2014 6.2 exhuast power loss

Well I am still searching for a replacement. I have been watching all these videos to hear the sounds. So far I like the Borla ATAK, Corsa Extreme, Corsa Sport, and the Super44 I have now. I want a loud aggressive tone. I don't care about drone or whatever and I don't want cherry bomb and I don't want glasspacks. But those guys don't have any exhausts developed yet for the new 6.2. So I may have to get a Borla XR-1. Or see if Corsa will sell me a muffler. Hmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I had my local muffler shop put a magnaflow 14" on in place of the flowmaster... That did the trick. The engine woke back up big time. Throttle response is lighter, man the flowmaster felt like it was dragging on the truck Im sorry to say. I smashed on it from a light and i noticed a huge difference. Anyways, I called borla they might consider using my truck to develop the ATAK system for the 6.2 but they havent called me back yet. As far as the magnaflow, its not as loud as the super44 at all. Soooo, if borla doesnt use my truck for development, I am getting the XR-1 sportsman 3.5" in/out 12" case. So the message here is if you have a 2014 truck DO NOT get a flowmaster. Sorry to those guys but they need a straight through for these new trucks.

Not enough back pressure. Anytime you change pipe size it also changes your horsepower and torque range. 4" is too big. 6.2l really only need 2.5-3" exhaust. There is not enough horsepower and torque until you get over 800hp power range. For that size exhaust. Your losing your power over 3" exhaust

BINGO!!!, I 100% agree with this analogy.

UPDATE: I had my local muffler shop put a magnaflow 14" on in place of the flowmaster... That did the trick. The engine woke back up big time. Throttle response is lighter, man the flowmaster felt like it was dragging on the truck Im sorry to say. I smashed on it from a light and i noticed a huge difference. Anyways, I called borla they might consider using my truck to develop the ATAK system for the 6.2 but they havent called me back yet. As far as the magnaflow, its not as loud as the super44 at all. Soooo, if borla doesnt use my truck for development, I am getting the XR-1 sportsman 3.5" in/out 12" case. So the message here is if you have a 2014 truck DO NOT get a flowmaster. Sorry to those guys but they need a straight through for these new trucks.

My 1st reply to this would have been to try a different muffler and/or there could have been some narrowed bends if the muffler shop didn't have a mandrel bender. So there is another flowdisaster experience. Flowmaster will increase your sound but thats about it. Never liked them based on experience. I worked at a performance shop for years and can't tell how many people we up sold to Magnaflow, Hooker Aerochambers, Borla, or Corsa with improvements of the FM every single time. The 1st two I listed were the most popular we sold but all those choices always increased power on anything we installed them on. Glad to hear you have it resolved!

I can promise you it had nothing to do with back-pressure topic per say but more so that Flowmaster is a very restrictive design muffler and now you are running a straight thru muffler with less resistance. So you could say it was a back pressure issue, as in too much back pressure versus the more free flow thru design the factory muffler uses.

I personally can attest to the HP that Flowmaster can rob from a vehicle. I had a 2001 Formula that was pretty stout for what it was back in the 2004-2005 era. On some advice of my local tuning shop they suggested I change out the Flowmaster cross flow muffler for a Magnaflow muffler. We dyno'd the car before and after the change. Car only had a SLP Y pipe and a welded in muffler. Cut the Flowmaster out, welded in the Magnaflow in it's place. Spun up the rollers and was rewarded with a 8rwhp increase.

Flowmaster may sound better, but Magnaflow sounds smoother, flows better and you wont have issues with the baffles breaking loose down the road once the condensation rusts the baffles apart.

Exactly! The F-body cars were the worst with Flowmaster because of the crossflow design! We saw cars pickup 10-30rwhp depending on the engine mods and usually a couple mph at the track so it wasn't just a dyno number. Spintechs are another joke. Sound is awesome but horrible on power! I picked up 10rwhp going from a Spintech muffler to Hooker Aerchamber on my 91 Camaro. And this was on a 3.5" mandrel bent exhaust system.

Archived