Tune Or Not To Tune?

dataspng

Ok... Can't handle it anymore... the delayed throttle response, the silly 8/4 cyl mode (which BTW GM it is not seamless when you slop coffee on your shirt during switches) and the fact Traction control is never really turned off (aka if I want to spin some rubber let me!). It is making the truck... well very irritating to drive not to mention boring!

I know a custom tune will fix this and put some fun back in the truck, but I don't want to toast 4 years and 73K left of warranty. I'm really just looking to "fix" the stuff GM should but wont, not go drag racing or tow 20Klbs with a half ton.

So what will the custom tune due to my warranty and has it been a problem for the folks that have a tune now.

Thanks

- On the Fence Tune -

No question in my mind, I got one :dunno:

You only read about the trucks with problems,.... not so much the ones without. I've been very luck with no issues in all the trucks I've had tuned. And If I ever do, I'll take it to a dealership thats "mod" friendly.

Unless you have a dealer that doesn't care, it is my understanding if you tune you void the warranty. If it was me, I would get it tuned. It would be my choice and if I had to pay out of pocket expenses then so be it. A tune makes a huge difference, at least it did on my 02. Well worth it.

What rear gears do you have that you "feel" AFM? I can't feel it on mine, but the 4-spd/3.73 combo runs higher hwy rpms than the 6-spd (more torque in 4-mode). As for tuning... the Autocal sounds like what you're after.

What rear gears do you have that you "feel" AFM? I can't feel it on mine, but the 4-spd/3.73 combo runs higher hwy rpms than the 6-spd (more torque in 4-mode). As for tuning... the Autocal sounds like what you're after.

Its a 5.3L 6Spd with the 3.42's, factor 17" rims... the AFM at highway speed you hardly feel, its the slow in town you can really feel it combined with the delayed throttle drives me nuts! Examples: Rolling up to red light, no brakes applied (timing the lights) and it changes green, press the gas.. nothing then it switches to 8, jerks, clunk and go.. impressive, reminds me of teaching my teenagers how to drive a stick shift :dunno: My current work around is put in in manual mode 4 or 3 in town. GM says it normal and TBO the 09 - 2500HD (work truck) does the same thing.

Its a 5.3L 6Spd with the 3.42's, factor 17" rims... the AFM at highway speed you hardly feel, its the slow in town you can really feel it combined with the delayed throttle drives me nuts! Examples: Rolling up to red light, no brakes applied (timing the lights) and it changes green, press the gas.. nothing then it switches to 8, jerks, clunk and go.. impressive, reminds me of teaching my teenagers how to drive a stick shift :dunno: My current work around is put in in manual mode 4 or 3 in town. GM says it normal and TBO the 09 - 2500HD (work truck) does the same thing.

I suspect they've changed the AFM parameters to squeeze more out of it. Mine cuts out of 4-mode when slowing down (below ~20/30 mph), and if I punch it before that, it goes. A tune would definitely help you out, I think, and the Autocal would allow you to put the factory parameters back before visiting (assuming you want a custom EFILive tune, e.g., Blackbear, etc.). I don't know about the '11 models, but the '08 did not record flash history that I'm aware of. I'm personally of the opinion that if I change the program and break something, that's my problem and I'll pay for it. I just wouldn't want GM blaming something that has nothing to do with a "tune" on it... thus the preference to return to stock prior to visits. Those few folks that want to hammer the snot out of one on a "hot tune", and then expect GM to fix it, are who make it hard on everyone else.

Tune it!!! I didn't even think about my warranty when I did it. I only had 600 miles on mine when I tuned it. I used Black Bear and EFI Live and the difference is night and day. The truck drives so much better. I never felt the transition from cylinder deactivation, so I can't comment on that. Everything else you mentioned is gone and my truck is so much fun to drive. I have the same gears and everything that you do. I've been beating on my truck having fun with the tune and I have had no problems and don't see it causing any problems. If you are concerned call your dealer or find a dealer that doesn't care.

TUNE IT!!! Its worth it and 95% percent of people that tune their trucks have no problems. If you want to feel safe, get new ecm to keep your original tune, even though they will probably end up like mine (covered in dust in the bottom shelf). The TCM on the 6 speeds are internal so you will be SOL on that. I have had mind tuned for 45000 miles and had no problem. :dunno:

I have an 2011 Tahoe LTZ with the 3.42 gears that I recently got a Black Bear Tune with the AutoCal. I don't drive my truck hard (old fart) but hated the way it drove and shifted especially under light acceleration and in traffic. It shifts too soon and then just hesitates and bogs. I posted about it last fall soon after I got it.

I too was concerned about the warranty. I even bought the extended warranty. I did many months of research on this and other forums of the ongoing debate with some saying GM can't tell if you return it to the stock tune and others swearing they still can tell.

Per a GM bulletin I've seen posted, GM requires their dealers to perform a CVN (Calibration Verification Number) check before doing any powertrain repairs under warranty. If the dealer doesn't do this including taking a picture of the scan tool screen with the CVN displayed the dealer may not get reimbursed for the repair. The CVN check is similiar to a check-sum process with computers. If the factory tune is installed the CVN will match what is supposed to be installed in the vehicle. Some still claim that there are flash counts, engine hours, mileage etc that doesn't match. This is only on Glabal A vehicles and I believe diesels. Also, why would a dealer do more then is required for them to do? Justin has also indicated that with GM's current method of tune identification that they can't tell (if returned to stock).

I concluded that the chance of GM finding out that I had a tune are slim to none. If they do, I'll just pay for the repair, sell the vehicle and never buy another GM vehicle. I really hated the way it drove that much. I don't drive it hard but for 50K+ plus I expect to get a smooth running and shifting vehicle. GM should be able to provide that and still protect their powertrain.

With the tune it drives so much better. Shift points are higher even under very light acceleration and it seems to be in or find the right gear for the load, speed and conditions. No more hesitation and bogging. I left the AFM turned on. I can sometimes feel it change mode but it is not harsh and doesn't bother me. It also seems to stay in V4 mode more with the tune and will even maintain speed on slight inclines at times without changing to V8. Gas mileage seems to be better per the DIC average economy but I haven't checked it yet.

Get the tune.

Wow, great info folks...

The tune is sounding better and I'm talking myself into it... So a BB with theEFLive Autocal will let me put it back to factory if any dealer service is required?

Hoe-n-it: I seem to remember your posts about the delayed throttle. Ditto, not going to thrash the truck and I'm not trying to deceive GM in any way, but if something breaks that is no way related to a mild tune a hassle free warranty repairs would be nice. The 5.3L's that start burning oil comes to mind... :dunno: Just looking to fix the issues GM doesn't want to bother with.

Rfh1030: Just a little gun shy. Did the same thing on a 03 Ford – The dealer even installed it for me before delivery. A year or so later Ford started canceling warranties if they found them chipped. It was a bit of a nail biter when I had engine problems (bad design – stock engines had the same problem), which the dealer quietly removed it and did the repair, but could have put me in a $5000 spot if they followed the rules 100%. That dealer now takes a hard ball approach to chipped trucks.

Thanks Music and The_Chupacabra... more fuel for the fire totune it.

Yes with the AutoCal you can return the ECM and TCM back to stock in a matter of minutes. I carry the AutoCal in the vehicle with the stock tunes loaded on it.

I agree with you that we should pay for repairs if we caused the failure but GM automatically cancels the warranty and all future powertrain warranty if they discover a tune. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act places the burden of proof on GM to prove the aftermarket product caused the failure. How are they meeting their burden of proof if they have automatically cancelled the warranty and all FUTURE powertrain warranty repairs? They know due to the costs involved they are not likely to be sued.

Do I feel bad about hiding the fact that I had a tune to prevent GM from costing me money by breaking the law? NO.

Ill wait till 100k miles at 17k now lol I have full 100/100 warranty. I'm Not racing it what I got the Camaro for. It tows Just fine I love tow haul mode. I know 98% of these trucks have no problems till over 100k. One of my best friends is a GM tech. He gets a bonus if he finds tuned cars/trucks in for warranty work. He got a Silverado last week that tried to flash back to stock. He popped a vlave spring costing his motor. So I'm staying where I am till 100k not worth the chance.

He got a Silverado last week that tried to flash back to stock. He popped a vlave spring costing his motor. So I'm staying where I am till 100k not worth the chance.

More info? I'm still stock myself, but need to tune it for towing (not power, just the shift logic). The 6-spd would probably solve it for me, but a tune is much more reasonable. Plus, if I look at new trucks, I have to look at other brands again to compare. I have never heard of anyone that flashed back to stock on a non-"Global-A" gas motor having warranty issues. The Global-A platform *does* track flash histories, etc., and the tech can see it.

Archived