Edmunds 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Review

Drove a SLT short bed with the 20" wheels and the Z71 package yesterday. I thought it rode pretty good. I purposely crossed railroad tracks, any rough spots I saw. Did seem a little solid on one small pothole. Thats the short sidewall tires I would think. Over all I was impressed. If it would have been the right color it would probably be headed for my garage. While I'm here anyone have the Bose speakers?

IMHO, the "Bose" package does nothing for trucks with the 40/20/40 seats. There's not much base response and I couldn't tell a huge difference between the standard audio system. If you have the full console the package includes a subwoofer and I have much better bass response. It's not going to blow you away but it's passable and the new cab sealing makes for a better experience than past Bose systems.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely want the 40/20/40 front seat. I will prob get the Bose and add my own sub later. Hopefully the Bose package with 40/20/40 at least adds an amp to power the 6 speakers. Can anyone confirm this?

$500 upgrade over 72 months costs $6.94 per month. I can swing that. ;-)

I remember reading a thread about GMT 900 trucks with non-Bose systems that speaker failure was common.

I had the Bose system in a '04.5 & the old Monsoon system in a Firebird. No comparison, Bose sounded great & the Monsoon if anything was just loud. Then the 2007 had the Bose as well & it sounded different, i.e. cheaper & thinner. Both trucks were leather bucket seat/console LT's. Heck, maybe it was just me, but kind of thought it would have been better to spend the $500 at a aftermarket shop?

Bought all three of those vehicles used, so was not up to me to make changes. The 2013 I have now was in stock at the dealership & has the stock standard system & it leaves some to be desired.

Also ... can someone confirm there is really a factory sub with the Bose & bucket seats?

I thought I read somewhere that was only going to come with the Denali model.

From the configurator...and also based on my own truck.

The premium Bose® audio system features 6 speakers located throughout the cabin for rich, clear acoustics. It includes:

Active Noise Cancellation system when ordered with the 6.2L V8 EcoTec3 engine and bucket seats (Not available until Fall of 2013)

7-speaker system with subwoofer when ordered with bucket seats

This feature is included in the SLT Crew Cab Value Package or the Texas SLT Crew Cab Value Package.

Tons of people removed the air dam from their 900-series trucks, myself included and never have had cooling issues or serious drops in fuel efficiency.

The accumulation of snow and ice on the road removed my airdam the first winter, I never bothered to replace it and saw no ill effect

Also ... can someone confirm there is really a factory sub with the Bose & bucket seats?

I thought I read somewhere that was only going to come with the Denali model.

My 2010 Denali does not have a sub, at least if it does it's not noticable, but then I dont think that the system is a Bose system

I had the little factory sub in my 2007 .. or maybe the 2005... cant remember. All I remember it that it was junk. I added a JL 12in.

With the new 2014 I have coming - I plan on adding this low profile 13in behind the seat... assuming there is a little free space back there...http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_35367_JL_Audio_13TW5V2-4.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping_Price_Comparison&gclid=COmK5bb1jrgCFVJo7AodjQoA5Q

I had the little factory sub in my 2007 .. or maybe the 2005... cant remember. All I remember it that it was junk. I added a JL 12in.

With the new 2014 I have coming - I plan on adding this low profile 13in behind the seat... assuming there is a little free space back there...http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_35367_JL_Audio_13TW5V2-4.aspx?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping_Price_Comparison&gclid=COmK5bb1jrgCFVJo7AodjQoA5Q

Nice sub! Great price compared to other sites.

The Bose w/ bucket seats has a sub under the lower front section of the center console (same location as the GMT-900's). Overall the system sounds good, but is lacking at the low end range.

If you're talking about mounting that 13" JL behind the rear crew cab seats, good luck. That JL requires 0.8 cubic feet and the new trucks have even less space under the rear seats now and what appears to be equal/less behind them. My 0.5 cubic foot box takes up almost 2/3 of space under.

As for air dam, it does not affect cooling on the GMC's. However, it is twice the height of the previous models, so you'll likely loose 1-2 MPG removing it. Unless you commute a lot, take it off! Truck looks much better without it!

The Bose w/ bucket seats has a sub under the lower front section of the center console (same location as the GMT-900's). Overall the system sounds good, but is lacking at the low end range.

If you're talking about mounting that 13" JL behind the rear crew cab seats, good luck. That JL requires 0.8 cubic feet and the new trucks have even less space under the rear seats now and what appears to be equal/less behind them. My 0.5 cubic foot box takes up almost 2/3 of space under.

As for air dam, it does not affect cooling on the GMC's. However, it is twice the height of the previous models, so you'll likely loose 1-2 MPG removing it. Unless you commute a lot, take it off! Truck looks much better without it!

MotoMedic...can you tell me how/where you tapped in to add your sub?

I was looking to mount the sub in behind the seat of a double cab.... not crew. But since I ( and everyone else) has not seen one of these trucks yet...it's hard to say if it will fit. If you think it wont fit in a crew... I'm guessing the double cab wont be any better.

MotoMedic...can you tell me how/where you tapped in to add your sub?

I haven't yet.. my garage is open on the sides and it's been raining everyday here for the past week so I haven't had a chance. I'm going to wire to Bose amp under center console and will take pics when I'm finally able to remove seats, etc..

Archived