AC Delco PF48 - no anti drainback valve?

Does the PF48 have an anti drainback valve, specifically the PF48 (non e-core filter)? Some places says that it does and some say that it does not. I went with a Wix this time because it says on the box that it does have one.

Does anybody know for sure?

Here is a breakdown of an oil filter, for those who may be unaware of what an ADBV looks like or whats its function is. You can plainly see it covering the inlet holes to prevent back flow...

EAO_ExplodedFilter_900px.jpg

I wasn't sure if it had one or not so I went with a Wix since it does. Some places say that it does have an ADV and some places don't. I couldn't find anything on AC Delco's website either.

I'll take a look at the filter when I get home to see if it does indeed have one. The one I picked up is a non E-core filter.

I'm assuming you are using this on your 08 Silverado, if you are, a drain back valve isn't needed anyway. Your filter is mounted right side up and the filter does not drain back into the pan when the vehicle is turned off. There is always oil left in the filter.

Remove your oil filter on the GM truck engine and what happens? About a 1/2 qt of oil drains out. The anit-drainback valve allows optimum oil pressure to be reached much quicker by keeping the oil filter and part of the upper engine filled with oil.

Some GM engines used to come without them but if was not because they were not needed. Anti-backflow valves can impede the factory oil fill because they pressure fill a new engine through the oil gallery so there is no dry-start when it fired for the first time. Also, on the assembly line, they only have 30 (+-) seconds to put 6 quarts of oil in!! So, the factory filter may not have had an anti-siphon valve in the past but the service filter will have one to minimize drainback.

The fact that a filter has an ADBV is good for the engine, there is no downside to having it. If the filter did not have one you would likely here the lifters rattling till oil reached them.

All AC Delco filters have them. This is dated back in 2007..................

AC Delco introduces the next generation of Duraguard® oil filters. This advanced filter technology allows the filter to function better while being lighter and more easily recycled. The oil filter redesign will be a rolling change with no price impact. An improved nylon core provides more open area in the core, yielding more filtering area for improved flow in a smaller canister, while maintaining the same capacity as the larger canister. Increased efficiency, higher collapse strength, and higher burst strength are the result of a roll seam design. The redesigned concave base plate allows for the accommodation of the combination relief and anti-drain back valve, while incorporating a raised threaded flange. Four new filter sizes cover the redesigned part numbers.

Here is pic of the PF48 showing the ADBV (black in color)...

DSC00146_zpsc3f7fdaa.jpg

Archived