'15 6.2 Air Cleaner Removable Inlet Cover

Hey guys who are wanting to hear your engine breath for free, my '15 6.2 has a removable cover over the inlet where it seals to the inner fender. Removal of said cover includes the nice factory foam seal, but that can be replaced for cheap. I pulled the whole air box out while installing my HID kit and noticed 2 clips inside the box. Unsnapped each side and it opens up the whole right side of the box. I put some foam back on I had laying around and surprisingly you can actually hear the engine like a cold air kit.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your truck will breath better with that piece removed. The snorkel on the cover is there to reduce noise which in turn restricts air flow and the ability to produce power. Its amazing the difference it makes. Which HID kit did you install and do you like it? Did your truck have the headlight update with new bulbs and reprogram of the module?

I don't have a pic but its not hard to find if you just pull out the air box. On mine ('15 6.2) it had the factory foam on the removed price. I just installed some foam on the box. In my eyes it seals out heat better than most aftermarket (boxless) filter kits.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked mine out. I'm curious what the cover on the 6.2 looks like. My 5.3 air box side has one rectangular inlet, and seemingly a blocked off smaller portion below that that coincides with a hole in the inner fender.

It's the same removable plate on the air box. I kept the top snorkel and bought some flex duct from the Depot and ran it down close to the bumper valance. Then I cut the inner fender out to match the bottom portion of the removable plate that was cut out with a zip saw. The bottom of the removable plate gets air from inside the fender and the snorkel gets forced air from the bottom.

RT

I trimmed the removable piece (GM calls it a duct # 22845990) to match the hole in the fender and also cut an opening to match the lower hole in the fender. No modifications were done to the air box. It did increase the intake sound when accelerating, which I like anyway. The duct is about $30 wholesale if you don't like the sound after cutting on it. With these changes the air box is still sealed and draws all of it's air from inside the fender.

• 1 month later...

Archived