JshLnsctt

Upgrade from 4" to 8" Screen

Good Afternoon All,

I have seen a few topics on this, but no one that was actually able to get the parts and play around a little bit. My new truck has the 4.2" screen and I am playing with the idea of upgrading to the 8" touchscreen. I already have the touchscreen and a full NAV HMI unit for my truck along with the NAV antenna. I have had my dash apart a little bit carefully to scope it out, and the screen connectors are the same, but as far as installing the HMI to make the touchscreen portion work I am unsure as it does not appear that my truck currently even has an HMI module. I have attached pictures of the parts that I have for testing, all brand new. Any possible pictures of a 8" setup behind the scenes or suggestions/advice would be great, thanks!

post-139825-0-92219700-1424134888_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Also, I do not currently have a CD player, for those of you with a CD player, where does this cable connect to, the tuner somewhere? Thanks!

Since purchasing this setup and taking apart my dash/reviewing the forums, I have learned that I cannot easily use this kit as I have the I03 option code which does not have a factory HMI module to swap out. If your 4.2" screen was the I04 option code with my link Nd the HMI box behind the glovebox, this is what you need and plug and play.

Edited by JshLnsctt

Sorry to hear that dude. Yea, I have IO4 with the small screen and have been looking at doing this for a while now.

I would love to do a writeup on how to do this as I know its gonna keep coming back as a topic. (nobody wants that crappy 4" screen.)

I think the best thing for you to do is go with an aftermarket kit and a double din hu. There's lots of great units out there.

Thanks for the info so far!

Good Afternoon All,

I have seen a few topics on this, but no one that was actually able to get the parts and play around a little bit. My new truck has the 4.2" screen and I am playing with the idea of upgrading to the 8" touchscreen. I already have the touchscreen and a full NAV HMI unit for my truck along with the NAV antenna. I have had my dash apart a little bit carefully to scope it out, and the screen connectors are the same, but as far as installing the HMI to make the touchscreen portion work I am unsure as it does not appear that my truck currently even has an HMI module. I have attached pictures of the parts that I have for testing, all brand new. Any possible pictures of a 8" setup behind the scenes or suggestions/advice would be great, thanks!

hmi module is located under the glove box if it has a my link it should have hmi. i did the install in my truck today

I would assume I have it then. When I got to Bluetooth on my phone it is called Chevrolet MyLink. So I should just be able to plug this right up if I like. awesome!

my Silverado 2014 lt have 4.2 screen with back up camera from factory cant I replace the 4.2 with the 8 inches screen and is this installation be plug and play thanks for any info

my Silverado 2014 lt have 4.2 screen with back up camera from factory cant I replace the 4.2 with the 8 inches screen and is this installation be plug and play thanks for any info

Check in your glovebox and confirm rather you have option I03 or I04 on the sticker

Check in your glovebox and confirm rather you have option I03 or I04 on the sticker

Oh I see I never knew there was a sticker in there. It does say I04 on it. So this means I can plug the 8" screen right up correct? and a back up camera? thanks

yes my truck have the code i04 on the glove compartment sticker cant I replace the screen

yes my truck have the code i04 on the glove compartment sticker cant I replace the screen

You can't replace only the screen, you would also have to locate a new HMI module and change that out