How-To: Install GMT900 Footwell Lighting.

RyanbabZ71

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the inspiration! I just installed footwell LEDs in all four footwells that are on the entry lighting circuit in my 2014 crew cab. I didn't go with color LEDs for this, as it was for entrance. It was kind of a PITA, but the results are great.

It is worth noting that the yellow wire that is directly above the grey wire (for the entry lighting circuit) is part of the dash lighting circuit, and can be dimmed via the dash dimming controller. I tapped into that and have the circuit ready to go, should I decide to add more lights.

Scotchlok tap connectors are pretty much a must for this mod on the 2014+ trucks. Those wires are pretty taut.

• 1 month later...

6aa51f560d69b7b2ca9b6dd79dade7c7.jpg037c318d505dde02f1a90546c4583bb7.jpgb220291a31c37d4db1d087d7785d5e2d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Toddfather!!!!

Nahulu77,

Where did you run the wires for the rear seat lighting? You seem to be the only other guy without the center console who is doing this. I installed the front yesterday and it worked great!

Nahulu77,

Where did you run the wires for the rear seat lighting? You seem to be the only other guy without the center console who is doing this. I installed the front yesterday and it worked great!

I ran them along the top of the driver and passenger rug and then down under the plastic kick panels, under the rug and bring the wires out under the chair.

• 5 months later...

This past weekend I had footwell lighting (aqua blue) installed into my camaro at Camarofest by ACCLighting. Liked it so much the next day I purchased a white set for my truck.

Here is the brand I went with

http://www.automotiv...ngpair-1-1.aspx

gallery_56_2054_904134.jpg

I wired them so they come on with the dome lights, another option is to wire them with a switch but I like them to automatically come one.

TOOLS - Flashlight/Cap light, Trim remover tool, Knife (to strip wires), Zip Ties, Electrical Tape, Footwell Lights

TIME: 15-30 mins

DIFFICULTY - Easy

Step 1 - Remove black plastic cover. This is located on the drivers side to the very left under the dash. Unplug the harness as noted in the 3rd photo in the yellow box. This will make splicing easier

gallery_56_2054_152422.jpg

gallery_56_2054_2083656.jpg

gallery_56_2054_1068678.jpg

STEP 2 - Run Pass Side Foot Well lights through back of Center Console

I just shoved the light and wires and grabbed them on the other side. I then peeled the tape and stuck in a desired location under the footwells

gallery_56_2054_969796.jpg

STEP 3 - Wire in both sides

Connect the 2 red wires from the footwell lights and splice them into the gray wire from the wiring harness (shouldnt matter which gray wire you choose).

gallery_56_2054_946061.jpg

STEP 4 - Wire ground

I connected the ground to a bolt on the firewall.

gallery_56_2054_114505.jpg

STEP 5 - Attach drivers side footwell lights in desired location (I used zip ties to help secure)

STEP 6 - Connect wire harness and put black cover back on

STEP 7 - TEST and Enjoy the new lights

gallery_56_2054_1297670.jpg

Are the lights constantly on, or can you manage that feature? Also, how has driving around at night been? Have the brightness of the lights affected your night vision at all. Just a thought. Thanks, looks wicked.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the lights constantly on, or can you manage that feature? Also, how has driving around at night been? Have the brightness of the lights affected your night vision at all. Just a thought. Thanks, looks wicked.

You obviously didn't take the 3 seconds of time to read anything.......

Lights are wired to come on with the dome light, when you open the door, remove key from ignition, turn dome light on, and use the key fob unlocking the truck.

Therefore, night time driving is not affected, lights that are not turned on don't affect your "night vision". PLEASE take the time to read BEFORE posting, it's really not difficult.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How heat resistant are these? Might use a couple strips and make underhood lighting. I know I'm going to do the footwell and bed rail lighting with these. Underhood and in tool box sounds interesting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I used some similar product (a cheep 2 pack light strips from autozone) and wired them up for toolbox lights. I connected them to the under rail lights the new 14+ model years have. Now same switch that turns on the cargo lights turn on toolbox lights. Really simple setup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finally added this to my 2014. This certainly is a must! I'll never understand why GM stopped the factory installed footwell lighting or the engine bay lighting. 2 things that my old 2002 Yukon Denali that my 2014 didn't come with. Evolution isn't always progress I guess!

Drivers side footwell before

vasarehy.jpg

Here it is now!

vabuvyvy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use the brand from china like everyone else has been? Did you do 12" strips?

Thanks for the inspiration! I just installed footwell LEDs in all four footwells that are on the entry lighting circuit in my 2014 crew cab. I didn't go with color LEDs for this, as it was for entrance. It was kind of a PITA, but the results are great.

It is worth noting that the yellow wire that is directly above the grey wire (for the entry lighting circuit) is part of the dash lighting circuit, and can be dimmed via the dash dimming controller. I tapped into that and have the circuit ready to go, should I decide to add more lights.

Scotchlok tap connectors are pretty much a must for this mod on the 2014+ trucks. Those wires are pretty taut.

Would also be willing to see any pics of this if you have any. I'm about to do the mod to mine as well.

Would also be willing to see any pics of this if you have any. I'm about to do the mod to mine as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the wiring process. All I really remember about that part was that it was a pain. My neighbor's kids probably learned a few new words that day...

When I get a chance I will try to get some pics of the finished product posted. I am pretty busy with work right now, so it might be awhile.

After a year with the footwell lighting, I have to say that it still makes me smile every time I see it come on. It is worth your time to do this mod.

Did you use the brand from china like everyone else has been? Did you do 12" strips?

I did not. I used some white motorcycle underglow lights from XKGLOW. They are great and haven't had a single issue with any of the ones I used

Got the footwell and assist step lights done today wired to the solid grey wire. Kids got in the truck and didn't know they turned the LEFT turn signal on, and when I went to see the lights in the dark, with only the left turn signal on, they pulse. The normal dome lights don't pulse after the mod though and it's the same wire. Anyone else mistakingly find this out or could it be I did something wrong?

Instead of splicing into the wire, I just pushed my wire into the small space the original grey wire goes in to, kinda like how the fog on with brights are jumped just by pushing in the diode.post-142734-0-66458400-1459706258_thumb.jpg

post-142734-0-66458400-1459706258_thumb.jpg

Edited by adam.busch