Need just a simple answer lol

jro909

Question

does useing the a/c have an relation to the waterpump? as in does running the a/c put greater strain on the water pump because the clutch fan is engaged?

i know random question, thanks in advance lol

8 answers to this question

Generally these types of questions come up when two people are trying to figure something out, and neither person has enough knowledge to figure it out. Sort of like knowing just enough to get yourself in trouble. What is the story behind the question?

There is a relationship between a/c and the overall cooling system. With the a/c running, the condensor will put an extra load on the radiator due to the increased air temp hitting the rad.

the water pump is not stressed because of extra heat going thru the rad fins imo

Never said it did. I was just saying that the cooling system is stressed by the usage of a/c due to the addition of heat given off by the condensor as it converts hot gas to hot liquid refrigerant.

I don't think it puts one bit of strain on the pump itself .......... maybe the pulley, but not the pump. That said, if you had bad pump bearings I'm sure the extra load of the fan wouldn't help the situation.

But then again, just the belt tension alone would aggravate that ...

On your '04, AC has a separate belt that is driven by the crank pulley

Edit:

I mis-read your question originally. The additional heat load from the condenser would cause the fan to probably be engaged a bit more. Would the additional use of the fan cause more wear on the pump? A negligible amount maybe. The pump was designed taking these kinds of things into consideration

we can agree to disagree,cuz ,it doesnt stress nothing doug ,temps may increase slightly,if the air temp thru the rad gets hot enough the electric fans come on or the fan clutch locks the fan and pulls more air thu,thats it,,,

the pump just keeps on pumping

jro is just paranoid ........lol,,j/k bud,

does useing the a/c have an relation to the waterpump? as in does running the a/c put greater strain on the water pump because the clutch fan is engaged?

i know random question, thanks in advance lol

There is no direct relation from AC to water pump. As txab said, two seperate belts.

Archived