Never Ending Project

Our thermostat switch gave up, no surprise as it was old as hell. Being a computer and electronics nerd I decided to build a thermostat from an arduino with an ethernet shield attached. This way I can access it from the internet. I setup a little web server to log the temperature and furnace state, and to provide a nice user interface. Eventually this will be part of a custom home automation system.

Been holding up for about a month now. There's several changes I need to make to improve stability and adjust the ADC calibration. The temperature reads a little off. All in time.

The current setup has full auto (heat and cool), heat only, cool only, fan only, humidity control and multiple temperature sensor inputs.

058t.jpg 059t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I may be crazy.

A few pluses with building your own cabinets:

You can use quality materials in this case birch and poplar (for painting).

We get the exact layout and style we want.

And there is some money to pocket compared to buying finished cabinets.

Anyway, everything is joined together with a tongue/groove, rabbit or dado joint. Glued and nailed together. Designed the cabinets for inset doors.

060t.jpg 061t.jpg

062t.jpg 063t.jpg

I built a little jig to make some curved sides for a few of the cabinet sides. This one will be above the stove, and have a hood mounted to it.

064t.jpg 065t.jpg

066t.jpg 067t.jpg

The lower cabinets we wanted to appear to be furniture, so I used the same jig with a different template to build some legs.

068t.jpg 069t.jpg 070t.jpg

The sink will stay diagonal but change to a single basin. And we are adding a trash drawer as well.

071t.jpg 072t.jpg 073t.jpg

We added some additional counter space with a large chest of drawers inplace of the ironing board.

074t.jpg 075t.jpg

076t.jpg 077t.jpg

And some end cabinets next to the stove and fridge as well.

085t.jpg 086t.jpg 087t.jpg

Built a little archway and open shelving above the block window between the two upper cabinets. I think a little wine glass rack would look neat, but that can be added later.

078t.jpg 079t.jpg 080t.jpg

Built a little soffit above the sink and added a few lights.

082t.jpg 083t.jpg 084t.jpg

Finished up the upper cabinet trim and added some LED lights. May add some lighting inside the cabinets later.

088t.jpg 089t.jpg 090t.jpg

Textured the ceiling this last weekend, no pics yet.

Counter tops will be in this week and then hoping to get some paint on. Maybe we will be close enough for Christmas dinner at home!

Very very nice work. You leaving the glass block window?

Thanks.

Yep, block stays. Looks interesting we think. We thought a slider of sorts would be neat for grilling on the patio but that will be a future mod.

Awesome work. Got to ask? Are you retired? Even if I had those type of skills, I'd never have the time! Once again, Awesome Job!!

37 years till retirement. I try my very best to not allow work to cumber my ambitions.

This past week the counter tops were installed. We also textured and prepped the ceilings. Getting some odds and ends finished so we can prime the cabinets and ceilings this Sunday.

I was a little concerned with having dark tops, but they look awesome. Went with Quartz for durability. And we were adamant to find an installer who would measure with a laser templator and cut the slab on a water-jet, a couple companies here still work by hand. I know some are capable of doing a nice job by hand, but eliminating the human error helps me maintain 6Σ.

091t.jpg 092t.jpg 093t.jpg

094t.jpg 095t.jpg 096t.jpg

Owning a house is a never ending revolving door of projects, repairs and updates.... Unless you buy brand new but even then there is always something to do and improve.... Many relatives and friends start shopping for a house. I sit down with them and ask them realistically, what is your payment expectation. Almost all want the 300k house with 4 bedroom and 3 bath and 2 car garage. Because they can afford 2k a month for the mortgage. Then I ask them, how will you heat it? what happens when XYZ breaks, what happens when your furnace dies at 3am and you have to pay someone to come fix it before your pipes freeze. You going to shovel or pay a plow man, what happens when someone is injured and out of work?

Most friends steer clear of buying that 300k house and come back down to reality with the 150k house... and even then i help them do up a budget and things still look tight.
Other rules I use:

Whatever project your planning, estimate all your materials and time, double all of it and add 20% to your final cost, something will happen and you'll need the money
Dont expect any help from friends, plan on doing it yourself alone or hiring out, something always comes up

Just because your house is new doesnt mean stuff cant go wrong, be prepared

Buy extended warranties on your appliances... Mine always seem to break a week before xmas or major holiday ( brand new fridge day after thanks giving, washer 2 weeks before xmas last year )

Dont go with the lowest bidder, if you cant afford it dont bother until you can do it right, it will cost you way more in the long run.

Dont finance every project on your lowes card or take out that 2nd mortgage to put a pool in.... you will shoot yourself in the foot.

Then after telling them all of that, if they are game and have planned and none of that scares them they start shopping.

Last word of advice I give them "Dont ever try and keep up with the Jonses. Make your life perfect for you and your family, you will truly be happy with yourself and you wont be broke and in debt up to your eye balls"

• 3 weeks later...

Been a busy Christmas and new year. Put a coat of Urethane on the insides of the cabinets, thought that would be the most durable coating. Primed everything and started painting the trim and cabinets. We painted underneath the cabinets a dark gray to mask the structure and blend with the floors. Couple coats of paint on the walls and its nearly done.

We still have cabinet doors and drawers to build. Need to put up the back splash once it warms up enough to use the tile saw. Some touch ups here and there. Base shoe and transitions for the wood floors still need to be put down as well.

097t.jpg 098t.jpg 099t.jpg

100t.jpg 101t.jpg 102t.jpg

103t.jpg 104t.jpg 105t.jpg

106t.jpg 107t.jpg 108t.jpg

109t.jpg 110t.jpg

Archived