Need a Fair opinion on guys towing with the new 5.3l

nards444

I've read your post and I have to ask. If you are looking to tow over 9k pounds, why are you not considering a f250 or 2500 of any brand? I understand if it's cost. But why buy and 1500 or f150 of any brand and then tow to their limits? I have a gmt900 5.3 6spd 3.42 rear with heavy towing package which is rated for over 9k pounds, and don't like towing much more than 6k pounds. I don't like feeling like I'm over working the truck. Again, just curious and I don't hate on any brand. I bought my GMC because I liked it more than the others. Not because I'm a GMC only guy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You nailed it cost. Last diesel I had was an 08 so crappy mpg. With diesel cost added maint cost etc. the diesel was running me 2500-3000 more a year then what my half ton runs me. Basically savings pays my car note. I boat 40mins and 25 mins away. The f150 is more than capable for that and feels plenty in control. Now a 3/4 ton gasser cost wouldn't be so bad but still going to cost more. And if you start comparing say an Eco to a 3/4 gasser the gap is not as large as you might think.

I have a 11,300 capacity I tow with two people in the truck and a cooler so I'm not worried I'm getting close to capacity but still only at 80-85% capacity. I even towed the boat 1200miles at 68mph and got close to13mpg doing so. Again felt fine to me and I have towed with cars, vans, trucks,med duty trucks. And have towed everything from jet skis to 32ft travel trailers. I feel more than comfortable towing 8-9k in a half ton given the new technology and what the truck is actually compromised of. Just think a Chevy 1500 has close to 100 more Hp and torque, gets better mpg and weighs over 1000lbs more than a 1500 did 10-12 years ago. So I really beleive and specs will support a modern half ton being more than a 5-6k towing vehicle. But then again you have to do what's comfortable. And yes there guys ou there that say you can't beleive any brands ratings. Which ok who do we beleive some guy on the Internet

I don't want to compare a 1500 to a 2500. 2500 wins in most categories except cost and that's what I'm interested in

I know the current 2500HD still has the "old styling interior & exterior", but have you looked at the current rebates for one- '13? I ask because we just stepped up to a '13 CCSB 4x4 6.0 from a '10 Chevy 1500 CCSB 4x4 5.3, and recieved $8500 in rebates. Made the 2500 cheaper than the new '14 1500's!

Main reason we stepped up was payload! And being under rawr by 200lbs, and the better half wanted the coolers & the wood totes out of the trailer when we take firewood.

I have pulled over 7k with our '10 5.3/6spd/3.42 and never felt a need for more power (more is always more fun though!!!). Mpg is what it is, crummy with a gasser! Ours was between 7.5-10 depending on which way we went ( north or east) and wind, empty was around 16-17 heading north depending on wind.

What type of terrain do you travel with the boat, fairly flat or hilly? Also, the ec mpg. is that hand calculated, or by the truck computer?

Good luck deciding!

Understand the daily driver issue vs towing! Makes it tough. Probably only thing you can do is wait a little bit to see what the max tow pkg adds to the Chevy when it is finally available, and what available payload is with the truck optioned the way you want!

I know the current 2500HD still has the "old styling interior & exterior", but have you looked at the current rebates for one- '13? I ask because we just stepped up to a '13 CCSB 4x4 6.0 from a '10 Chevy 1500 CCSB 4x4 5.3, and recieved $8500 in rebates. Made the 2500 cheaper than the new '14 1500's!

Main reason we stepped up was payload! And being under rawr by 200lbs, and the better half wanted the coolers & the wood totes out of the trailer when we take firewood.

I have pulled over 7k with our '10 5.3/6spd/3.42 and never felt a need for more power (more is always more fun though!!!). Mpg is what it is, crummy with a gasser! Ours was between 7.5-10 depending on which way we went ( north or east) and wind, empty was around 16-17 heading north depending on wind.

What type of terrain do you travel with the boat, fairly flat or hilly? Also, the ec mpg. is that hand calculated, or by the truck computer?

Good luck deciding!

Yeah I was going to look at the HD, I thought about that. As whatever rebates and such are out there I can get another 3-5k from GM discount. Problem is you price a base LT with crew cab and diesel, your already at 50 realistically priced at probably 53-54. So To get that price under 40k would be tough. Plus if I were to get what I wanted for price diesel cost 30-45 cents more a gallon around here and in most areas. If you do the math, you have to average upwards of 30mpg to actually save money in comparison to a 1/2 ton. So I don't know but definitely going to throw the card in the ring.

well if you look at it from cost and unbiased capability perspective, I think you are right. Problem I need cash and the only place I have some at right now is in my current truck

Not good... may want to sell both the truck and boat, and take a breather from the debt-mobile. Cash in the bank is *way* better than shiny paint.

Edit: not judging your situation... as I haven't a clue... but you're comment is backwards from how it should be. Just trying to be honest, but not preachy...

Thanks for the advice. Im not going to get into it. But i should have clarified I'm not I'm a dier situation. Just tryin to get ahead and plan a vehicle for kid use. I've ran the math and stopped by dealer today ran numbers and after doing this I'm way ahead now if I did it

But you can order the max trailer now and the all star edition is going to be called something different soon

Blue and I were talking about 2500 gas, not diesel. But if 2500 is out the question and cost is the over riding factor... You probably need a base model ecoboost. Power to pull your trailer once in awhile at the ecoboost trucks limit and good on gas when your not. And I just talked to a dealer about a new 2013 2500 Sierra SLT crewcab 4x4 SLT Diesel for 47K. And that was online. Not even going in and haggling. I was consider trading up but probably wont. If you are trying to "get ahead", keep what you have.

It's all about payload first, then the motor. Check the yellow and white sticker inside your driver's door jam. It will have the tire size listed plus the manufacturers payload rating. It will say the passengers and cargo fro this vehicle shall not exceed XXXX. YOU SUBTRACT YOUR TONGUE WEIGHT FROM THAT. Whatever is left is the passengers and cargo you can haul. If this is not enough weight left-you can't do what you are asking. This is assuming your truck is equipped with some kind of towing package as others have stated.

There was a guy on another forum who traded in his 5.3 Silverado for a 6.0-thought he would buy a bigger trailer, after I told him to look at the payload he found out after spending the money on the new truck, he only gained 300 pounds in payload. So he was on the forum figuring out how he was going to buy a bigger trailer and tow it.

This is to let you know what you can do LEGALLY & SAFELY.

Archived