2015 gmc seirra/Chevy silverado 2500 gas

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if it's not "showing off" as you say? What if they just like the truck as is? A fun fact for you: your new truck would end up costing you a bunch more money if it weren't for those "posers" you're referring to. The more people that buy them, the more GM (Ford, Chrysler) can make, and the less they can charge for them.

Ultimately, the best thing you can do is not worry what others are buying and driving, nor why they're doing so.

Not speaking of the world, just the people I know. Of my friends that are truck owners, only one other owns a gas and only one tows more than they he doesn't. Get a kick out of the ones that never tow yet complain about money being tight.

I'd recommend not holding your breath on that, nor attempting to spread rumors. There's not likely to ever be another 7L small block Chevy engine. And GM stopped doing big block motors several years ago.

GM currently makes a 7.0...

7.0 is not a big block, its a LS motor...

There will be something in the works, wonder if we will see something on the '16 models?

Crf450r420, on 27 Dec 2014 - 4:27 PM, said:Crf450r420, on 27 Dec 2014 - 4:27 PM, said:Crf450r420, on 27 Dec 2014 - 4:27 PM, said:Crf450r420, on 27 Dec 2014 - 4:27 PM, said:

Why in the world they still put the 6.0 and not the new 5.3 that makes the same torque at 100 rpm lower is beyond me. Then you would see more MPG, but not world changing amount. My guess in 2016 they will have a direct injection motor standard. You are right about most diesel owners not even towing anything, it's silly.

Basically because the 6.0 is built for heavy duty use. The 6.0 is a durable, reliable, cast iron block engine made to run for 200,000+ miles without breaking a sweat.

It is heavy duty in every way and as stout a gasoline engine as you could want for trailering and heavy duty use.

The 5.3 is a fine mill, no doubt but the HD 6.0 is built to withstand abuse, high mileage and long hours of operation each day. That 6.0 is bulletproof.

True, it's not direct injected and will not get the mileage the 5.3 gets. It does not have AFM but I think that's a plus even though it uses more fuel.

Those 4.10 gears with locking differential are tough as well. It pulls hard.

GM currently makes a 7.0...

7.0 is not a big block, its a LS motor...

I'm well aware of the LS7, having had 2 of them in various Z06s over the years. It's a dead duck. Meeting emissions with it is going to become more and more difficult over the next year or two, so don't be too surprised to see it sunset. Once it runs its course in the current Z/28, it'll be done.

GM didn't put the 7L LS7 into any of their trucks during its run as the C6 Z06 engine. They're not going to build another 7L LT-style engine and put it in their newer trucks.

There will be something in the works

It'll be based off the 6.2L LT engine that's currently in the 1/2 tons. Count on it.

I'm well aware of the LS7, having had 2 of them in various Z06s over the years. It's a dead duck. Meeting emissions with it is going to become more and more difficult over the next year or two, so don't be too surprised to see it sunset. Once it runs its course in the current Z/28, it'll be done.

GM didn't put the 7L LS7 into any of their trucks during its run as the C6 Z06 engine. They're not going to build another 7L LT-style engine and put it in their newer trucks.

It'll be based off the 6.2L LT engine that's currently in the 1/2 tons. Count on it.

Possible 16'?

Possible 16'?

Your best bet it to buy when you're ready to buy as opposed to holding your breath and waiting for the "next best thing". There's always going to be something better around the corner, and if you keep waiting, you'll never buy anything.

I build the aluminum motors for a more abusive use than towing with no trouble. They ride around hours on end at 3 to 4 thousand RPMs as a cruse and higher for more speed, if they go up go any direction. In fact there are some great things about the aluminum over steal. First they weight about 100 pounds less. It will dissipate heat better. It will grow when it gets hot, so if you overheat an iron to the point it destroyed, the aluminum will still be okay because of the thermal expansion. We have had customers come to use after they lost a radiator or belt and didn't notice it. They melt every sensor on the motor, the intake, and the heads. You should see the head bolt holes, they are no longer round. If the block will take the torque of a new set of heads they can run the motor for a while longer. If it was Iron the motor would be complete junk. AFM won't do much good on a tow vehicle except in city from time to time. I have it on mine and it will not come into play above 65 without things helping like wind to my back. It certainly doesn't help much when I'm pulling 5K pounds. It will come on at low speeds once you are going, but it also doesn't have the same increase in instant MPGs.

I'm not 100%, but I don't think the LS7 or other LS are going away for emissions, I think it's the MPG requirements making the change happen. They have to have their fleet meet an overall MPG by a certain date. I could be wrong and it could be both.

With the newer 5.3 at 355HP 380 Torque, & I thought for sure the 6.0 would HAVE to be bumped up by GM (maybe in 2015 or 2016) but nothing yet ...

If GM gets real cocky they will offer the HD25 trucks with the optional 6.2 gas for an added $2500 ! ... (nothing would suprise me at this point)

My 6.0 does it's job fine / runs A+ (Is GM saying - "If it's not broke, don't fix it" ?) Actually not a bad way to run a company to some extent .... Reliability 1st !

If the 5.3 6.0 or 6.6, and now 6.2 were to be a lemon design, it would cost GM $ millions and future lost sales - so they are careful with changes

My gut feeling is the 6.0 is designed as a tougher and longer lasting than the 5.3 (and maybe the 6.2) ... Is it just my bias ?

All the internals are the same. You can put the crank for the 5.3 into the 6.0 or the 6.2 as they are all 3.62" throw. The block is a bit stronger from the metal, but it's way heavier because it the same as the aluminum, but with stronger metal. We have made over 1000HP with the stock aluminum blocks so they are plenty strong.

The 6.2 upgrade I did for my truck was $1995, so since they would be also changing from an old motor to a new one I think your $2500 would be a good guess at the price and it certainly would be a good upgrade with 420HP and 460TQ. I put 355HP and 399TQ to the wheels with my stock truck. I'm averaging 16MPG for the first 12,000 miles, but I do have a 3.42 rear and only rated for 9600 pounds. I'll likely upgrade to 3.73 ratio later and add bags to get the 12,000 towing and more responsiveness. I expect to loose 1 or maybe 2 MPG.

GM did 50 years with the old motor and you will never see that ever again or they will get left behind. I don't think they should do every 5 years like Ford. I have not tuned my truck as I want to keep the warranty because it is a year one motor, but the motors have not really had any big issues yet. The trucks have not been as smooth, but they are super nice and very solid. I really think they will upgrade the motor next year or maybe two. I don't see how they couldn't.

I have a 06 2500 6.0 with right under 200k. And it's been a flawless 200k besides the time my truck run off the hill with

Me and a trailer and I had a choice. Hit my dad in the tractor or go over the bank and total the truck. Needless to say my truck with stood hitting a John Deere bent the ranch hand a lil Tho and truck didnt serve as a pop can in a masher. It's been a good 1 and I hope the next is just as good. I have a bulky dog power thing on it. Not anything to notice power wise tho. Here is a pic if the ol girl. She's been a work horse and held up to every test it's ever been in

post-131265-141979725671_thumb.jpg

Mechanical

5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine
$0
6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine
$2,495

Price Went Up (was $1995)

vs $4100 +- to move up to a simular equipped 2500 HD ....

Build & Price: http://www.gmc.com/sierra-1500-pickup-truck.html

I bet that is because now the 6.2L upgrade also includes an 8 speed transmission where I only got the same 6 speed. I'm still waiting to drive on with the 8 speed. Hoping it selects gears and stays with them. Then I might trade in my 14 for a 15.

Archived