Need a Fair opinion on guys towing with the new 5.3l

nards444

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just re-read your 1st post, You have an ecoboost. Keep it. What little cash you think you can get from trading it in cant be much and isn't worth it. If I'm wrong give us the number if you want real advice.

Well Its double digits so its not pennies. Grand scheme with everything involved the math puts me way ahead. Thanks for all the concern from everybody. I have all the math worked out, I just need to know if this truck is worth its name in towing. I am sure it can do it, and I know its going to be a step down in towing in what I have, but again Im trying to get a feel for how much.

It's hard to know how a brand new truck that's only been out for a few months is going to do for your particular situation. Truthfully, people who know they are going to be towing 8k plus on a regular basis go with a 3/4 ton truck for the stability they get while towing. It seems that you are dead set on a brand new truck, but you can get what you are looking for in a slightly used truck for way less than it seems you are willing to spend. I purchased my 2500 LT trim gasser truck in 2011 as a 2011 model...used. It was 10 months old and had 12k miles on it. When it was said and done, I got it for $31k out the door, still under warranty, and a 2.25% interest rate. New it would have stickered around 45k. I've had it for 2 years now, and in less than 3 years I will own it and not have any more payments. Those are the kind of deals that are out there if you look for them. It makes no sense to keep buying new and dumping trucks every 30-40k miles. All you are doing is giving someone else a great deal on a vehicle that will need minimal maintenance for the next 150-200k miles. Any 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck will tow your boat less than an hour each way, but a 3/4 ton will do it more safely and confidently. Buy whatever you feel like getting and see yourself driving for 10 years.

Look guys I have done all the math its a win win deal for me. I pay off loans, get a new truck, and put more money into my pocket on a monthly basis. Maybe it was missed but I need a double/crew cab, so that requires something different. I don't want a used truck as well because I want to cash out and pay off some stuff and get ready for a kid.

I don't want a used old truck or want to keep one for 10 years, I just don't. If you run the cost of ownership of keeping a truck for 10 years and 100k plus, then run the numbers of just having a car payment and a new car you might be shocked. It's not as simple as not having a payment. I get GM employee pricing, and my f150 I bought for 32 where it stickered for 40, my last 07 Silverado I bought for 26 and dumped for 23 after two years of service. I keep my payments low due to the discounts and equity I have built, I don't have 5-$600 payments. To me Id rather have a scheduled budgeted payment, then worry about $1000 fixes and looking to cover the money. And you shouldn't look at it as I own or don't own it, it has to be looked at as cost of ownership over a certain period of time, I challenge people to save every maint repair on their vehicle after 10 years, a lot of people dump money after money into a vehicle. Having new I don't have any maint payments beyond oil and filters. Remember on a truck at 10 years, probably have to replace tires twice that alone is 2-3 grand. Breaks, exhaust, alternators, starters, radiators, all that stuff goes. There is residual cost in that as well, such as tow trucks causing accidents etc. Also my time is money and not having my truck makes thinks like having a boat a waste if I cant use, so Ill pay for reliability. Sure I can make some fixes and do, but my time is money as well. Plus keep in mind every year vehicles get better mpg and require less maint, so that also is a cost savings.

Not doing a 3/4 said and done, if I did it would be a diesel, a gasser does not do much more for me than what I have now, the only real thing is payload other than that tow rating, HP/torque are virtually the same and are within 10%. And diesel cost me roughly 2500-3 grand more a year to operate, just to keep that diesel for 10 years cost me 30k more to run, so I can be in a half ton and be new for close to 10k cheaper over a 10 year period instead of keeping that diesel. sure a gasser would be cheaper than a diesel, but by how much as they suck gas and hook that boat to is, and im looking at 8mpg or less. I would bet the gasser would run me at 1000 more a year than what I now, of which the gasser could only tow about 1000lbs more.

But I see what people are getting at, but I don't pay full price for things nor do I have monster payments. And I gladly sacrifice a manageable payment for having peace of mind, reliability and when things to break, its free.

With GM it makes no sense to buy new-used as with discount im at the same price. I can get a 45k 13 2500 gas for 35 from 44k. I mean 3-4 grand is worth paying to get a new truck instead of used. Also with my bank I get 1.99 or less current truck is 1.49. So Its a big equation I am working with here. And get lucky with discounts and have worked my way to where I am, so like I said earlier its more complicated then a guy just wanting a new truck and willing to spend whatever,.

I'd stick with the Ford for now since towing is such a priority and give GM a year or so to fit the CTS Vsport (3.6 Twin Turbo 8spd) driveline into the trucks and then step up. That's a combination that would get me to part with my 08 pretty quickly

There are some videos on youtube comparing the new 5.3L, Ford, and Ram trucks by the Fast Lane:

Unfortunately they did not have the max tow but just a truck with the 3.08 ratio and a max tow capacity of 6k. They towed a boat of ~6k. So, not exactly what you are looking for but still interesting to watch.

Rv forum is a good idea. You will not get anything but bias on here towards gm lol. Like all the guys that will gripe about the turbos... or the dumbest one I see because it doesn't sound good enough lol.... all from people that have never even sat in one... nor would know what a turbocharger was if they were looking at it. I have driven the eco and I like it but am not impressed with Fords lack of ability to figure out how to drain water from the intercooler..... like a check valve and a vacuum connection. Haven't driven a 2014 gm nor will I ever bother too so I can't say much how they pull.

BOOM

I agree with this.

FWIW the ego- boost will out pull any other half ton on the market as of today. My friend got updated intercooler and boots on re-call so I think the dead pedal is fixed...

BOOM I agree with this. FWIW the ego- boost will out pull any other half ton on the market as of today. My friend got updated intercooler and boots on re-call so I think the dead pedal is fixed...

Lol..... yeah they put a more restrictive intercooler with a baffle in it..... sigh. Ford, Ford, Ford. Like I said, find a way to drain the water with engine vacuum..... maybe 20 years from now.

nice videos. I test drove a chevy the other day with 3.08, no nuts whatsoever, I dont know who would buy that set up. Im guessing 3.42 and 3.73 will be much better.

Also the max trailer option is not available yet to order but is in the system. Dealer tells me he thinks the ability to order it will be soon.

BOOM I agree with this. FWIW the ego- boost will out pull any other half ton on the market as of today. My friend got updated intercooler and boots on re-call so I think the dead pedal is fixed...

Lol..... yeah they put a more restrictive intercooler with a baffle in it..... sigh. Ford, Ford, Ford. Like I said, find a way to drain the water with engine vacuum..... maybe 20 years from now.

The funny thing is the 6.4 PSD's had the exact same issue, just not as bad. Their is a TSB for the same thing with the 6.4 LOL. You can't pull vacuum from an intercooler system, the pressure will always be greater in the boost system I would think. The flaw is in the design itself. You look at how Chevy designs it, their is no spot for anything to be trapped. Every system creates condensation, they don't let it accumulate in a low spot. I've looked at one ecoboost in person, the intercooler is a horrible design inlet and outlet are placed in really stupid spots...JMO

Ford can figure out how to sell millions of dollars of inferior product but can't figure out how to build an intercooler/turbo system LOLOLOLOL.

The funny thing is the 6.4 PSD's had the exact same issue, just not as bad. Their is a TSB for the same thing with the 6.4 LOL. You can't pull vacuum from an intercooler system, the pressure will always be greater in the boost system I would think. The flaw is in the design itself. You look at how Chevy designs it, their is no spot for anything to be trapped. Every system creates condensation, they don't let it accumulate in a low spot. I've looked at one ecoboost in person, the intercooler is a horrible design inlet and outlet are placed in really stupid spots...JMO Ford can figure out how to sell millions of dollars of inferior product but can't figure out how to build an intercooler/turbo system LOLOLOLOL.

Engines create vacuum when the throttle is closed...... you know, gas engines lol. When the engine goes into vacuum open a valve and dump the water, done. The intercooler is a $hitty design but you have to work with what you are given.

The funny thing is the 6.4 PSD's had the exact same issue, just not as bad. Their is a TSB for the same thing with the 6.4 LOL. You can't pull vacuum from an intercooler system, the pressure will always be greater in the boost system I would think. The flaw is in the design itself. You look at how Chevy designs it, their is no spot for anything to be trapped. Every system creates condensation, they don't let it accumulate in a low spot. I've looked at one ecoboost in person, the intercooler is a horrible design inlet and outlet are placed in really stupid spots...JMO Ford can figure out how to sell millions of dollars of inferior product but can't figure out how to build an intercooler/turbo system LOLOLOLOL.

Engines create vacuum when the throttle is closed...... you know, gas engines lol. When the engine goes into vacuum open a valve and dump the water, done. The intercooler is a $hitty design but you have to work with what you are given.

But I would think it would never be enough vacuum. That's what I'm saying, always be more boost than vacuum no????

You can do it with a solenoid referencing map signal if you have too. But a check valve works. Differential pressure between the discharge of the intercooler and somewhere intake side of the throttle body will allow it. When the engine goes into vacuum the check is forced open from the turbo side and pushes the water out into the intake........ except this is frequent and small levels of moisture Under load it wouldn't matter as it sees boost on either side anyway.

Archived