Would you tow this?

Looking at a 2 horse trailer with living quarters that weighs in at 6200lbs without a horse in it. I have a 2010 1500 Crew with 6sp. When I first got the truck this spring I searched all the rpo codes and it looks like I have all the heavy duty options that the 1500 came with. If I recall it said I could go up near 9000. Would like to hear your thoughts.

If you have the trailering pkg. with the six speed it should have the 4.10 gears. The six speed should also have the tow-haul mode. Use a good (Prodigy) brake controller and a good weight-distributing (Equalizer) hitch.

For what it's worth-I am currently towing a 5,000 pound-29 foot travel trailer across the country with my 2011-5.3 SIlverado Crew Cab. I am using the products I mentioned above.

The 5.3/6 speed combo didn't come with 4.10's I don't even think it came with 3.73's

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

If you have the trailering pkg. with the six speed it should have the 4.10 gears. The six speed should also have the tow-haul mode. Use a good (Prodigy) brake controller and a good weight-distributing (Equalizer) hitch.

5.3/6-spd will have either 3.42 or 3.08 gears from the factory. 3.42 is rated to over 9000 lbs, while the 3.08 is rated to less than 7000. Not sure why the big difference, but that's how they're spec'd.

How much does a horse weigh? I bet with two horses, your riding gear, living gear, food, etc you would be at your limit, if not over. That's assuming you don't have water tanks. 9000 lbs on a half ton is a lot. It's a lot in a 2500hd. I sure wouldn't do it. Plus if you ever had an accident, and you were overweight, you insurance company would most likely laugh at you.

Yes , see how much tongue weight by hooking up and see how much the rear drops and adjust accordingly with weight distribution hitch... Your truck will be in tow haul mode and set the factory break controller high for those idiots who cut you off in traffic. Try the brakes after pulling a short distance and adjust accordingly...on the highest setting it still depends on your brake pedal pressure so I normally leave mine at 8 or 9 on factory controller specially city driving when you need them most.

Looking at a 2 horse trailer with living quarters that weighs in at 6200lbs without a horse in it. I have a 2010 1500 Crew with 6sp. When I first got the truck this spring I searched all the rpo codes and it looks like I have all the heavy duty options that the 1500 came with. If I recall it said I could go up near 9000. Would like to hear your thoughts.

I wouldn't make it a regular affair if I was you. Here is why.

6200lbs is probably the "Dry Weight" Add camping gear, pots/pans, food, water, propane, batteries. options etc. and you most likely will be at about 7500lbs. Add to that 2 horses at ~1200lbs each puts you at 9900 with out tack and hay etc. Your truck will also run out of payload quick with ~ 1200lbs of tongue weight.

If you don't plan on putting horses in the trailer then your truck would work well. Add horses and tack and you will kill your truck if you do it a lot. If you plan to put some miles on while loaded then move up to a 3/4ton.

Archived