How Much Is Too Much Tongue Weight?

Hey guys.Even with Equalizer hitch properly set up I'm getting 1-1/2" squat with my truck.Trailer weighs 6000# unloaded with a tongue weight of 737# unloaded.With gear in the front conpartment I would not be surprised if there was 1000# at the hitch.Should I consider air bags or Timbrens or is my truck outclassed by my camper? BTW the 6.2L /3.42 tows great.WOW!!! Thanks for any advice.

According to page 5-61 of your owner's manual, 1100lbs is the maximum tongue weight that you can have on a 1500 series truck using a weight distributing hitch, 600lbs without the weight distributing hitch.

Andy,

Actually, suggested tongue weight is said to be at the very least 10% as stated, but it is suggested to have between 12-15% to help prevent sway.

As for your truck squatting about 1 1/2", that doesn't sound to bad at all. The big question is do you have the proper weight transferred back to the front wheels of the truck? As I understand, you only want to transfer enough weight to the front of the truck to return to the unhooked weight.

The only way to know for sure if you are overloading the truck is to have it loaded like you are going camping, same with the trailer, and weigh the combo with a full tank of gas, and all passengers that would be going most of the time. Actually, you want to weigh the set up 3 times for all the info you need.

1: Truck only

2: Truck & Trailer with wd bars hooked up- this wil tell if you have enough weight transferred back to the trucks front wheels.

3: Truck & Trailer with wd bars unhooked- this will tell you what your tongue weight is.

How much stuff did you have in the bed of the truck? Behind the axle, & in front of the axle?

Also, what trailer did you end up getting?

Chris

Another thought, do any other members know how a level kit will affect setting up a wd hitch???

Tongue weight is supposed to be 10% of the total weight of the trailer. So a 6,000lb trailer would have a 600lb tongue weight.

Actually, tongue weight is supposed to be a minimum of 10%-15% of total loaded trailer weight. This is to avoid swaying.

Sounds like your 1500 is pretty well maxed out. I have an '06 1500 and a 4K# trailer with 485# of tongue weight. I also have a topper and carry about 300# of "Stuff" in the back so that gives me an additional 600# on those rear springs. I don't use a WDH because I have a bad back and I just don't like messing with the thing (just too much hassle).

I have AirLifts on the back of the truck. Of course that does nothing for weight distribution but (as you can see in the pic below) it does give my truck a nice lift. I have no braking issues.

Andy,

Actually, suggested tongue weight is said to be at the very least 10% as stated, but it is suggested to have between 12-15% to help prevent sway.

As for your truck squatting about 1 1/2", that doesn't sound to bad at all. The big question is do you have the proper weight transferred back to the front wheels of the truck? As I understand, you only want to transfer enough weight to the front of the truck to return to the unhooked weight.

The only way to know for sure if you are overloading the truck is to have it loaded like you are going camping, same with the trailer, and weigh the combo with a full tank of gas, and all passengers that would be going most of the time. Actually, you want to weigh the set up 3 times for all the info you need.

1: Truck only

2: Truck & Trailer with wd bars hooked up- this wil tell if you have enough weight transferred back to the trucks front wheels.

3: Truck & Trailer with wd bars unhooked- this will tell you what your tongue weight is.

How much stuff did you have in the bed of the truck? Behind the axle, & in front of the axle?

Also, what trailer did you end up getting?

Chris

Another thought, do any other members know how a level kit will affect setting up a wd hitch???

Thanks Chris for sharing your knowledge.With WD hitch set up on max the front is returned to stock height yet the rear still sags over 1 to 1-1/4 inch.That's with empty propane tanks,little cargo in the truck bed as well as NO water in the holding tank which is located forward of the axle.Even without weighing the trailer/tongue it appears there might be too much weight put on the hitch.I hate the thought of maxing out the WD hitch.

Tongue weight is supposed to be 10% of the total weight of the trailer. So a 6,000lb trailer would have a 600lb tongue weight.

Actually, tongue weight is supposed to be a minimum of 10%-15% of total loaded trailer weight. This is to avoid swaying.

Sounds like your 1500 is pretty well maxed out. I have an '06 1500 and a 4K# trailer with 485# of tongue weight. I also have a topper and carry about 300# of "Stuff" in the back so that gives me an additional 600# on those rear springs. I don't use a WDH because I have a bad back and I just don't like messing with the thing (just too much hassle).

I have AirLifts on the back of the truck. Of course that does nothing for weight distribution but (as you can see in the pic below) it does give my truck a nice lift. I have no braking issues.

Ya.I'm considering Ride Rite air bags as an option.Thanks,Andy.

WDH is used to transfer weight to the front axle of truck and the trailer axles. You have the WDH set up right when the front returns to the unloaded height. The back will usually still be down some, it has a load on it. If you want to level it out, airbags are one option, but make sure the WDH is set up correctly first. Your truck should handle that 6000 lb trailer okay... unless you are exceeding your truck's payload (don't load up the truck bed along with 4 people and the dog in the cab)...

WDH is used to transfer weight to the front axle of truck and the trailer axles. You have the WDH set up right when the front returns to the unloaded height. The back will usually still be down some, it has a load on it. If you want to level it out, airbags are one option, but make sure the WDH is set up correctly first. Your truck should handle that 6000 lb trailer okay... unless you are exceeding your truck's payload (don't load up the truck bed along with 4 people and the dog in the cab)...

Hi,

You may have seen that Air Lift is a new forum sponsor. It sounds as if you've done your homework. If everything else is working right, you definitely can add air springs to what you already have to level it out. We're always supposed to say, never exceed the GVWR for your truck! Good luck with the rig...

What are your settings on the Equal-i-zer? When you say it is set up properly, do you have not only the lifts adjusted properly, but the correct number of washers in? Is your shank the correct length/drop?

I tow almost 8k with about 1100 tongue weight first thing in the mornings, then down to about 700. Granted I have a 3/4 ton with stiffer springs, but with that weight being well within the limits of your truck, you should be able to use the EQ to adjust things so that you are level.

Mine when it is totally empty, is about an 1 1/2" up on the nose of the trailer, slightly raising the rear of the truck. However I only have it empty for maybe 10 miles out of 100-125 per day. I do it that way so that everything is level for stability and sway control for 98% of the day, as well as better tire wear on the trailer. Air bags/springs would certainly do the trick without a doubt, however I would double check what you have before spending money. If more support is needed due to the lighter rear springs on the truck after checking your EQ for sure, I would go for air without a doubt.

Andy,

Your welcome! I still have a lot to learn myself, but have learned a lot this year since I had to refresh my memory on setting up a wd hitch. I have read a ton over on rv.net which I saw your post btw!

Ya.I'm considering Ride Rite air bags as an option.Thanks,Andy.

I was going to suggest the Air Lift Air Bags since they have a great rebate currently available. Though it looks like Mike posted before I did! I haven't used air bags myself, but am considering them.

The one thing I think may be throwing you off some is according to your signature you have a leveling kit on your truck, correct???? If your truck is sagging 2" or less in the rear, then it is in "THEORY" level by all means since your front is about 2" higher than stock. The one thing I have never seen posted over on rv.net is a question concerning a leveling kit and setting up a wd hitch from a visual standpoint. I don't think it would be any different, but.....

Have you looked to see how much payload you have per the door jamb sticker?

In a worst case scenerio, maybe pull the Leer cap off during the camping season to gain about 200lbs for the tw????? Just a crazy thought! Lol

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
What are your settings on the Equal-i-zer? When you say it is set up properly, do you have not only the lifts adjusted properly, but the correct number of washers in? Is your shank the correct length/drop?

I tow almost 8k with about 1100 tongue weight first thing in the mornings, then down to about 700. Granted I have a 3/4 ton with stiffer springs, but with that weight being well within the limits of your truck, you should be able to use the EQ to adjust things so that you are level.

Mine when it is totally empty, is about an 1 1/2" up on the nose of the trailer, slightly raising the rear of the truck. However I only have it empty for maybe 10 miles out of 100-125 per day. I do it that way so that everything is level for stability and sway control for 98% of the day, as well as better tire wear on the trailer. Air bags/springs would certainly do the trick without a doubt, however I would double check what you have before spending money. If more support is needed due to the lighter rear springs on the truck after checking your EQ for sure, I would go for air without a doubt.

I would agree with this and suggest checking for proper set up on that Equal-I-Zer. Even at 1,000# on the hitch, with proper set up you should be able to get most of the pre-hitch front axle weight back and as a result see something less than 1-1/2" drop on the rear. Will it come back up to level? Probably not, but that sag seems a bit much even for a 1/2 ton. Bags will certainly get rid of the sag, but they won't increase your GVWR, or get weight back onto the front axle.

You might want to do some reading over at RV.net. There's a universe of towing information over there, including entire sticky threads devoted to proper hitch set up.

I put Timbrens on mine for a drop of 1/2 to 3/4 inch total. (when unloaded the robber stops are off the axle for a normal ride) With my Blue Rhino hitch I get a rake of + 1/2" max. the only problem with the Timbrens is quite the bouncy ride over the nasty roads like I75 Detroit or around the Buffalo area. On a smooth road its a good ride. BTW, I tow 8000lbs with a 850 tongue.

Archived