First oil change

I stopped at a Jiffy Lube to get my first oil change in my 2012 6.2L. The clerk called me to the bay to tell me the oil requires dexox spec oil and they did not have it but the syntheic they had would cost $75 so I did not do it. I read the owners manual about this oil for the first time. Is this the standard price for an oil change with oil meeting these specs?

I would never take a new vehicle to jiffy lube. Pay the $30 and go to the dealer.

+1 on that, these types of places work on "volume", so you wind up having a high ratio of stripped oil pan threads, or cross threaded bolts into the pans. How do they fix that? why just run a bead of silicone sealer around the bolt.

I purchase my own oil (Mobil 1 extended performance 5W-30), and take the vehicle to a local trusted shop, they charge me $8.50 rack charge and change the oil and filter, plus inspect the bottom of the vehicle, and lube as necessary.

it worked out. Took it to a another place for $30 and included a tire rotation. The problem was Jiffy did not have dexos spec oil and wanted to sell me their shell synthic blend for $75. I said no way and what gets me is another guy with an older chevy sells he pays $75 everytime. Wow!

I just do my own oil changes and save the money. I'm pretty confident that I also do all the same checks the dealers/shops look at for the most part.

I'm with you on that one! I use Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, wix oil filter, grease both zerks, check for leaks and all is good. Plus, I love working on my truck! The stealer charges $65 for mobil one.

Archived