Which Tool Box to go with?

Hey Guys,

I'm loong to get rid of my tonneau cover and just go with a deep crossover tool box. I'm in Canada so I don't have many choices that are affordable. So far I've been looking at the Delta brand, Kobalt from Lowes, Deezee and Craftsman. I can get the Delta, Deezee or Kobalt anyday, but the Craftsman I would have to drive to Massena, NY. to pick it up at Sears. I've read great things about the Craftsman and ok things about the rest. Could anyone give me an idea to which direction I should be going?

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can get one, I prefer UWS (United Wedling Services). They are much better quality than Kobalt from Lowes, or other department hardware store brands.

I have a Weatherguard in my shed that is the stoutest Ive ever seen, but it cost close to $750+ new (I got it on trade so I didnt pay that much). Its an awesome box if you are a contractor or something that can justify that cost.

I think it really boils down to how much you want to spend. I bought a Kobalt brand at Lowes a couple weeks ago for $198.00 and it does everything I need it to do. I have seen some built a little tougher, thicker and nicer latching systems but I didn't want to spend 400.00 on a box. I'm not a contractor just needed it for spare tools, ratchet straps, firts aid kit, etc. I went with the low profile model.

I bought my weather guard used for $125. By far the toughest. As for the delta boxes, I'd go with the " champion series" they seem to be made a little better than the base series. Dee zee makes a good box also, neighbor is and electrician and loves his.

The Kobalt Full Size Deep box I want is 450 here... The Delta's are around 300 for the cheap models and the Craftsman is 300 USD. In the end i think my cheapest root is to go for the craftsman. Deezee are a little more than I want to spend.

post-106900-0-95724800-1326776451_thumb.jpgThey are spendy but Pro Tech makes the best tool box. I have had mine for 8 years in my Ram, then it transfered right into my Z71 CC after a quick polish, looks as good as new.

post-106900-0-95724800-1326776451_thumb.jpg

Totally forgot about that store. haha yeah we got 2 TSC's near me. They got the delta box on their site for 369, deep box. Its the plain jane model but it might do. I think I'll give those guys a call in the morning to see if they got them in stock..

Wouldn't you know it, part number for TSC Full Size Box - DZ 5170DTSC (Same part number for the Deezee Red Lable series listed at $566 on their website... haha. gotta love 'rebadging' products.

I know im about to piss some guys off but I've been doing my own research and I bought a Tractor Supply box last week on Thursday night .. well Friday morning I took it back, it was so flimsey that when you tried to close it from the side it wouldn't latch the other side. Now I do know if you step up to the better boxes you get the reinforced lid so maybe that would make the difference but they just made me mad with the customer service so I didn't bother to look at any others. By the way they are all made by DeeZee. Now what I have found is that Kobalt is made by better built. Better built has three lines of boxes the crown, the SEC (special edition crown) and the HD. Also if you buy one with the Kobalt logo on the front of it its waranted for life because its a kobalt with there no questions asked replacement policy. Now the SEC version has better handles (you can tell if they are sideways, open like a car door) and they have a reinforced lid that is foam injected .. really tough!! So at lowes they have the Kobalt(Better Built) Box thats deep in the SEC model for 288.00 which if you were to buy that with the Better Built logo it would be 400.00. SO thats my input, do with it what you want but I know what im going to do.

Archived