Need a Fair opinion on guys towing with the new 5.3l

nards444

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice videos. I test drove a chevy the other day with 3.08, no nuts whatsoever, I dont know who would buy that set up. Im guessing 3.42 and 3.73 will be much better.

Also the max trailer option is not available yet to order but is in the system. Dealer tells me he thinks the ability to order it will be soon.

I tow 8-9k about eight to twelve times a year and the 6.2 (3:42) would be my recomendation as a minimum. As mentioned earlier the NHT tow package on the 5.3 or new 6.2 will make all of the difference. Since your trips are short the 5.3 should do fine with the 3.73's. Do not get the 3:42's with the new 5.3 if you need to max the towing, it will do the job but you will probably be disapointed.

After the run around yesterday. Its true the 5.3l can not be ordered yet in NHT. According to GM the 5.3 has been available for a while now, and GM wanted to build and promote their 6.2l. This was just BS with the guy on the phone. Why the 6.2 only in LTZ I dont know. But with a 6.2l all star edition, 4x4 and crew cab it was 50k. Well for that Id take a platinum or diesel.

• 1 month later...

I have a 5.3 CC 3.42 short bed and tow a 7,000 lb horse trailer. When I get over 60mph I wish I had a longer wheelbase to keep the sway out of the trailer. My 2,000 lb Clydesdale likes to move around back there. Power and braking are fine.

Thanks I didnt get the short bed I ordered the standard or bed. Ordered the truck around SEP 26 or something I got a call last week while on vacation and the truck showed up, havent been able to talk to dealer or go look at it. I have to go in and look at it, run the numbers and see if it makes sense.

Ok picked up the truck last night got the max tow package. Ordered 27 SEP and it showed up last week and I picked up this week. So far the truck is a very smooth ride. The interior is very nice and miles ahead of the old model. As far as towing that will have to wait. One thing to not currently the NHT or tow package can only be ordered with the LT1 or LTZ 1 no Z71 or suspension package. I was also told you can not order with the all star package, which I dont if thats 100% true or not, either way I got the convience package and 18in wheels come with the tow package.

Ok picked up the truck last night got the max tow package. Ordered 27 SEP and it showed up last week and I picked up this week. So far the truck is a very smooth ride. The interior is very nice and miles ahead of the old model. As far as towing that will have to wait. One thing to not currently the NHT or tow package can only be ordered with the LT1 or LTZ 1 no Z71 or suspension package. I was also told you can not order with the all star package, which I dont if thats 100% true or not, either way I got the convience package and 18in wheels come with the tow package.

Can you clarify that a bit. Did you get the 5.3 w/ max tow and 3.73 gears? If so, what's the payload rating on the door sticker?

Ill try later tonight. I ordered the first time it was available and before they even went down the line. They started production on OCT 14th, so Im assuming the option is not as big as they thought at least right off the bat.

I didnt check the door jam last night, but verified the windo sticker and it has the 5.3, 3.73 gearing, and 9.76 rear end as I ordered it.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you clarify that a bit. Did you get the 5.3 w/ max tow and 3.73 gears? If so, what's the payload rating on the door sticker?

w/5.3 and max tow (3.73) max trailer is 11200 on a 15753 (double cab std box 4x4).

Slightly different for other box/cab combos. Slightly more for 2wd

I own a 2011 5.3 CC 4x4 and I am a magazine editor that does a lot of pickup towing tests/reviews. If you want honesty, the 2014 5.3L will still struggle compared to the 6.2L that's coming out in 2014s.

I'd recommend the bigger engine because if you tow your boat a lot, the bigger engine will provide better mpg and towing prowess than the smaller V-8. You can also order the Max Tow package, which will come with 3.73s. The axle is different (bigger/stronger) in that option.

Regardless of engine, get a weight-distributing hitch for your boat trailer if the trailered weight is more than 6,000 pounds. (yes, there are a couple companies that offer W-Ds designed to work with surge-brake trailers.) The setup will not help mpg/power, but it'll do wonders for stability and control.

2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Review

Thanks for the information. I tossed around the 6.2 but with all factors considered its a poor decision at least for me. Like I said I tow that load max 10-12 times a year tops 40mins one way both on roads going 60mph with gently rolling terrain one way and flat the other. No doubt the 6.2 will give added power but then again your still talking about a 1/2 ton put a diesel in a half ton its still going to tow like half ton.

Really when you factor in the cost of the 6.2 having to get it in a top trim level, the fact that my MPG will suffer the other 350 days of the years, its really a bad call. 6.2 in general IMO is space manufactures have tried to fill from guys wanting 3/4tons but cant afford or dont want the cost of upkeep on them, in the end Im not sure you get that much capability.

I appreaciate the information specially on the WD hitch. Truck is already bought. I just went from an eco which in my book for half a ton towed like 10, and I expected some downward progress but didnt want to go from a 10 to a 5.

Archived