In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
BFieler10

Mufflers for 87 silverado

Hey yall, found an 87 silverado with a carberureted 350 in it for cheap. Hopefully gonna get it Sunday. Well, it already has duals run, then to 90s right behind the wheels. I would like to end up running them straight back. Now, right now its pretty quiet. I dont want that though. I want to find some mufflers that are fairly loud, but not straight piped loud. My buddy has a 350 with glass packs that sounds amazing. Pretty loud, but still very deep and rumbly I guess. But, he has no idea what packs they are. Do yall have any suggestions as to what I may want?

Just go with the glass packs. I've had them on all 3 of my trucks. Then again sometimes I like to be loud an obnoxious so what so I know.

X9006

Are your buddy's mufflers round,maybe red? Might be Cherry Bombs.

I ran 2.25" true duals with 18" glass packs and long 4" tips on my '87 TBI 350 back in the good ole days. It sounded mean as heck when you got on it and was actually pretty quite when cruising. I'm not sure what brand they were. I just used whatever the local exhaust shop had in stock at the time. I know they weren't cherry bombs or thrush brand, because they weren't red...they were the same silver color as new exhaust pipe.

• Like 2

Yeah that's what I've used is whatever the local shop has, if I remember right they are all pretty much the same anyway why pay more for a name?

My buddies are the same color as the pipe. Its loud, and I love it. Not the obnoxious popping loud like my friends straight piped 351, but a nice loud rumble. Like thunder. But basically any 18 inch long glass pack will sound good on this truck? Im thinking 3.5 or 4 inch tips coming out at 45s behind the wheels, and having the miter cut be flush with the body. I think itll sound pretty nice.

• Like 1

Yep, that sounds like a good plan to me. Makes me miss my old '87, haha.

• Like 2

Don't kill me, but im thinking about straight piping it until I can afford to have the exhaust.completely redone, and add glass packs.

Like dual straights without mufflers....or just a single straight pipe?

It will be pretty obnoxious, and cackle like crazy, but you can do it. My buddy had an '85 or '86 with a tired old 305 in it...and he ran dual straights with no mufflers. That thing made a whole lot of noise for no faster than it would go. It sounded mean as heck, but was such a turd that it would shift out of overdrive if you turned on the a/c while you were driving on the highway, haha.

• Like 1

I think I ran 2.5s with glass packs on my 73 with the 350. Sounded great to me. I really need to start fixing that poor thing up again.

Cherry Bombs are the best sound on those pickups IMO. Had them on my 1990 and they were smooth.