'15 6.2 Air Cleaner Removable Inlet Cover

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you have to cut yours ?

I cut the filter box (left piece) all the way down to the bottom knock out. And then I attached some flex duct to the snorkel piece on the right and ran it down close to the bottom of the valance for cooler air. It breathes from inner fender + the forced air behind the lower valance.

RT

Without a bellmouth opening, a hole for inlet air like this, will flow less than the size of the opening would lead you to believe. The bellmouth is not just a small improvement to the inlet efficiency.

The box is not the restriction. Air getting to the box is where to look. Going through all that, you might as well put a massive hole in the fender. The stock box can support a blower. The tube is your weak spot.

The box is not the restriction. Air getting to the box is where to look. Going through all that, you might as well put a massive hole in the fender. The stock box can support a blower. The tube is your weak spot.

What does "support a blower" really mean? That you can install a blower and make a certain amount of power? What if you remove the box and install a different intake setup with the blower and you pick up 30 rwhp? Do you still think the stock box "supports a blower?" What might be a 5 or 10 HP restriction at 350 HP could be a 50 HP restriction at 600.

What does "support a blower" really mean? That you can install a blower and make a certain amount of power? What if you remove the box and install a different intake setup with the blower and you pick up 30 rwhp? Do you still think the stock box "supports a blower?" What might be a 5 or 10 HP restriction at 350 HP could be a 50 HP restriction at 600.

If the stock box was teally that much of a restriction blower companies would change that when you buy their kit. Also products like the Airaid MIT wouldnt be around.

So, the way to tell if this mod has any effect, is to put one of the monitors on the OBD2 plug with software like Dashcommand, and monitor the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) number before and after this modification. You can use this same measurement to check any intake modification you make....intake tubes, air filters, etc. You have to do the testing with the same atmospheric conditions. Same barometric pressure, same temperature, at the same altitude.

DSC_3045%20Medium_zpswg89ymex.jpg

If the stock box was teally that much of a restriction blower companies would change that when you buy their kit. Also products like the Airaid MIT wouldnt be around.

you think so, huh? marketing 101 and economics 101.....take them.

you think so, huh? marketing 101 and economics 101.....take them.

No. I am pretty good with the classes i have taken on the properties of fluid flow and air flow. The teachings of Pascal, Venturi, and Bernoulli.

If you're going to cut your inner fender, I'd recommend you make a generous radius in the corners and use a sanding drum to make the cuts smooth. That piece is a shear web to hold the fender and other components together. That's why it's flanged. A sharp corner or nick in the edge is a stress riser that has the potential to start a crack. It's a long term issue of fatigue. It won't happen this week, but it might happen next year... Put a little primer or paint on the bare edge too.

No. I am pretty good with the classes i have taken on the properties of fluid flow and air flow. The teachings of Pascal, Venturi, and Bernoulli.

oh ok good, please show us the measurements and calculations then.

The turbulence is strong in this thread.

I left mine in after reading what @Spurshot and @Chris said.

I did just install a Airaid MIT tho and noticed a little increase in pep.

Archived