Newbie to the Strip

Christiank22

I finally have a track around me and I'm hoping to get out and try it out sometime and I'm curious on the best way to launch my truck, it has a 3k stall in it so should I just flash it or go up to about 2k rpms and drop it? Also, leave it in drive or use the manual mode? Sorry for the basic questions, just don't wanna look like "that guy"

• 2 months later...

will since its a awd you will get better launch off the line. When you reach the track let the truck cool off. Take your system out and anything in the bed take out. Since your stall is at 3000 hold the brake and gas till 3000. Your gona have to try different rpms to launch. Try different air pressure. Such as 32psi 25psi and 18psi. Only way to get a good run is to keep trying what works for you. Have someone that's experience with drag racing go with you. Talk to the guys at the pits for helpful tips. Only way to get to know your truck on the drag strip is get out there and do it.

Is it a 6.2l or 5.3l? Don't expect a fast time on your first time. If you spin the tires coming out the hole let of the gas the hit it again. Spinning tires only slows your et. Getting a good 60ft time well really help out your 1/4 or 1/8 mile time.

Hey thanks for the respond, I'm gonna have to wait for spring to finally get out there, but I'll let you know what the time is when I get there. And it's a 6.2, what do you recommend when comparing drive to manual? Also, would investing in a pair of less grippy tires be worth it, even some A/T's compared to these M/T's I currently have.

Yea mud tires won't help. Stock 6.2l I have seen run mid 14s. Try your quarter mile in drive and in manual mode. It won't make much difference in them. But you have a lift and tires so don't expect to see 14 seconds. I would say 15-16 second 1/4 mile. But I haven't seen a gas burner in the new model chevys run 1/4 mile with a lift.

Yea mud tires won't help. Stock 6.2l I have seen run mid 14s. Try your quarter mile in drive and in manual mode. It won't make much difference in them. But you have a lift and tires so don't expect to see 14 seconds. I would say 15-16 second 1/4 mile. But I haven't seen a gas burner in the new model chevys run 1/4 mile with a lift.

I might be being hopeful, but I'll be really disappointed if I run those times just because of what I all have done.

I have had my truck on a strip. Traction and 60 ft time is your biggest worry. You have awd so it will help. Last time I went I was screwing around on an 1/8 mile and best time was a 9.7 with the old 4.8. Tire size vs gear will hurt you.

I have had my truck on a strip. Traction and 60 ft time is your biggest worry. You have awd so it will help. Last time I went I was screwing around on an 1/8 mile and best time was a 9.7 with the old 4.8. Tire size vs gear will hurt you.

My 4.10's will make my time worse? I thought that would help?

Archived