PARKING BRAKE WON'T RELEASE

So for the second time in 3 days the parking brake in my '14 double cab won't release. The first time it eventually released once it reached the carpet. It worked fine for days, Now its all the way down really tight and won't release!!! I'm Stuck!!! Also have been noticing the alert light is intermittent.

Anyone else experience this? What could it be? Why am I stuck in a truck with less then 6k miles!?!

Have you checked the actual parking brake lines running to the rear axel? Also, worst case just kick the parking brake pedal like your jump starting a motorcycle. I know none of us want to damage our trucks but at least its under warranty.

Mine stuck in a boat launch one time and there happened to be a mechanic waiting to launch and he crawled under the truck and banged on the cable with a hammer to get it to release. This is usually a problem though with an older vehicle where there is rust, dirt and corrosion blocking the cable's release. This seems to be too new a vehicle for that problem so it is some type of adjustment problems I am thinking. You may have to get under there and bang on that cable to get it released so you can get it into the dealer pronto!

If it's an emergency or you're stuck in a remote location, cut the cable under the truck or disconnect it. Otherwise, call the dealer and have him come and get his problem.

UPDATE: Stayed at the dealer a full day ( 2 nights with a rental Traverse :sick: ). Turned out to be a bad parking brake lever assembly. They replaced it under warranty of course. They mentioned that the HDs have a problem with brake lining coming un bonded and freezing up the parking brake. So they checked that too. Nothing askew there. The mechanic was able to release lever with a long screwdriver before getting it into shop. All in all just an inconvenience. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and not turning out to be a widespread issue. I use my parking brake every day so I guess we'll see as the trucks get older what happens. My advice, If it doesn't release after the second attempt, STOP!!! and get it looked at.

UPDATE: Stayed at the dealer a full day ( 2 nights with a rental Traverse :sick: ). Turned out to be a bad parking brake lever assembly. They replaced it under warranty of course. They mentioned that the HDs have a problem with brake lining coming un bonded and freezing up the parking brake. So they checked that too. Nothing askew there. The mechanic was able to release lever with a long screwdriver before getting it into shop. All in all just an inconvenience. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and not turning out to be a widespread issue. I use my parking brake every day so I guess we'll see as the trucks get older what happens. My advice, If it doesn't release after the second attempt, STOP!!! and get it looked at.

Hey DJayx,

Thanks for the update. We're happy to hear the dealer was to get your recent parking brake concerns resolved. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions in the future. We're always happy to assist!

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Edited by GM Customer Service

• 6 years later...
On 11/18/2021 at 10:29 AM, Ron Arthur said:

I now have the same problem on a 2017 Silverado 3500 HD. Dealer service advisor says have to cut the cable. Is there no place to release the lever?  

I don't think so. You could take a 10 mm wrench and release the tension at the cable equalizer, about halfway down the cab.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...