Truck needs brakes, I need help

I knew I was getting close to needing brakes, but I realized yesterday just how badly. Now the truck is parked until after payday when I can get some new ones.

I normally use Wagner pads on my stuff, but I want to possibly upgrade the pads with something that will help counteract the increased rolling mass of the 35s I just put on. What would you guys recomend?

Also, would you guys worry about the rear drums with 103K on the clock? Ive heard you can run drums forever with little issue.

When posting answers, remember, Im on a tight budget.

Unfortunately "upgrades" and "tight budget" may not leave many options. Not trying to be mean just fore warning. I've stayed with the premium store brands for my truck but if your looking to go better than I'd say check out the EBC brakes. They have a few variants dependent on what you are looking for. Plus I think they're having a sale right now.

Yeah, I was just looking at EBC. I did notice that you can use their pads on factory rotors, so I may go that route. Dont the EBC pads break-in coating also resurface the rotors somewhat?

When I said I was on a budget, I just meant that I didnt want to drop several hudred dollars. I saw some setups for over $2K. Definately not within my budget. My regular Wagners usually cost around $50 but I can afford a little more than that.

I just dont know what to look for really.

Oh, cool. I have seen those SSBC and a few others on some other places. I just dont know which ones are good brands to look for.

Anyone know anything about the drums? I dont know much more about brakes than how to put fluid in and how to replace disc brake components. But, what I know about disc brakes, I know even less about drums. Should I worry about them or will they be fine i they arent giving me any problems? If they do require attention, what could they need done?

Oh, cool. I have seen those SSBC and a few others on some other places. I just dont know which ones are good brands to look for.

Anyone know anything about the drums? I dont know much more about brakes than how to put fluid in and how to replace disc brake components. But, what I know about disc brakes, I know even less about drums. Should I worry about them or will they be fine i they arent giving me any problems? If they do require attention, what could they need done?

As far as the drums go. Go ahead and take off your rear wheels and rotors and that will expose your brake shoes (aka drum brake pads) and the assembly. You will be able to tell from there if you need new shoes just by looking at it. Also the drum assembly is pretty straight forward once you look at it. If you go ahead and replace them, be sure to put the shoes in the correct place (each drum has 2 shoes), you shouldnt need any special tools but a brake tool helps for adjusting the shoes once you replace them. the only thing that should give you fits is the damn spring that holds the shoes up. Just youtube how to change drum brakes and that will help a bunch. Hope this was useful

Archived