How many miles first oil change?

I just did an oil and filter change at 400 miles. I was glad I did, the oil looked like a dark brown metallic, lots of very fine glittery stuff. Being a 2012, I suspect it also sat on the lot for an unknown length of time. I will probably do it again at 1K before starting a routine schedule. AC Delco filter and name brand dino.

You?

3000 miles. These engines are built to a lot closer tolerances than in the days of old. I change my own oil and haven't found any metal in oil since the pre vortec days. I do trade every 2 or 3 years though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you have lots of glittery stuff in your oil you should be concerned. While it is perfectly normal for oil to get dark, turning to a nice metalic brown is not normal. Have to wonder what the oil filter caught if the oil is loaded with metalflake.

You can tell how long the oil has been in your truck if you bought it new from the dealer. Look at the door sticker for the build date of your truck. That is when the oil was put into the engine. If it says 10/2011 on your newly purchased 2012 Sierra, the oil has been sitting in the engine since October of last year. Length of time sitting in a dormant engine is not something you need to be concerned about usually. It is all the startups to move the truck around the lot that will do the damage to the oil. Engine never warmed up to get oil hot enough to boil out the moisture.

I will say the camaro had the cleanest oil out of all my new vehicles changed within the 1st 1000 miles (2000 Silverado, 2008 Tahoe, & 2010 Silverado).

If you have lots of glittery stuff in your oil you should be concerned. While it is perfectly normal for oil to get dark, turning to a nice metalic brown is not normal. Have to wonder what the oil filter caught if the oil is loaded with metalflake.

You can tell how long the oil has been in your truck if you bought it new from the dealer. Look at the door sticker for the build date of your truck. That is when the oil was put into the engine. If it says 10/2011 on your newly purchased 2012 Sierra, the oil has been sitting in the engine since October of last year. Length of time sitting in a dormant engine is not something you need to be concerned about usually. It is all the startups to move the truck around the lot that will do the damage to the oil. Engine never warmed up to get oil hot enough to boil out the moisture.

It doesn't concern me because every new car, truck or motorcycle I've done this too has the same visual result, I just believe it's good practice to drain the oil once before 1K miles.

Don't recall seeing metallic pieces in mine either. Nothing u can do about it now but if u see metallic at next oil change I'd be concerned. I wouldn't go long before the next change either.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Archived