Dead battery & now truck runs funny

I have an '04 1500 Silverado with the 5.3. The other day my battery died my friend left the lights on. We charged the battery turned on the truck. It started right up but then would idle under 500 rpms. It would either die or act like its dying over and over again.

I then put into drive and you hit the gas and the rpms would go up and make noises like it was moving but wasn't moving, just yet that is, it was like a delayed reaction. Then while driving if you came to a stop it would start acting like its dying again. I never felt it shift or saw the rpms move like they do when it shifts which made me nervous because my tranny temp was running around 200 degrees. I have never seen it that high before even when I was pulling a trailer.

Does anyone know any reason why my truck would be doing this? I've had dead batteries before/swapped out a battery and it would do the dying act for like a day or until I took a long road trip and it got properly charged. I've never had it act this way or still acting up this long.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a tune on your truck?

I had a Blackbear tune done on my truck maybe 3 years back. Before the tune if I replaced the battery, the truck acted just as it did before I disconnected the battery. after the tune, anytime the battery gets disconnected, it acts just as teh OP describes, minus the truck not moving after shifting. It doesn't idle correctly, will die at stoplights, etc. After a couple starts and some idle time, the truck seems to re-learn what it needs to be at. When I got the tune I was told this is normal as the truck is learning how much air and fuel it needs to properly idle as settings had been changed by the tune.

Last night I disconnected the battery and put it on the charger, then after about 1.5 hours rehooked it back up everything was working as it should. Then I went to auto parts store cleared the codes that were thrown. It drove perfectly fine back home. This morning I start it and back to where it was. When in Drive it is either staying in 2nd or 3rd gear the entire time "which is why the slow take off from a dead start and the never shifting while driving".

Would that be all apart of a bad battery, bad alternator or both? Or could it be something worse

No there is no Tuner on the truck, there was before I bought it several years ago which it did like you said would act weird dying at stoplights, not idling correctly etc. I took the tuner off about 3 months into ownership.

What does your voltage meter show on your dash? While running it should be close to 14v. I can't remember what the number is square in the middle, but mine is always just to the right of that. if it is only at 13v or less than you should have your alternator checked. Not sure why it would affect your shifting though.

It could also be relearning your driving habits

+1 on this, when power is disrupted (i.e. replace or dead battery), the ECM goes through a relearn cycle that can take up to ten driving cycles.

+1 on this, when power is disrupted (i.e. replace or dead battery), the
ECM goes through a relearn cycle that can take up to ten driving cycles.

Well if thats the case how come last night when I had it disconnected for awhile before reconnecting it, it ran perfect just like normal. Now this morning after my commute to work its back to where it was? or is that apart of the "relearn cycle"?

+1 on this, when power is disrupted (i.e. replace or dead battery), the

ECM goes through a relearn cycle that can take up to ten driving cycles.

Well if thats the case how come last night when I had it disconnected for awhile before reconnecting it, it ran perfect just like normal. Now this morning after my commute to work its back to where it was? or is that apart of the "relearn cycle"?

Everytime I have had to disconnect my battery for a mod I go through the same thing. It sucks but that is how most new vehicle are built. My 2008 mazda 3 was mainly driven by my wife, so when I hoped in it would do all kinds of crazy stuff like erratic shifts and jumpy take off until it made its adjustment. My 2005 denali started running funny with odd down shifts and what seemed to be a flare up. When the transshop looked at it was in perfect condition so we forced a relearn and it drove normal. They have a small set of paramaters to allow it self to self tune specificlly to your driving habits. if you don't have an engine check light just give it some time.

Archived