RetraxPRO install on my 2014 Sierra 6.5' Standard Bed

After much research, I decided to go with the RetraxPRO cover for my new Sierra and I wanted to share the install process with you all so you will know what to expect if you do one yourself and save a couple bucks in labor for the install. $120 in my case. Sorry for the crappy cell phone quality pics.

Here are the boxes that it was shipped in. It was packaged very well IMO, and the larger box is somewhere around 90lbs.

15254263096_0972a89147_b.jpg

The hardware looks quality:

15276880262_43c2cdac75_b.jpg

Here is a side view of the canister:

15254269556_79bd89e254_b.jpg

I had to move the front cargo tie-downs from the front position to the middle position as shown here, because the canister was about an inch wider than the distance between the tie-down loops. Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be much use if I left them there beside the canister:

15090716577_3b4f39bbd7_b.jpg

Here is a picture of what I did for the drain tubes instead of drilling through the liner:

15274152411_0c9261e475_b.jpg

It took about 15 minutes of adjusting of the plastic set screws to get the rails flush, level, and square, but I'm glad I took the extra time to make it perfect. Total install time, including the 25-30 minutes to figure out how to remove the cargo tie-downs, was about 2 hours.

Here are some pics of the final product and a video of my son jumping up and down on the cover:

15090720467_fea0c0a92f_b.jpg

15090527139_9bb686d423_b.jpg

15090725067_4412ec7baa_b.jpg

15090706297_e67d3ed283_b.jpg

15274137961_01d4d208fb_b.jpg

15090685608_62b0bf8986_b.jpg

RetraxPRO durability test:

I got mine for $1,511 shipped & sold from Amazon, plus I got $45 back on my Amazon card. It can be open and locked in any position. Thre are no springs, but it doesn't need any because the aluminum slats roll on sealed roller bearings. It's a very sturdy cover, and the manufacturer rates it to hold an evenly distributed load of 500lbs.

I had the same concerns. I was on the verge of going to the hardware store to see if I could find some thin sheets of rubber to put in between the clamps on the bed side, but ended up just going on with out it. I figured that part of the bed on the inside wall of the bed rail will never get direct moisture aside from condensation, especially considering the cover itself will keep it sheilded from teh weather. Besides, I can always just keep an eye on it and put some touch up paint or silicone to keep it rust free if that becomes and issue.

I had the same concerns. I was on the verge of going to the hardware store to see if I could find some thin sheets of rubber to put in between the clamps on the bed side, but ended up just going on with out it. I figured that part of the bed on the inside wall of the bed rail will never get direct moisture aside from condensation, especially considering the cover itself will keep it sheilded from teh weather. Besides, I can always just keep an eye on it and put some touch up paint or silicone to keep it rust free if that becomes and issue.

The RetraxPro will not rust. See below:

Frequently Asked Question: RetraxPro

1. How Does The RetraxPRO Work?

The patented RetraxPRO truck bed cover is constructed of heavy duty aluminum slats, which are connected by durable, yet flexible hinges. The low-profile design incorporates a front cover that is flush with the rolling cover which streamlines the overall appearance and provides a firm, dependable seal to help keep the bed dry. Simply press the button latch to open the RetraxPRO and you will immediately be impressed at the way it smoothly glides back and forth with just one hand. Sealed ball-bearing rollers mounted onto the ends of the aluminum slats allow the cover to retract or close effortlessly without the use of springs or any kind of mechanism; no moving parts to jam, freeze or fail. The compact storage canister contains a unique spiral track system that prevents the cover from rubbing on itself as it retracts and closes, eliminating wear and tear on the cover.

2. What Are The Connecting Hinges Constructed Of?

The hinges that connect the RetraxPRO aluminum slats are custom extruded thermoplastic elastomer. This material is designed to last the life of the cover, ensure smooth operation and provide a dependable seal.

3. How Does The RetraxPRO Lock?

The RetraxPRO can be latched or key-locked in any position along the bed rail. The secure Dual Latch Locking System latches to both RetraxPRO rails for added security, offering protection that no soft cover can. When you need access to your pickup bed simply release the flush-mounted latch with the touch of a button – no key required – and the cover glides out of your way with the just one hand. The cover can be locked open in any position along the rail to allow unlimited hauling flexibility and convenient use with a fifth-wheel trailer.

4. How Is The RetraxPRO Installed?

Installation of the RetraxPRO is simple. The cover utilizes a clamp-on design that can be installed by anyone with basic hand tools. Installation requires a 9/16” wrench and a Phillips screwdriver. All parts are rubber mounted to prevent paint damage and each part is an exact match to your pickup. Installation time is about 1 hour and the cover can be easily removed if needed. No two trucks are exactly alike; our mounting system is adjustable for a perfect, no hassle fit every time.

5. Will The RetraxPRO Keep My Pickup Bed Dry?

Automotive grade weather-stripping, designed for harsh outdoor use, seals the RetraxPRO on all sides to help keep water, snow, ice and dust out of your pickup bed. The cover also seals nicely over the top of the tailgate. The automotive grade weather-strip incorporates a soft felt lining that allows for smooth sliding operation, even in the most extreme weather conditions.

6. Is The RetraxPRO Compatible With Other Aftermarket Accessories?

The RetraxPRO is compatible with most accessories such as bed liners and bed rails. Some may require minor modification to the RetraxPRO or the accessory.

I'm not talking about the RetraxPRO rusting... the truck bed itself where the toothy clamps grab on to the truck.

The RetraxPro will not rust. See below:

Frequently Asked Question: RetraxPro

1. How Does The RetraxPRO Work?
The patented RetraxPRO truck bed cover is constructed of heavy duty aluminum slats, which are connected by durable, yet flexible hinges. The low-profile design incorporates a front cover that is flush with the rolling cover which streamlines the overall appearance and provides a firm, dependable seal to help keep the bed dry. Simply press the button latch to open the RetraxPRO and you will immediately be impressed at the way it smoothly glides back and forth with just one hand. Sealed ball-bearing rollers mounted onto the ends of the aluminum slats allow the cover to retract or close effortlessly without the use of springs or any kind of mechanism; no moving parts to jam, freeze or fail. The compact storage canister contains a unique spiral track system that prevents the cover from rubbing on itself as it retracts and closes, eliminating wear and tear on the cover.

2. What Are The Connecting Hinges Constructed Of?
The hinges that connect the RetraxPRO aluminum slats are custom extruded thermoplastic elastomer. This material is designed to last the life of the cover, ensure smooth operation and provide a dependable seal.

3. How Does The RetraxPRO Lock?
The RetraxPRO can be latched or key-locked in any position along the bed rail. The secure Dual Latch Locking System latches to both RetraxPRO rails for added security, offering protection that no soft cover can. When you need access to your pickup bed simply release the flush-mounted latch with the touch of a button – no key required – and the cover glides out of your way with the just one hand. The cover can be locked open in any position along the rail to allow unlimited hauling flexibility and convenient use with a fifth-wheel trailer.

4. How Is The RetraxPRO Installed?
Installation of the RetraxPRO is simple. The cover utilizes a clamp-on design that can be installed by anyone with basic hand tools. Installation requires a 9/16” wrench and a Phillips screwdriver. All parts are rubber mounted to prevent paint damage and each part is an exact match to your pickup. Installation time is about 1 hour and the cover can be easily removed if needed. No two trucks are exactly alike; our mounting system is adjustable for a perfect, no hassle fit every time.

5. Will The RetraxPRO Keep My Pickup Bed Dry?
Automotive grade weather-stripping, designed for harsh outdoor use, seals the RetraxPRO on all sides to help keep water, snow, ice and dust out of your pickup bed. The cover also seals nicely over the top of the tailgate. The automotive grade weather-strip incorporates a soft felt lining that allows for smooth sliding operation, even in the most extreme weather conditions.

6. Is The RetraxPRO Compatible With Other Aftermarket Accessories?
The RetraxPRO is compatible with most accessories such as bed liners and bed rails. Some may require minor modification to the RetraxPRO or the accessory.

Archived