Duramax VS 8.1L

I,agree,there..kmg...Anything,more,then,a,fender,bender,....things,never,seem,the,same..

But,i,guess,if,you,really,look,it,over,and,drrive,it...checck,fluids,etc....

wish,you,could,get,it,on,a,lift,and,really,see,underneath,of,it!..

Obviously,you,cant,have,a,frame,shop..check,it...

But,i,would,park,ot,on,a,very,level/flat,surface..And,take,some,measurments!

I hear that! That's my concern as Well. I got my buddy coming with me so we will both get under it, up in it, do whatever we got to do. Carfax said rear end collision with some front end damage but guaranteed it to be a clean title. Could have been a minor wreck who knows. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent From Samsung Galaxy S3

Again I would get the red one. I really like the looks of it. If you ever add a lift or larger tires the extra torque of the 8.1 will easily handle it plus it probably won't affect mileage all that greatly. The BB's tend to get the same mileage no matter highway or towing.

What the hell you been towing???? A 1500 lbs tent trailer?????? NOTHING gets the same mileage towing!!! Not even almighty 5.9 cummins, and they get the best mileage out of any engine in any 3/4 or 1 ton.

Nope, most all my gassers I've owned when towing light to moderate get about the same mileage as unloaded, just my experience. My old 6.0 got about 11-12 average and about 10-11 towing. When towing my empty 24' aluminum stock trailer it got the same mileage and it weighed 4500 lbs. Put a big load on their and it dropped pretty good though. Alot of it has to do with gearing. My 6.0 with 4.10 gears ran 2400 rpm in 4th gear @ 65 mph. Other than the drag from the trailer itself the engine wasn't working much harder because it was already turning a fair amount of rpms. Load it down heavy and start downshifting to 3rd and sometimes 2nd and the mileage started dropping pretty quick.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be an LLY tho as well. If its an 04.5 it's the LLY. A lot better engine, the best to look for in your price range would be an 06-07 classic. You get the same HP/tq as the newer LMM but no dpf, and you get the 6 speed.

No doubt that is the best combo for power and mileage, but much like the old Ford 7.3 they are tough to find with low mileage and command a premium over an LB7 or LLY. They are out there but with low mileage you're looking at 30K.

In,my,opinion,the,LBZ,06-07,was,the,best,duramax...but,im,not,sure,about,the,new..new,ones.

As,far,as,the,8.1,goes...with,just,the,cam,and,a,custom,tune..

.I,make,more,HP,and,about,the,same,ammount,of,TQ,of,the,01-03,lb7.and,the,04-05,lly

Doodle, I remember that article when I was researching. That was when I was dead set on getting the diesel. Everyone in the real world told me to look at the 6.0 and I wouldn't listen because the internet told me they were garbage. I agree with stlavsa, all the "biggest dick" wannabes are in the diesels and they seem to be the most vocal and trash talkers. I have driven many trucks for work gas and diesel so I understand their differences fully.I just wanted the " latest and greatest" my friends probably thought I was a dick , too. What changed my mind was actually driving a new one. It's just my opinion but I just think the gas makes a much nicer personal truck, but I don't use my truck like you do. I know I shouldn't be racing around in a HD anyway, but it just reminds me of a '90's camero but doesn't handle as good! Again to the OP sorry this is the last time I ruin your thread!

Doodle, I remember that article when I was researching. That was when I was dead set on getting the diesel. Everyone in the real world told me to look at the 6.0 and I wouldn't listen because the internet told me they were garbage. I agree with stlavsa, all the "biggest dick" wannabes are in the diesels and they seem to be the most vocal and trash talkers. I have driven many trucks for work gas and diesel so I understand their differences fully.I just wanted the " latest and greatest" my friends probably thought I was a dick , too. What changed my mind was actually driving a new one. It's just my opinion but I just think the gas makes a much nicer personal truck, but I don't use my truck like you do. I know I shouldn't be racing around in a HD anyway, but it just reminds me of a '90's camero but doesn't handle as good! Again to the OP sorry this is the last time I ruin your thread!

Didn't ruin my thread. You are absolutely correct about the gas making a much nicer personal truck. The diesel is not for driving around in the city. I hate it. My gasser was much more enjoyable to ride in town and at the farm messing around than the diesel. The Allison can take a little getting used to in city driving. The 6.0 is not garbage. It is a very good engine with good capibilities.

Lots of a$$holes and opinions here.... LOL. This is getting interesting. :lurk:

I'm not an ahole, just calling it like I see it. It's a forum so that's what you get, opinions. This thread is way off topic anyway and I've said way too much anyway. I just get amused by people proclaiming the diesel and the gassers are close to on par. It's not close. The gas engine has it's advantages the diesel has it's advantages. But head to head in performance and towing it is not even close.

I'm not an ahole, just calling it like I see it. It's a forum so that's what you get, opinions. This thread is way off topic anyway and I've said way too much anyway. I just get amused by people proclaiming the diesel and the gassers are close to on par. It's not close. The gas engine has it's advantages the diesel has it's advantages. But head to head in performance and towing it is not even close.

I'm not calling anyone aholes... Just refering to the ol' saying" everyone has an ahole and an opinion.. and they both stink" lol I would have to fully agree with you. Each has it advantages. Just depends what the op plans to do with the truck. If everyones idea of the perfect truck was the same they would only make 1 option.

In,my,opinion,the,LBZ,06-07,was,the,best,duramax...but,im,not,sure,about,the,new..new,ones.

As,far,as,the,8.1,goes...with,just,the,cam,and,a,custom,tune..

.I,make,more,HP,and,about,the,same,ammount,of,TQ,of,the,01-03,lb7.and,the,04-05,lly

Your right ya it was a better one. How much does all that cost to get the same numbers as a diesel??? Cost an arm and a leg, plus you will burn a shit ton of fuel. Put just a tune in a dmax and you have a pullin machine/muscle car eater. If you buy a truck for towing, NOTHING will beat a diesel. Never.

Your sir are %100 correct, I own a 6 litre too. I've never seen over 11 mpg towing anything, I towed a 8000lbs trailer once. I got 7-8 mpg and it was gutless pig. The 8.1 I drove burnt oil right from

New, had a service body on it. It was a gutless pig as well. Nothing beats a diesel for towing.

Your sir are %100 correct, I own a 6 litre too. I've never seen over 11 mpg towing anything, I towed a 8000lbs trailer once. I got 7-8 mpg and it was gutless pig. The 8.1 I drove burnt oil right from

New, had a service body on it. It was a gutless pig as well. Nothing beats a diesel for towing.

I'm not disagreeing on diesels being better for towing. Can't say I've ever heard the 8.1 called a gutless pig either lol. There definately is a difference from stock to tuned 8.1 though. I did kinda have the same feeling after I had mine tuned for a while and then drove a stock one. I figure a lil oil usage is to be expected with pistons that big. I use maybe a quart at most in 5000 miles.

I'm not disagreeing on diesels being better for towing. Can't say I've ever heard the 8.1 called a gutless pig either lol. There definately is a difference from stock to tuned 8.1 though. I did kinda have the same feeling after I had mine tuned for a while and then drove a stock one. I figure a lil oil usage is to be expected with pistons that big. I use maybe a quart at most in 5000 miles.

Well, the one I drove did. In comparison to other diesel trucks I've drove with service bodies on them it felt pretty weak. And it burned a shitload of fuel lol...to me the 8.1 and the 6 litre don't feel very different...maybe it's just me

Well I got the red truck! Got some money off the top for some imperfections that piss me off but overall its a good looking and driving truck! We did an thorough look over on it and you cant even tell its been wrecked. Frame looks perfect. Still has original headlights and grill. New bumper cover is all. Must have been a tiny ass car it hit. Airbags acted like a normal car should.

The only thing i found weird was when i was driving it 6 hours home, The cruise control turned off a few times when i hit bumps on the freeway going 75 mph and the abs light popped on. Only when i hit bumps and only a few times. Other then that she was solid! Any idea what could be causing that to happen? It does have a trailer braking controller in it. Thinking loose wireing somewhere maybe?

Driving a lifted truck is 100% new to me as well. When i hit large dips in the freeway it felt like a boat kinda. Im sure thats due to the lift?

Overall im excited to get this thing how i want it. First mod is gonna be an exhaust! After i figure out how to fix the cc and abs problem :( Any help would be appreciated on that!

Congrats, that's a sweet truck. Hope you enjoy it and don't take people's comments to heart. Vehicles feel different in certain situations and relative to mood, plus everyone thinks theirs is the best anyway. I know I would be excited about buying that truck!

Congrats, that's a sweet truck. Hope you enjoy it and don't take people's comments to heart. Vehicles feel different in certain situations and relative to mood, plus everyone thinks theirs is the best anyway. I know I would be excited about buying that truck!

Thanks man! I appreciate that!

Sent From Samsung Galaxy S3

Archived