Canoe/Kayak transport

Anyone recommend the best system for transporting canoes or fishing kayaks?

Will be going on '14 CC short bed 4wd.

Any reason to use top of cab version or truck bed rack version?

For those that use the towers that mount to the cab, do they cause damage in any way?

If I was hauling kayaks I would no question get a name brand roof rack like a thule or Yakima. Would be very easy to hop up in the bed and disconnect the kayaks. Also with a roof rack you still get your bed space and can tow a trailer

Here are our kayaks loaded on the Invis-A-Rack.

post-128486-0-47521500-1412636955_thumb.jpg

The rack is a little high on these trucks but it works out well since my kayak will bow downward a few inches when the sun warms up the bottom and it expands vs the top. On my old truck it would flex down enough to hit the roof in the day and flex back up at night.

I can still use the tonneau even with the racks up, and it all folds away when the yaks are off.

Thanks for replies so far.

Tried the Thule rack for the bed, but our truck beds under the rail are designed different now and not much room for clamps, especially with factory bed lights. Really wanted bed rack to work because it seemed easy to remove and wouldn't damage truck. Not wanting anything permanent. Trac Rac may work, going to give it a look.

Cab mounted tower racks don't bother me if they don't damage the top. Looks like the clips on these models actually have to go into the cab under the top of door.

My favorite method is using the fully integrated standard feature on my truck called a pick up bed! Lol!

Don't mind me being a smartass over here!

My truck has an 8 foot bed though so it swallows kayaks and canoes like nobody's business!

My favorite method is using the fully integrated standard feature on my truck called a pick up bed! Lol!

My truck has an 8 foot bed though so it swallows kayaks and canoes like nobody's business!

I use the bed if we're just taking the kayaks close to home. However I can't do that if we're towing the camper.

I'm not too sure what you mean by a bed rack but I'm assuming you mean something like a ladder rack. That's what I use for my truck and it's identical to yours. I just bought one off of Amazon and use C-clamps to hold them in place since I don't want to drill and mount bolts permanently. Do be careful when you're loading a canoe/kayak that's really long and curved. I dinged up and scratched the hell out of my roof and now I'm having to buy paint to cover it up.

I used this when I had my Hobie Pro Angler 14. It worked well and was quick to set up. I down sized and have the Pro Angler 12 now. I'm able to throw that and my wife's Outback in the bed with no issue. I have the Crew Cab with the 5' 8" bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Lund-601021-Hitch-Truck-Extender/dp/B001P2HWC6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412813210&sr=8-4&keywords=bed+extender

I have the 6'5" bed, I just put the canoe or kayak in the back, use ratcheting tie down straps as well. Remember to put some sort of red flag off the back of the boat.

I put the bow of the boat in the drivers side corner, use the straps to pull it toward drivers side to keep it out of next lane over, (and use straps on other side to lock in place)

Cheap and easy.

Believe I will go with the style that mounts on top of cab for a few different reasons.

I'd prefer the ladder rack version for the bed, but we occasionally haul longer canoes as well. When mounted upside down, the front of a canoe will rest on or very close to the top of the cab due to the taller nose verses a kayak.

I do haul them a short distance with the tailgate down and just strapped in the bed. A lot of our trips are a few hours away and most trucks I've seen that have been driven with the tailgate down end up with several chips due to rocks and such coming from the highways. My old truck- no big deal. My new truck- kinda of a big deal.

Plus I need the bed space for all the camping gear, dog box, and other stuff.

I used this when I had my Hobie Pro Angler 14. It worked well and was quick to set up. I down sized and have the Pro Angler 12 now. I'm able to throw that and my wife's Outback in the bed with no issue. I have the Crew Cab with the 5' 8" bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Lund-601021-Hitch-Truck-Extender/dp/B001P2HWC6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412813210&sr=8-4&keywords=bed+extender

I've got the Yakima Bars on my cap (http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/gallery/image/7559-imag0736/), but I usually just put the boats in the back so as to not lift them up. If I'm going a short distance, I just toss my 15' boat back there and strap it in with the tailgate down, but if I'm going a longer distance, I'll use an extend-a-truck. The one linked above is just one of many designs out there, I think I paid something like $60 for mine.

Archived