Silverado vs Colorado

I actually need a full size truck, I tow well over what a colorado can do. More guys than not dont actually need a full size truck, they just want it, which is fine. But looking at pricing before any discounts rebates etc. You can walk with a an LTZ crew cab colorado 4x4 for 35k. If i didnt need the full size that price looks pretty appealing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reasons to get a full size truck:
Price compared to Colorado is negligible for basic configurations.
More space, ability to tow if need be... maybe ground clearence?
Cheaper to fix ( more readily available parts, in future more junk yards/used parts )

Reasons to get Coloardo:
Smaller size easier to park and commute
SLIGHTLY better fuel economy.
Looks? Not sure what else really.

This was the justification I used when truck shopping.
Why pay 20k for a used coloardo with 80k miles when you can pay 23k for a full size with 80k miles
Just my 2 cents

I have a 4.3l Silverado and tow 2500lbs, which it does easily enough. (towing 2500lbs is well within the 6700lb SAE rated tow rating)

Disagree with the "no well optioned 4.3s" comment, mine has All Star pack, tonneau, bedliner, step tubes and is a LT Z71 model. (not exactly the vinyl floors and metal ceiling model) See a fair amount of these out there because the 4.3 took the place of both the old (terrible) 4.3l and the (OK) 4.8l and offers the power of the 4.8l with a better transmission.

Can't speak for re-sale, but I did a trade in value look up and got -$1700 for the 4.3l engine over the 5.3, so that's about a wash if you trade them.

All that said the 5.3l is the right choice unless you get a really good deal on a 4.3l, because they aren't much more and have a lot more power. You might buy a bigger camper?

Reasons to get a full size truck:

Price compared to Colorado is negligible for basic configurations.

More space, ability to tow if need be... maybe ground clearence?

Cheaper to fix ( more readily available parts, in future more junk yards/used parts )

Reasons to get Coloardo:

Smaller size easier to park and commute

SLIGHTLY better fuel economy.

Looks? Not sure what else really.

This was the justification I used when truck shopping.

Why pay 20k for a used coloardo with 80k miles when you can pay 23k for a full size with 80k miles

Just my 2 cents

I agree with most of what you said. But I just played around with configuration, and just about anyway to build your talking around 10k cheaper for the colorado, which really isnt neglible. But your used justifcation I would totally agree... But I think we are talking new here.

My suggestion would be to do a "full-day-test-drive" of both vehicles. Let your dealer know your serious about purchasing one of them, but you want to make a well-researched decision.

Lots of good reasons for both vehicles.

I like both. Actually thinking about buying a '16 or '17 Colorado ZR2 and trading in her '13 Equinox. Waiting to see if I can get it in a crew cab. I love the idea of a Colorado with a Duramax with tons of torque!

(I'm still keeping my Silvy!) :thumbs:

I've driven both on long trips, run errands, and put my shorty in the back.

Colorado - crew cab, V6, long box, leather.

Sierra - ext cab, 5.3, 3.08 std box, leather

These are just my opinions.

First off, I do not need a full size truck. I owned multiple S10/sonoma many years back.

Seats:

Colorado - Crew cab is only version with a decent seat for the kids.

Sierra - has wider seats, and similar legroom in rear when driver seat is set. Front seat is better.

Economy:

Colorado - Get 23+Mpg with cruise at 70-72. 19 mixed driving, yet only had a few days.

Sierra - 20Mpg HW at same speeds. 12-18 mixed depending upon how often and how long you sit at lights. AFM easy to get in city. Remote start chews up tidy numbers. Current best 25mi average = 23.6 Mpg

Power:

Colorado - Did better than I thought it would with a load from landscaper. Enough for my needs. I don't pull trailer/boat.

Sierra - Plenty power rarely put my foot into it.

Looks:

Colorado - Really like to looks.

Sierra - Too much chrome. Beefy front.

Price:

Colorado - STUPID!! add a few options and you are at $40K. No deals yet.

Sierra - Got a deal on a $45K stickered truck demo + current discounts; $30K. Even with out the extra discount for a demo, the discounts put the full size at upper $30's. That's lots of gas to make up the price difference at ~4mpg less than Colorado.

Size:

Colorado - Just fit in my garage, but won't fit 2 dirt bikes side by side unless you flip one and let them get too close to rub.

Sierra - Won't fit in my garage, luxo-lounger for family trips. 2 bikes fit side by side.

If you plan on keeping this truck until the tires fall off (which I do); then get the Full crew 1500. Your kids will thank you! Even the Double Cab is too small for 2 full size humans for any distance. You can pic up a 2014 for 10-12 of sticker all over the place. No rebates on the little guy. If things change later on down the road, like getting a bigger trailer for all that traveling and kids getting bigger; you will need the bigger truck. Also think about a wreck. Which truck would you rather go head on in?

I really like the look of the Colorado! If you dont need a full size dont get one. Ill tell you i thought i didnt need a full size in 05 when i bought a Ranger new... Boy did i wish i bought a full size right away.

If the street price was really about 10k less for a comparably equipped truck I'd test out a Canyon, just prefer GMC's extra touches, but, from what I see the incentives are so much better on the fullsize trucks the true price difference is only a few 1000. I prefer the wider stance of a F/S truck, the only reason I'd go midsize is cost savings or fuel economy.

I appreciate all the answers. Opinions vary and I told my wife that's why they build both of these trucks and why they make extended cabs, crew cabs, short boxes, long boxes, 1500s, 2500s, and so on. To answer a few questions that were posed, my oldest kid is in middle school so isn't big yet but it's not far away. I kept my last pickup as my daily driver for 15 years so I plan to keep this a long time (kids probably out of college). I have no idea how big my boys will get but I'm 6 ft and my wife's family is taller than me so I assume they will be 6 ft or maybe slightly taller.

I do mostly city driving and my commute is short. We do a relatively small number of highway trips each year....about a half-dozen 300 mile trips and maybe one or two 1000-3000 mile trips every year or two. I don't rack up a ton of miles.

Just thought I would solicit some opinions. I'm a bad "decider" and both trucks offer some nice advantages so I will probably labor over this....especially because I feel the weight of wanting to make the right choice given that I will probably keep this for many years.

BT

When they get tall, and presumable start driving, what other vehicles will you need?

Maybe by that time you get a different vehicle for you, and for hauling the crew, and they can drive the vehicle has has been 'outgrown' for the family hauling job.

Archived