next hour also has a little continued over about dexos. You folks may find it informative.

http://www.drive-radio.org/drpodcasts/Driv...-11%20Hour4.mp3

Archived