Block Heater

Has anyone used theirs?

The last two nights have been nearing -30F...

Sunday night I did not plug it in and Monday morning the truck started off the remote start just fine, though with a kick of black smoke... Decided that was a bit hard on her, so I plugged it in last night.

First question: Is there any sort of indicator light that tells you the block heater is working? I didn't see anything when I plugged it in and saw nothing in the manual. Would be nice to know its running.

Anyways, went to hit the remote start this morning and the truck wouldn't start...but when I hit lock before starting (in my old Yukon you had to lock then start, I assume the same on this truck) the lights blinked so I knew there was power. Ran outside in my pj's and turned it over manually and it started right up like it was 50F degrees out.

Questions: Why didn't the remote start work? Was it because the block heater was plugged in? Was it because the hood was cracked open?

Sort of defeats the purpose to have to run all the way out to the truck & unplug it and shut the hood... If its just the hood, I didn't see a convenient place to pull the plug through the grill like I've always done.

Edit: Either way, if you have a block heater and its cold, use it...night and day difference on the engine.

I didn't see anything about the block heater being plugged in and causing the remote start not to work...assuming its because of the hood being cracked, which means since it'll be -20 for the next week I need to find a place to pull the block heater cord through to the grille.

EDIT: Thanks, I blew through the manual this morning trying to find the quick answer and missed the part about the hood.

Sunday night I did not plug it in and Monday morning the truck started off the remote start just fine, though with a kick of black smoke... Decided that was a bit hard on her, so I plugged it in last night.

Good idea using the block heater over night, I honestly wish my truck had the block heater for this week here in Chicago. Just while its sitting out at work. Luckily I have it parked in a heated garage at night.

But the black smoke you saw was just due to the direct injection. Most direct injection will do that since they run rich from the factory. You might even notice if you get on it hard enough a nice puff of black smoke will come out of the tailpipe. My last direct injection car did that.

As long as its only a second of black smoke that should be ok. But if its constantly spewing black smoke...yea that's bad.

I ran my block heater plug out by the front tow hooks. I actually had to cut a little plastic by the hook to fit the plug through. Then I zip tied the cord to the hook. Too cold out to go take a picture but it's pretty easy to do.

I don't have my truck yet but have had block heaters on a couple of Duramax trucks. I left one of them outside several months because it wouldn't fit in the garage of a temporary house we lived in while I built the new one. On that truck, the cord wasn't long enough to tie it off in a convenient place. It was easy to make up a short "extension" cord. You should be able to find an inconspicuous place to tie wrap it so you don't have to open the hood every time.

I feel stupid over starting a post with such an easy answer... Sorry.

Anyways, I leased this truck so I'm not going to cut any plastic and with it being about 20F below right now and down near -30F tonight, I'm not going to spend too much time looking for a place to bring it through. Might just have to live with shutting the hood in the morning.

Good idea using the block heater over night, I honestly wish my truck had the block heater for this week here in Chicago. Just while its sitting out at work. Luckily I have it parked in a heated garage at night.

But the black smoke you saw was just due to the direct injection. Most direct injection will do that since they run rich from the factory. You might even notice if you get on it hard enough a nice puff of black smoke will come out of the tailpipe. My last direct injection car did that.

We have a two CAR garage...my wife's car gets all kinds of space, my truck gets cold in the winter and sap pissed on it from the oak tree in the summer. The black smoke I've only seen a couple times now, only when it's been down below -15F or so...

Archived