1987 Silverado 350 Tbi Timing

I do not have an emissions label on my truck. I need to set the timing as I just rebuilt the engine. I looking in my Tune Up guide at work but the book stopped in 84.... Clearly missing the boat on EFI and computer controls...

I know I need to disconnect the EST wire... I think I found it when I was wire looming all the engine compartment under the master cylinder... My big question is what to set the timing on. 0 degrees? 2? 4? 8? 16? 32? 64? 128? 256? 512? 1024? 2048? 4096? (the 31337 group know what the powers of 2 come from).....

Anyways guys if anybody knows what to set it at let me know.... I'd like to get my truck buttoned all together this weekend.

Thanks,

Jbo

mine is a 4* or 6* pulls strong and hard.

i am interested in this, did you notice better mpg, better power, have to run higher octane fuel, bump fuel pressure, did power come on sooner? thanks for any help, i need to check timing too and was also going to post a thread asking basically same question.

I run 93 oct,For what i got in the motor and it not being "performance oriented" motor she gets up!had it up 80 in 3rd soon as it hitted od i had to stop for traffic.As for adjusting timing go for it.But i wouldn't go any thing above 8* advanced or you might have some spark knock.Try it at 4* then 6* see which feels better.

I set the timing today. I found the EST connector under the brake booster taped to the bulk head going into the interior of the car.

This is the type of connector (Weather Pack)

205_WPT-1-203.jpg

This is the half that is taped to the harness.

205_WPS-1-203.jpg

I unplugged the connector and set the timing to 0 degrees. Tightened the distributor back down. And rechecked and plugged the EST back up. It stayed at 0 for just a second after I plugged the EST back up then moved up just a bit, after a few seconds.

Maybe I should snap some pictures of the EST wire location. It is a Brown with Black stripe wire. NOT THE Brown with White stripe.... Brown with White stripe kills the injectors..... Ask me how I learned that, but most of you figured out how I learned that.

Jbo

Archived