Duramax VS 8.1L

The big block will tow as well as a D-Max. As for last longer, i would say that is a toss up. Back in the day maybe, but todays chevy gas motors will last a long long long time. I actually have not heard of a gasser motor wearing out. Hell on my 1995 Camaro Z28 that I put a supercharger on at about 20,000 miles was still within factory new specs at 114,000 miles when I was rebuilding the motor(the FMU went bad and caused a lean condition and cracked #1 ringlands). So when I rebuilt the motor all I had to do was hone the cylinder bores, and put the motor back together. So for both a DMax or Big block after a long time the other stuff will go bad at the same time,(water pump, alternator, etc...)

So long story short find the one you like the most, understand the good and bad of each, and enjoy. Good luck.

I love the Chevy BB and always will, but the Duramax will tow heavy loads better than the 8.1. It's got more TQ. I realize the LLY is down on power compared to the newer duramax's but it will still be a better puller. My father in law had two early 8.1's (01/03). His first duramax was an LLY (05). It was the worst duramax he owned, but power wise was ahead of the 8.1. He now has an new LML and there is no comparison. The way I would look at it I would only choose the 8.1 over the duramax for a few reasons. One would be if you could get a tremendous deal on the 8.1 or if you were comparing between a LB7 (2001-2004) duramax. The LB7's were known to have some injector issues, but as far as I'm aware GM decided to cover injector failures up to 200K. Fuel mileage on the BB is atrocious. It's 496 cu/in. You said you rarely tow and this is more of a running around pickup I would go with a 1500 gasser. But if you are dead set on an HD I'd go with the diesel. It will get at least 30% better mileage than the 8.1. Honestly you ought to look at a 2500HD with the 6.0L. They get a little better mileage than the 8.1 and they are very reliable engines that can pull a decent amount of weight if you need to tow. I used to pull huge loads with mine before my duramax. It struggled, but I could do it. The diesel does it with ease. I almost bought a 8.1 before I bought my LMM, but I am glad I went to diesel. But then again, the old BB is a classic and there are not too many left around in good shape with low miles. Good luck.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And last time I pulled my trailer and quads with my 1500 it just seemed under powered and I'm afraid I'm gonna wear it out. And nothing is more annoying then hard downshifts everytime a small grade comes. Why have to stress about that when I can just get a new truck to solve it.

Sent From Samsung Galaxy S3

You're not going to wear out you're 1500 pulling a utility trailer and quads. That is well within the tow limits of a 1/2 ton, unless you're pulling like 6-8 quads with a 24' trailer or something like that. Since you are looking at the 2005-2006 model range take a good look at the 1500HD. It's considered a heavy half ton (8600 GVW) and it not as stout as an 2500HD (9200 GWV) but has the 6.0L motor and will handle towing better than a regular 1500. There are still some nice ones out there with low miles. Sounds like reading more into you're situation this is really what you need to get. Everyone wants a diesel, but many don't need it. Of course if money is no option then get whatever you want, but for most of us it is

its all really personal preference, if your not towing anything heavy then the 8.1 and 6.6 are not really practical engines because on gets shitty MPG, one takes really expensive gas, the Dmax is expensive to maintain. nothing wrong with a 6.0 2500 either. if you feel like throwing money away on gas when you dont need to, then these trucks will be good for you.

anyway i would get the duramax over the 8.1. a lot of 8.1's have an oil consuption issue and they are gas hogs. and the duramax drives awesome too.

Can a guy want a bigger badder truck just to want it? I know it's not gonna be efficient or as comfortable and all that stuff. I own a very nice 1500 but I just want something different with all the capabilities that a 2500 has to offer just in case. Like I said I like to travel. I'm slowly working my way up. Eventually I'm gonna want a very large enclosed trailer or a toy hauler. Gas money for a daily driver isn't an issue with me because I work across the street from my house. I don't have to drive much on a regular basis. I want a truck that has more balls then my 5.3 and can handle whatever I throw at it. Also want a crew cab instead of my extended. That drives me nuts and eventually I'm sure the wife is gonna make me have kids Lol. Maybe I am just being stupid and want to swing a longer dick to show off cause my 1500 can handle What I do right now. But it's a want thing and gas isn't an issue when I don't drive much daily.

Hell ya, and if that is what you want then the dmax is the way to go IMO. The point of my first post was to simply give you food for thought, but if bigger is what you want go for it.

And last time I pulled my trailer and quads with my 1500 it just seemed under powered and I'm afraid I'm gonna wear it out. And nothing is more annoying then hard downshifts everytime a small grade comes. Why have to stress about that when I can just get a new truck to solve it.

You will never feel like it is underpowered with the diesel. I tow several boats, the largest is about 8k so still no where close to the max the truck will pull, but when towing it there is at least another 1k in the bed. I would say I do about 7000-8000 miles a year towing like this and thus the reason I bought a dmax. With 8k behind you it isn't a question of will it pull it, it is only a question of how fast do you want to go. You can romp on the throttle and pass at will and set the cruise at any speed you choose and it will hold 6th gear except for the steepest of hills. I used to do this with a Yukon and it was maxed out and frankly it was work towing. Now I can say you really forget the load is back there.

the guys that have negative. to say about the 8.1 have never owned one.. its one of the best motors gmt made. and like I said you don't buy an 8.1 or d max to go cruising or grocery. trips?.. its built to haul and tow, they call it the workhorse for a reason. mpg.s shouldn't even be an issue here. as far as the diesel goes there gas mileage. sucks also., the lb7 and lly I had never got better than. 12 mpg

my tuned 8.1 gets 9-11., making 400 HP!

the guys that have negative. to say about the 8.1 have never owned one.. its one of the best motors gmt made. and like I said you don't buy an 8.1 or d max to go cruising or grocery. trips?.. its built to haul and tow, they call it the workhorse for a reason. mpg.s shouldn't even be an issue here. as far as the diesel goes there gas mileage. sucks also., the lb7 and lly I had never got better than. 12 mpg

Yukon, I agree. A 2500 or 3500 is a tool and a big one at that. It isn't a grocery getter. I will say though, my '08 isn't to bad on fuel. I am getting about 14/15 in town and about 20 highway if I drive 70 or less. I can live with that given that a good half of its use is towing or hauling. But also I am 100% stock, seems that everybody looses big time in the MPGs when the go to larger tires and a lift. But since I bought the truck to tow, I have no interest in being anything but 100% stock, well the DPF might fall off at some point but not sure that is worth the expense either.

I'm not knocking the 8.1, I said it was one of my favorite engines GM ever made. It's just kind of a dinosaur now unfortunately. You're right, mileage isn't a big deal unless you're driving many miles a year. In general the newer duramaxs only get 13-15 mpg mixed. Older LB7's were better pre-emmisions. Thing about the big block is it got 10 highway and 10 mpg pulling 10,000 lbs. It was definately a workhorse. I wished they would have kept the 8.1 around and put an 8-speed auto in it to help with mileage. It's ultimate death was emmisions and the fact GM wanted to sell more duramaxs. There is a stark difference between the 6.0 vs 6.6. And a huge difference in price!

I have driven both the Dmax(pick up) and a Big block(Suburban) and will say both pull like crazy. As I stated before both are great rigs, I would say get the one you like more, because they both can pull most anything you put behind it. As others have stated I would also say getting a 3/4ton with the 6.0L gasser is not a bad option. That is the type I have and for my medium "heavy" loads it does a great job. good luck.

Im,just,afraid,if,he,settles,for,a,6.0,w/a,4l80e..he,ll,wish,he,got,the,big,block,and,allison.

but,if,your,not,haulin,that,heavy,that,often,,,On,the,other,hand..the,6.0,really,doesnt,get,that,much,better,mpg,s..

Im,just,afraid,if,he,settles,for,a,6.0,w/a,4l80e..he,ll,wish,he,got,the,big,block,and,allison.

but,if,your,not,haulin,that,heavy,that,often,,,On,the,other,hand..the,6.0,really,doesnt,get,that,much,better,mpg,s..

Ya I'm dead set on either an 8.1 or durty. Leaning toward the 8.1L

Don't even consider a 6.0 in a 2500 HD. Buddy has one and it a lazy dog compared to the 8.1. We get less then 1mpg difference. If ya wanna spend the money go for the diesel. If not the 8.1. Make sure you figure a BB tune in the budget! well worth it.

Good,luck!..You,will,love,it

Dont,forget,to,do,the,basics,

intake

exhaust

custom,tune

The one I've been looking at already has headers on it. Duals intake and tune are a must! Them will Probly be the first things I do.

Here is the 3 im looking at. Which looks like the best for my money?

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3205736083.html

http://www.nwmsrocks.com/trucks_for_sale/2004-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-LT-4x4-11969

http://www.nwmsrocks.com/trucks_for_sale/2006-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-LT-4x4-12224

I had been talking to the guy with the white truck (first link) for awhile. Seems very honest and truck is MINT looking. He sent me more pics. It does have some aftermarket on it though like someone used it to play a bit. He bought it that way. I was set on getting that one until i say the gray truck with only 36K miles on it! Now i dont know. I like the way the red one looks the best out of the 3. HELP ME CHOOSE lol! They are all about a 5-6 hour drive from me so i need to choose carefully so im not running all over hell.

Archived