power folding mirror stopped working!

Yes, it is common. My '09 Denali has the same problem - but I don't care because I just got the HD towing mirrors for it.

Do you hear the motor turning when someone presses the switch? The gears are prone to breaking. If you hear nothing, it's an electrical issue.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/28/2016 at 4:45 PM, montyss said:

If its the gear that's broke on the power fold you need to change the mirror

No  -  there's a company that sells a BRASS version of this gear which is pretty indestructible.   Its likely all that has happened here is either the power fold motor has died, or the stupid plastic gear inside the unit has broken.  Both have terrible reliability.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck

Look at the 1st item on that page.  You can upgrade the mirrors cheap with a much better motor and a gear thats NOT STUPID PLASTIC.  

Cant believe GM put plastic in there, and I cant believe people replace entire mirrors or go through all that trouble just to have mirrors with more shit plastic gears in them.  The 1st time you go to the car wash and they manually fold in those power mirrors, the plastic gear usually strips or breaks.  Its unbelievable.

Yes both the gear on the motor and housing can brake. The housing gear you can rotate 180 degrees and reuse. The motor gear needs replaced. I have made a video fixing it the last time I fixed mine. 

Hope this helps.

Parts: http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck

Edited by Mikebtte
Grammer
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

This is a great video.  Note that GruvenParts.com now makes the gear brass, and you can buy it preattached to a new main shaft so the whole process is alot easier now than in this video.  They also sell the entire drive units so you dont have to do anything but swap out the old one with the rebuilt 1.

All details here, check out the 1st product  -- https://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck

• 4 months later...
56 minutes ago, jatkinson8755 said:

Has anyone tried to install tow mirrors ?  Those also have power fold and power telescope.  I wonder if its possible ?

Who sells power fold and telescoping tow mirrors for 900s???