Knocking In Engine

Hey all, Kinda new here and have an issue with my pickup. Recently noticed that I have a knocking sound ( sounds like lifters ) on the left side of the engine ( if you have the hood open and faceing the truck ) or right hand side if you sitting inside the truck. What can I do to fix this, if anything? Is it time for a new truck? I first noticed this about 1 month ago. Truck has 63K on it and never been beaten or worked hard. The hardest it's run was bringing my ATV to maine and back.

Descripton: 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3 Vortec (not flex fuel )

Any suggestions will help.

Thanks

Steve

When you say "Normal LS Noise" do you mean LS as in Trim line? It doesn't seem to do it all the time. The other day I was waiting for someone with my truck running and the noise would come & go. Sounded like a small hammer hitting the aluminum block of the engine.

Thanks again for your response. Just want to make sure im not looking at an engine overhaul in the next few months.

thanks again

Hey all, Kinda new here and have an issue with my pickup. Recently noticed that I have a knocking sound ( sounds like lifters ) on the left side of the engine ( if you have the hood open and faceing the truck ) or right hand side if you sitting inside the truck. What can I do to fix this, if anything? Is it time for a new truck? I first noticed this about 1 month ago. Truck has 63K on it and never been beaten or worked hard. The hardest it's run was bringing my ATV to maine and back.

Descripton: 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3 Vortec (not flex fuel )

Any suggestions will help.

Thanks

Steve

Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Those engines are known to tick. My 2001 Silverado did it from they day I drove it off the dealer lot until I sold it without any issues. Those "LS" Engines are known to be a little loud and have that lifter tick that you are describing.

The noise should go away after about 30 seconds when it starts to warm up. As long as the tick does not stay or progress as you accelerate after the engine temperature is up you don't have an issue.

EDIT : The "LS" engine has nothing to do with the trim level of the truck, it's the model of the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar sounding lifter noise from my 06 avalanche. At first it was just when I really got on the gas, a month or so later I would here it everytime I accelerated. Luckily I still had a few months left on my powertrain warranty. Took it to the dealer and they first said stuck lifter. When they broke it down cam was shot, multiple lobes were chipped and not hitting lifters smoothly creating the noise. They replaced the cam and all lifters. According to the dealer it was bad metal in the cam which caused the failure and they had seen it a couple of other times. Forgot to mention mine had around 80000 miles. Hope it is not your situation, just wanted to give you a heads up! I think the service ticket was around $1600 (can't remember for sure, covered by powertrain warranty). Good luck with yours.

Archived