How-To: Install GMT900 Footwell Lighting.

RyanbabZ71

How heat resistant are these? Might use a couple strips and make underhood lighting. I know I'm going to do the footwell and bed rail lighting with these. Underhood and in tool box sounds interesting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...
How would you suggest cutting into the factory wiring harness? Using a wire tap with quick disconnect or just cutting and slicing the normal way?

I just cut into the existing wiring. Either way will work

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

I got my LED's from ebay for $3.28 shipped from China. The seller was flyfitter2011. Can't believe I got these this cheap, one seller was wanting $75 for the same type led strips!

Here's a link to the auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-White-SMD-DC-12V-Car-15-30CM-LED-Strip-Light-IP65-Waterproof-Black-FPC-/170975102611?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cee90693

what did you stick the driver side LEDs to?

Sorry for the wait on the response. I zip tied mine underneath. They hold great. Hard to see in the pic

eze3evaj.jpg

Ryan

This past weekend I had footwell lighting (aqua blue) installed into my camaro at Camarofest by ACCLighting. Liked it so much the next day I purchased a white set for my truck.

Here is the brand I went with

http://www.automotiv...ngpair-1-1.aspx

gallery_56_2054_904134.jpg

I wired them so they come on with the dome lights, another option is to wire them with a switch but I like them to automatically come one.

TOOLS - Flashlight/Cap light, Trim remover tool, Knife (to strip wires), Zip Ties, Electrical Tape, Footwell Lights

TIME: 15-30 mins

DIFFICULTY - Easy

Step 1 - Remove black plastic cover. This is located on the drivers side to the very left under the dash. Unplug the harness as noted in the 3rd photo in the yellow box. This will make splicing easier

gallery_56_2054_152422.jpg

gallery_56_2054_2083656.jpg

gallery_56_2054_1068678.jpg

STEP 2 - Run Pass Side Foot Well lights through back of Center Console

I just shoved the light and wires and grabbed them on the other side. I then peeled the tape and stuck in a desired location under the footwells

gallery_56_2054_969796.jpg

STEP 3 - Wire in both sides

Connect the 2 red wires from the footwell lights and splice them into the gray wire from the wiring harness (shouldnt matter which gray wire you choose).

gallery_56_2054_946061.jpg

STEP 4 - Wire ground

I connected the ground to a bolt on the firewall.

gallery_56_2054_114505.jpg

STEP 5 - Attach drivers side footwell lights in desired location (I used zip ties to help secure)

STEP 6 - Connect wire harness and put black cover back on

STEP 7 - TEST and Enjoy the new lights

gallery_56_2054_1297670.jpg

That looks really nice! Do they stay on while driving or just when you open the doors?

I got my LED's from ebay for $3.28 shipped from China. The seller was flyfitter2011. Can't believe I got these this cheap, one seller was wanting $75 for the same type led strips!

Here's a link to the auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-White-SMD-DC-12V-Car-15-30CM-LED-Strip-Light-IP65-Waterproof-Black-FPC-/170975102611?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cee90693

Have you used these ebay/china lights before? seems pretty cheap to be a qaulity piece..

I have not. I was going to buy some from rideglow on ebay for 12, but by the time I wanted to purchase them they raised the price to 75.xx and made me mad. I figured for 3 dollars and change it couldn't hurt. If they go bad then I will purchase from another seller. I would say that all the led strips you see on ebay are made in China though, just maybe a different factory pumping them out.

I haven't received mine yet, when I do I will reply back to this thread and let everyone know of their quality.

On a side note, I purchased some CREE led backup lights from China and they work great! Just had to modify the plastic base of the bulb a little bit. I talked about that in another thread. I saved 40-ish dollars doing that. I wouldn't be surprised if these led strips are decent quality either.