Oil Filter Question

What brand do you guys recemend getting? I've heard that Fram = CRAP so I did a google search and holy crap there are a lot of differenet brands.

And what brand Synthetic oil do you recemend?

Also I live in Florida and I was wondering does it matter if I run 5w-30 or 10w-30?

Also I've done everyting from replaceing brakes to replaceing shocks but I have never done an oli change. Is there anything that needs to be done to the filter before installing the new one?

Thanks,

Jason

Wix Gold series(NAPA Gold brand), Purlator, K&N, and Mobil 1, are all good filters. As for oils, I have used, Castrol, Mobil, any of the big brand names..etc that are full synthetic (basically whatever is on sale) and they have worked great for me. I did the same thing on my superchaged Camaro for 114,000 miles and when I tore the engine apart it was clean. the Machine shop did not believe that it had over 100k on the motor. All the bores were within factory new specs, even the #1 bores which I had cracked the ringlands on(due to the FMU going bad and my motor leaning out and detonating a little:)). So I did not have to go .20or .30 over, we just got some new forged pistions at factory specs and rebuilt and it was all good to go. Just my two cents! Good Luck

I run the Purolator PureOne oil filter. I'm using Pennzoil Platinum. Living in Arizona, where it's hot, and never really gets to freezing, I use 10W/30. A lot of people will say I'm nuts, but the 10W is really only important at startup, and when it gets to over a 110F here, I want a 10W oil in there. Oh, for my next oil change I will be switching my oil filter to the long one (Delco PF63 equivalent) a Purolator PL22500.

Lou

Actually Fram's gold XtendedGuard filters are pretty good, but yes, the rest are crap.

Check out www.gmtruckcentral.com, they have a very recent oil filter study under articles.

Posted using Tapatalk

I'm lookin at www.gmtruckcentral.com study and I see all of the differnet filters and when I click on the link to one of the filters I shows me all of the numbers on everything but I have no idea what i'm looking at. I wish they did a 1 out of 10 or some sort of rating like that so you know which ones are good and which ones are crap.

If your vehicle is still under the 5 yr. 100K warrenty you MAY have to use the Dexos1 approved oils, and the appropriate ac delco oil filter in order not to void the warrenty.

Use oil that has the dexos 1 and the manual says a 5w30 so thats what i'm running. There is a list some where floating around can't locate it right now that has all the approved oils by gm. After 3500 miles I drained the factory and put in Mobil 1 full synthetic with a mobil 1 filter. I've done 2 oil changes now and go off the d.i.c. which usually puts it about every 7500 miles which is about appropriate for me at least. If you do it yourself just make sure to keep a log and reciepts in case warranty comes into issue.

I run the Purolator PureOne oil filter. I'm using Pennzoil Platinum. Living in Arizona, where it's hot, and never really gets to freezing, I use 10W/30. A lot of people will say I'm nuts, but the 10W is really only important at startup, and when it gets to over a 110F here, I want a 10W oil in there. Oh, for my next oil change I will be switching my oil filter to the long one (Delco PF63 equivalent) a Purolator PL22500.

Lou

Yup... I second Pennzoil Platinum and Purolator Pure One oil filter.

As long as the AC PF48 doesn't go to the ecore style I'm fine with using it. I also run Purolator PureOne filters.

The current truck has seen 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability as I want to honor the dexos requirement, and both of these along with Mobil1 are the easiest synthetics to find that meet the spec. I included a link below where Shell is showing on their technical data sheet for Pennzoil Ultra that it now is dexos certified, but this isn't on the dexos list published by GM. If Ultra is in fact dexos certified it will be my oil .as its volatility numbers are much better than the others I mentioned (less chance for oil use) plus it, according to the marketing anyway, should keep things cleaner. Also both Quaker State and Pennzoil are offering $20-25 rebates on five quarts when you sign up (free) for their warranty program, so the bargain hunters should be attracted too. Good luck with your decision.

Pennzoil Ultra TDS http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140006587313_201112051449.pdf

Quaker State Warranty Signup

http://quakerstatewarranty.com/signup/

Pennzoil Warranty Signup

http://www.pennzoilwarranty.com/signup/

All oil filter have a % rating on them make sure the filter you are using has a 99% efficient rating,anything less is an inferior filter in my book.I use purolator one filters,and as for oil, the only dexos approved oil in my area is mobil one full synthetic so that is what I use.

Drain your oil to the point that it is dripping slowly. If you have the time, let it go until it stops dripping. After removing the old filter, make sure the gasket came off with it. If not, pull the old one off the block and clean the surface. On the new filter, put some oil on the gasket and on the threads. This will help you get it off next time. Don't tighten it more than necessary - usually 3/4 of a turn after it makes contact is enough.

Archived