Swapping Tires Question(s)

JCthebigTree

This is the last thing 'complaint/question' I'm going to have on the forum. Once it gets back from the shop tomorrow the 4wd should be back in working order and I should then only be able to compliment the truck and finally enjoy it the way it should be.

Anyways. Winter driving and not having 4wd really made me aware of just how bad the Goodyear SRA's [275/55/20] that come on my All Terrain Sierra Double Cab are...maybe mine are just worse than others for whatever reason.

I've complained to the dealer about the tires and the parts manager said he'd get me a set of Bridgestone A/T RH-S for $240 (Or Revo's for $250) a pop and give me $100 a tire for the SRA's (only $100 because they have 900 miles - 700 miles when I started complaining - and can't be sold as new).

So around $700-$750 after installation fee's and taxes - which means the tonneau cover that I ordered will have to wait as it blows my vehicle budget for a couple months. And, looking online I'm finding them on Tire Rack for closer to $210.

Here are my questions:

-Is it asking too much if I push them to do a straight up swap on the tires?

-If so, is it too much to push them to get me the new tires at cost while still

giving me the $100 for each SRA?

-I should at least be getting the installation for free right!?

Basically, any thoughts on how far I should be (or how I should be) pushing them considering the hassles I've dealt with on the truck (no 4wd, no loaner while it was in the shop 2 days, etc. etc.) and the fact that I haven't pushed them on anything else really and dealt with some poor service?

I would push to get then at dealer cost, free installation, and $100 in trade. If they fight you call GM Customer Service. The Bridgestone Dialer A/T are what I have on my truck and they went awesome in the snow last week. When other cars were skidding sideways into the guard rail I just kept on truckin...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Parts manager is the best guy I'm dealing with at that dealership - which is a bit disappointing.

Told him I was concerned about safety with the Goodyear's, especially since I'm not confident in the 4 wd system at this point.

He's definitely on my side, he's going to work with the sales department to get them to buy the Goodyear's and take the hit on a swap - but worst case he's giving them to me at cost and I think I'll be able to get them to install for free.

He said "Those Goodyear's are phenomenal summer tires if you just park the truck" he clearly doesn't think much of them. It's a shame GM puts them on in the first place.

Team_Artic, I'd definitely suggest swapping before taking delivery, especially up in the ONT.

After research on the forum, we swapped our SRAs at cost before delivery for A/T RH-S with a credit because they were still new tires. We have been very happy with the A/T RH-S in the snow and light off roading.

My question is why penalize the dealer for tires GM sourced? You have used tires that the dealer is willing to buy back, which is better than nothing. I'd ask for their best price and see what they do for install, but really the dealer shouldn't be on the hook for a tire you don't particularly like. That's just my opinion. If they eat the cost of the tire and labor, then they are a great dealership looking out for you.

Good luck!

My question is why penalize the dealer for tires GM sourced?

I don't completely disagree - I even told the parts guy that I normally would never ask for more than what they offered... But here's my feelings -

1.) The dealer represents GM and is the front line of customer service for GM - If they'd rather, I can complain directly to GM - but they probably don't want that and it would probably just come back to the dealer anyways (which is why I've not replied to the GM service people on the forum here...yet).

2.) I had the 4wd module (among some other small issues) go out 600 miles into owning a $48K vehicle and the dealer's service (having the truck for days, not offering a loaner, and poor communication) hasn't been great - so I suppose I'm looking for them to 'make it up to me' - rational or not.

3.) From what the parts manager and my sales guy have told me -after the fact- the SRA's are crap. I've bought 4 vehicles from the sales guy and we have a good working relationship... Why wouldn't he say "Listen, great truck, you'll love it, but we gotta talk about swapping the tires before you put any miles on them." I'm in sales, if I sell a product where I know there is an issue with a simple fix, I'm presenting that simple fix as a bottom line service to my client. If I fail to do so, that's on me and not the company I represent.

4.) Lacking some confidence in the 4wd system at this point and having no confidence in the tires, I have legitimate safety concerns...especially considering the part of the country I live in and the out of the way places I get into in the winter. I traded in my old truck so I could be confident in the condition of the vehicle I'm driving. I'm not going to just accept a safety risk and I think the dealer should stand behind the product they sell, especially when its a serious matter and I think safety risks are a serious matter.

I'm not asking for tough looking off road tires so the truck can look good...I'm asking for a better tire that lives up to what this truck is sold as so that I can be confident in my & my family's safety on the road.

I'd probably be happy with paying the difference in cost on the two tires (approx. $30 a tire) with them eating the labor on installation - that's basically about what would have been offered up front had we discussed swapping tires.

All fair and reasonable points to me. Hopefully, the dealer will install no charge. Seems like a cheap way for them to ensure a happier customer.

When you're done, be sure to let us know how they really do compare. Like I said, I swapped based on the forum's dislike of the stock "all terrain" tire so I never was able to compare them. The A/T RH-S tires have been great so far. We had Revos on our past vehicle and liked them too.

I picked up my truck last night after getting the major issues finally fixed (so nice to have 4wd & auto back!)...

The sales guy had my plates and came out to put them on for me...I feel useless watching someone else screw something that I can just do myself...anyways, he starts asking me how I'm liking the truck other than major issues and I say how much I love it other than the tires and he's acting like I've never mentioned them being terrible. Frustrating.

He goes into how I can get them siped to improve traction and how these are spec SRA's rather than off the Rack SRA's so they'll last 50,000 miles rather than 30,000 miles - My BS meter is flashing on that one.

I've known the guy a long time and my dad has bought from him for 20 years, so I hope he's not purposely trying to BS me.

Haven't heard back from parts on getting a deal workout yet, but as far as siping goes, I'm under the impression the extra traction you might get isn't worth the increase wear issues you WILL get...right?

Unless the dealer is willing to eat a loss on the tires at this point you only have the offer they are willing to give you. I swapped my tires before I even had a 100 miles on them, I am not a goodyear fan at all. Have used them in the past and they suck when it comes to traction and mileage.

Also as far as random issues go, things can break and go wrong on a mass produced vehicle. I am sure some of not most all of these parts are made for a multitude of other vehicles so I would not worry about a module going out that killed the 4wd system. Does it suck on a new truck, yes it does but things go wrong. Heck I didn't even have 250 miles on my truck and one of the wheels is dinged up pretty bad right now from the tire shop. Something I will have to live with at this point.

do you have a discount tire close. 100 miles or less? They will give you a better or same deal on Michelin LTX M/S-2. They are about $215 for your size and they will buy your tires. Much better tire than either stock or what dealer wants to stick it to you for. Good in wet and moderated snow etc...good ride....better balance.

Note dealers not know to be good at balancing. If no discount tire check tire rack and sell take offs local. also discount will work with you if you for some reason do not like. Trust me dealer will not. You buy and it is yours.

This is the last thing 'complaint/question' I'm going to have on the forum. Once it gets back from the shop tomorrow the 4wd should be back in working order and I should then only be able to compliment the truck and finally enjoy it the way it should be.

Anyways. Winter driving and not having 4wd really made me aware of just how bad the Goodyear SRA's [275/55/20] that come on my All Terrain Sierra Double Cab are...maybe mine are just worse than others for whatever reason.

I've complained to the dealer about the tires and the parts manager said he'd get me a set of Bridgestone A/T RH-S for $240 (Or Revo's for $250) a pop and give me $100 a tire for the SRA's (only $100 because they have 900 miles - 700 miles when I started complaining - and can't be sold as new).

So around $700-$750 after installation fee's and taxes - which means the tonneau cover that I ordered will have to wait as it blows my vehicle budget for a couple months. And, looking online I'm finding them on Tire Rack for closer to $210.

Here are my questions:

-Is it asking too much if I push them to do a straight up swap on the tires?

-If so, is it too much to push them to get me the new tires at cost while still

giving me the $100 for each SRA?

-I should at least be getting the installation for free right!?

Basically, any thoughts on how far I should be (or how I should be) pushing them considering the hassles I've dealt with on the truck (no 4wd, no loaner while it was in the shop 2 days, etc. etc.) and the fact that I haven't pushed them on anything else really and dealt with some poor service?

Hey JCthebigTree,

I can understand how frustrating this situation could be. If this is something you would like us to address for you free to reach out via PM. Please include your name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.

GM Customer Care

• 3 weeks later...

Parts guy finally got back to me on the tires.

He's kicking in $100 a tire, the sales department (who I'm peeved with in the first place) is kicking in $50 a tires, so I'm getting $600 for the 4 SR-A's and I'm able to buy the new Bridgestones at cost.

Bridgestone RH-S are $215 and the Bridgestone REVO's are at $221.

Anyone have experience with either or know why I should go with one over the other?

Parts guy finally got back to me on the tires.

He's kicking in $100 a tire, the sales department (who I'm peeved with in the first place) is kicking in $50 a tires, so I'm getting $600 for the 4 SR-A's and I'm able to buy the new Bridgestones at cost.

Bridgestone RH-S are $215 and the Bridgestone REVO's are at $221.

Anyone have experience with either or know why I should go with one over the other?

I'd just run the Goodyears until they're toast and instead get a set of dedicated snow tires. The only people who will try and convince you that any all season or all terrain tire will do well in the snow are those that have never run snow tires.

Guess what? You don't need 4wd w/ snow tires it just makes the vehicle perform that much better. My preference is to have a nice aggressive all terrain for the warmer months (and they'll blow even worse than an all season in the snow) and snows for the winter. The snows should last close to 4-5 seasons depending on how much you drive. I got Michelin latitude snows 275/55/20 for around 170 from the rack of tire.....and they're better in dry pavement and quieter than the goodyears

You can't generalize quite so much. Some AT tires are lousy in the snow--others are quite good (vastly better than any "all season" highway tires).

Intended use is important. Snow tires are great for the winter months--on pavement. If you spend much time offroad quite often there's a layer of mud underneath the snow and snow tires are completely worthless.

Archived