Fuel MPG in the 6.0 engine?

They don't publish numbers, but the general consensus among users seems to be in the 11-13 mpg average area for all miles, city and highway. My 2015 2500HD 6.0L is in the 13 mpg category. That is rural gravel roads, rural two lane highways, a little bit of in town, and a little bit of interstate highway. Lot of wind and cold weather since I got it along with winter fuel. I am optimistic that when things warm up and we get on summer fuel, the numbers will come up a little. Oh.... and I have only filled with E15 gas since I bought it new. The best value for me in my area for the last few months. And how one drives the setup can have a dramatic effect on what one gets for mpg.

Edited by Cowpie

seems like a drop in MPG compared to 6.2 1500 series!

With increases in capability and weight usually comes lower MPGs. You have to weigh the increased capability and size versus the mpg hit of the 2500HD. With that being said, if you tow frequently or tow heavy, the 3/4 ton is the way to go!

• Like 3

3500HD DRW 10-12mpg with a pretty laid back driving style. That's 60/40 highway to city, 65mph tops but no consistent highway speeds due to traffic. Drove to El Paso to pick up a trailer and averaged 15mpg on the way out and 8 on the way back with a 10k trailer.

Edited by pcf

If yoy're comparing to a 1500 6.2, my lifetime avg is 15.6mpg. As good as 20 on the hwy, and as bad as 13 city. This is burning premium gas. Figure the 10% increase in fuel price and it's cheaper to drive than a 2500 6.0 but not night and day, 15-20% tops I recon. For a guy like me who only drives it 10-15k miles per year it's not all that significant.

Edited by Camstyn

My 2004, V8, 1500, single cab, LWB Silverado only gets 13 MPG at best in town. On the highway it gets around 17 at best. So I guess that I won't be getting ahead in fuel consumption, but probably won't be doing worse once my 2015 gets built and delivered.

My 2015 2500HD 6.0L is averaging 13 for all miles, all of them wintertime numbers. My 2013 1500 5.3L only averaged 14 mpg for all miles over the time I had it from new. Each situation is different and will yield different numbers. But of my situation, losing 1 mpg average to go to a 3/4 ton truck was more than worth it. Considering that all the miles on the 2500 so far are only winter miles, once it gets more miles racked up in warmer weather, the average mpg might be just about 14 like the 1500 I had got for all its miles.

Edited by Cowpie

15 hd regular cab here. Average in summer is 12-14mpg unloaded. Went from Rochester to Buffalo, 55-62mph most of the way (didn't take thruway) netted about 14.8mpg. There was some 45mph zones, and a few lights. Highway the last 25 mile tracker nets about 16.9mpg, and thats the highest I've had it. Winter average has been 11-12mpg.

I did a 300 mile trip with myself, my dog, 2 dirtbikes, ramp, stands, tools, all in all about 1000lbs pAyload in my 14 1500 6.2 yesterfay, set my cruise on 63mph the whole way for a mileage test. I got 17.9mpg. Same trip the weekend before running at 70-75mpg I got 14.8. Premium gas. I'm happy with that, but I don't think it would have cost much more to do the same with a 2500/6.0 on regular pump gas. Food for thought.

Same trip probably would have only gotten 1mpg better empty with just me and the dog.