ProjectSummit build

nadrojcote

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I may get a white insert for it.

Outline the GMC in white. It'll go great and make the emblem really stand out. Convinced my buddy to do it on his and it's his favorite mod he's done, other than that, I think your truck is coming along great! Looks really good [emoji106]

Well, I rushed down to the United States today to pick up my control arms and got them installed. Local dealership was able to fit me in for an alignment but I was so rushed that I didnt get to take any pictures during install. There are a couple issues.

1. The aluminum control arms have a threaded hole in them for a bolt to hold on the brake line bracket and the rough country arms are the opposite and have a bolt sticking out of them. They also didn't include the nut.
2. Brake line bolt is in the wrong location and cause the brake line to be too tight, rendering it worthless.
3. The arms did rub the frame a little bit at full compression, I ground it off just a tad to make it not touch.

I ended up zip tying my brake lines on for now.

Total install took 2 hrs going as fast as I could.

Some observations.

1. The ball joint angle is way better for lifted and leveled trucks, even with only 2" like my truck
2. They look thin, but they are actually quite heavy and possibly solid steel arms
3. The packing was horrible, just thrown in a card board box with no padding.
4. Bushings are OE type
5. Moog Ball joints

Not much of a difference in ride quality right now, but later tonight I am going to go hit the same speed bumps that I was making a "clunk" noise going over before.

gallery_140298_3311_5483605.jpg
gallery_140298_3311_3514664.jpg

looks good! I am planning on doing my head lights black as well, did you get some body to open them up and paint them or did you do them yourself. I am a little worried about doing them myself so hoping I can find someone to paint them in saskatoon

looks good! I am planning on doing my head lights black as well, did you get some body to open them up and paint them or did you do them yourself. I am a little worried about doing them myself so hoping I can find someone to paint them in saskatoon

I did them myself by baking them. If youre not comfortable doing it, I dont recommend trying. It was the hardest set of lights I've ever done.

I did them myself by baking them. If youre not comfortable doing it, I dont recommend trying. It was the hardest set of lights I've ever done.

Thanks for the honesty, appreciate it. I will try get a local guy to do it, for the right price.

Thanks for the honesty, appreciate it. I will try get a local guy to do it, for the right price.

I understand why the guy from fast headlights cut them open with a dremel instead of cooking them in the oven. Would have probably been easier. I also notice he makes everything seem horrible to do so that people don't try it and they give him their money instead.

On a side note, I got some new wheels yesterday, now Im just trying to hunt down some 305/45r22 dynapro atm's. Apparently they're on back order from hankook.

These are the wheels I got

gallery_140298_3319_1339207.jpg

These are the tires I'm getting

IMG_2624.jpg

The rims weigh 41lb and the tires weigh 45 lb, apparently the stock gm 22's weight around 88-91lbs so I'm pretty happy to know that I am going up a size from stock and still lighter.

So I took my truck over some speed bumps last night that used to make my truck thump before I got my control arms. No more thump, ball joint angles are much better and I'm far from hitting the stops.

I also forgot to post a picture of what I did with my window trim. I used some satin black krylon fusion instead of messing around trying to find someone to trade me. I think it gives it a nice look being semi glossy, Slightly higher quality looking than the flat black OE window trim found on base model trucks.

gallery_140298_3275_980529.jpg

So I took my truck over some speed bumps last night that used to make my truck thump before I got my control arms. No more thump, ball joint angles are much better and I'm far from hitting the stops.

I also forgot to post a picture of what I did with my window trim. I used some satin black krylon fusion instead of messing around trying to find someone to trade me. I think it gives it a nice look being semi glossy, Slightly higher quality looking than the flat black OE window trim found on base model trucks.

gallery_140298_3275_980529.jpg

That looks much better than the flat black OEM or plastidip (mines dipped). Imma have to get some of that paint

You should of named it projectRMK or projectASSAULT

now if I buy a summit I'll be matching! I named it project summit because of the paint color though. I used to be a ski doo guy, but Polaris has it down pat with the rmk.

I dont have a write up, I just looked into where the wire was to tap in to. Its up in the driver side column between the drivers window and the windshield. I used some old led headlights and unsoldered pieces of PCB off of them, soldered some wires to them and ran them under the dash and through the console for the rear. Mounted the rears with zip ties under the front seats.

Archived