e-85 equivilent to 104 octane?

Has anyone tried e85 in there 6.2 and notice a difference in performance? I'm already using Sunoco Ultra94 but.....

I know you get less mileage but the performance is what i'm interested in.

I read this somewhere on the net in a very lenghty report but didn't book mark it.

Has anyone tried e85 in there 6.2 and notice a difference in performance? I'm already using Sunoco Ultra94 but.....

I know you get less mileage but the performance is what i'm interested in.

I read this somewhere on the net in a very lenghty report but didn't book mark it.

Don't think that higher octane = more power. It doesn't.

Octane rating is merely a rating of how a fuel performs in reducing engine pinging. It has nothing to do with the amount of energy that a fuel produces.

Ethanol is a perfect example of that. Ethanol produces apprx 25% less energy than gasoline but it has a higher octane rating because it reduces pre-ignition pinging.

So why does GM rate the 6.2 at 403hp on e 85.

e85 burns cooler which allows higher ignition timing less chance of knocking.

So I would think that would mean more power.

If you run 87 octane in a 6.2 and 94 octane in another 6.2 and run both of them at the track the one running 94 octane will blow the doors off the 87 octane truck.

Higher octane allows more timing advance without engine knock which = more power for an engine that can benefit from more advance in timing.

Thats what I've always heard but I don't even have an e85 station close to try it :dunno:

I have run E85 about 95% of the time since I got my truck 2 yrs ago. The local stations have a sticker posted that says it is 103 octane. They also list it as 70% minimum ethanol. I feel that the truck running on E85 is more responsive over premium (93).

I run E85 about 95% of the time too, and I agree with Ryanbab the E85 is more responsive than the S95 that we have here, but it seem to me that it give less torque at the same rpm and need to go high rpm with a trailer.

Great now I just need to find a station near by that sells the stuff.

Can't wait to try it, sounds promising in the performance end of it.

So far the only station that has it that I've been told is 2hrs away, by the time I make it home i'll need to fill up again.

• 3 weeks later...

I flew out on a business trip Monday from Boston and got back tonight. The gas station near the airport is one of like 3 or 4 in all of New England. Being right near the airport the price was a ripoff (a couple cents more than regular is around me here in NH) but the truck does feel more responsive. And the Corsa exhaust sounds insane in the tunnels headed out of the city. :D

Archived