BakFlip F1 Installed!

So i was out searching for a bed cover a couple weeks ago. i looked at hard covers, soft covers, folding covers, and roll up covers. a couple of things i was looking for were:

• easy installation
  • easy access to the bed
  • low profile
  • Made in the USA

i searched high and low. i immediately through out the soft covers because, i had one on my previous truck and the vinyl stretched and became loose over time. i also through out the hard covers because you can't really haul much in the bed with one open. so now i had to find either a rolling or folding cover. after looking at several rolling covers, i came to realize the American made ones were out of my price range.

this is when i found the BakFlip hard folding tonneau cover. it met all my priorites, with its no drill installation, 100% access to the bed when folded up, low profile when closed, and most importantly Made in the USA!

i was originally going to buy their Bakflip HD model, but after christmas an online dealer was selling them for 15% off and free shipping, so i was able to get their top of the line F1 model for the same price as their standard G2 model.

The BakFlip F1 is the benchmark when it comes to tonneau covers. There is no make, style, brand or design of tonneau cover that meets the level of brilliance that the mighty BakFlip F1 exudes. Beginning with the unique full-access design that only the BakFlip tonneau cover can offer, we've implemented every refinement and upgrade imaginable to compliment this king of tonneau covers.

The bakFlip F1 has an impact resistant top surface made from FRP (Fiberglass reinforced polymer). It can handle the most severe temperatures (both hot and cold) and will never fade, tarnish, crack or deteriorate over time. It will handle a hammer or hail falling on it as if it were rain drops. Speaking of which, the newly designed flush hinge system is state of the art and built to withstand over a million folds without compromise. The hinges will never leak or corrode either, with a built in double insurance rain gutter both under the hinges as well as along the side rails of the BakFlip F1.

The BakFlip F1 sports an aluminum sub structure for added rigidity, yet remains lighter and stronger than it's sisters, the BakFlip G1 and HD which are all aluminum tonneau covers. The latch mechanisms under the BakFlip F1 panels automatically engage the side rails as the panels are closed and are operable from both driver and passenger side of the truck. The release mechanisms are encased in ergonomically friendly injection molded cable housings and a glow in the dark emergency release handle finsihes off the underside of this amazing tonneau cover, rendering it a full fledged OEM accessory.

The BakFlip F1 stays cooler to the touch than an aluminum tonneau cover and will not scratch or scuff easily either. It is UV protected and backed by the best warranty in the business.

when it arrived on Friday, i immediately opened the box. WOW! this thing is to bed covers as luxury is to Cadillac's! the installation went smoothly. once i was done with that i gave it an Adam's Waterless Wash wipedown, followed by a coat of their new Quick Sealant on the panels and SVRT on the rubber seals and EPDM hinges.

enough chit chat, onto the results!

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

after i took these photos i got my wife's hair dryer out to straighten out the wrinkles and creases in the rubber seals along the edge from packaging.

i'm not much of a bed cover fan - but that looks nice! and folds out of the way!

does it lock?

the cover itself doesn't have a lock, but you can only open it from the inside. so if you have a lock on your tailgate, the bed is essentially "secure" with the cover closed.

once its all folded up can you remove the panels easily so you could see out the back window if you put a load in the bed?

yep! there is a hand knob on each side that bolts the panels to the rails, they advise to only keep them "snug" and not extremely tight. the cover weighs about 60 lbs so it would be best to have 2 pairs of hands to lift it off if your not comfortable lifting that much.

if you leave it folded up, you can see it comes with support braces to keep it from falling backwards, but what you can't see is there is 3 strips of thick rubber to protect the paint and glass where its leaned up against.

it rained all day yesterday, pretty hard. the cover kept the bed bone dry! the only water that krept in was around the sides of the tailgate. if i really wanted to get anal, i could place a seal around those edges.

If you like the Bakflip, take a look at the brand new Undercover Flex. It's like the BF except you can easily remove the panels from the truck. Oh yea, it's made in USA also!

that literally looks almost identical to the BakFlip. the panels, seals, hinges, locking mechanisms all look identical. the only thing i see different is it's 3 panels instead of 4, there's a tie strap, and where the support brace locks into place on the last panel is different.

the hand knobs that bolt the panels to the rails look identical, so the BakFlip is just as easy to remove.

If you like the Bakflip, take a look at the brand new Undercover Flex. It's like the BF except you can easily remove the panels from the truck. Oh yea, it's made in USA also!

the hand knobs that bolt the panels to the rails look identical, so the BakFlip is just as easy to remove.

Well, not really. The BF panels are not made to be removed once you install the cover. On the Flex, you can fold and then remove the panels.

There's another new folding cover called the Extang Encore. Unlike the BF or Flex, you can open just the cab panel. The cab panel is wide enough so that you can still use a chest type toolbox. The panels on the Encore are also easily removeable, watch the vid on their website.

• 1 year later...

Archived