Steering locked up while making turn

I have a 2012 Silverado 1500LT 4wd 5.3 crew cab with 12k miles and this morning I was slowing down to make a turn and the steering locked up( like the power steering shut off) for a few seconds and I nearly hit someone.Pretty scary with wife and kids in truck. I have never experienced this in any car or truck I have owned.I recently purchased this truck from a dealer and have had nothing but problems with it since I drove it off the lot: Tranny constantly makes clunking sounds while changing gears, vibration on freeway, poor fuel economy avg 12.0 mpg (unloaded) and now this. Had a 1998 Silverado ran great and no problems but this truck is a big disappointment. The engineers at GM really dropped the ball on this

truck and from what I have been finding out is these problems are widespread and GM and dealers just keep saying "Its normal".Well its not normal for me!.......Any body else experiencing these issues?

Almost sounds like the pressure relief valve is hung open...no pressure, no power assist.

Some of the HD Dodges were known for this (used a similar steering box), with some being caused by a plugged screen and others a worn plunger.

Archived