1" Level

So I will be picking up my 2015 2500 SLT 6.0 on tuesday and was looking to level the front just 1" or 1.5" or so because I hate it when people completely level a truck then it squats when carrying a motorbike or something light like that but think the factory rake is a bit much in terms of looks. I have read a few things about people just adjusting the factory torsion keys and having ride quality issues, but if a guy just does 1" instead of going for 2.25" will it still feel noticeably different? Also can that just be done in your garage and is an alignment mandatory?

So I will be picking up my 2015 2500 SLT 6.0 on tuesday and was looking to level the front just 1" or so because I hate it when people completely level a truck then it squats when carrying a motorbike or something light like that but think the factory rake is a bit much in terms of looks. I have read a few things about people just adjusting the factory torsion keys and having ride quality issues, but if a guy just does 1" instead of going for 2.25" will it still feel noticeably different? Also can that just be done in your garage and is an alignment mandatory?

I would look at the Rough Country 2" level kit. Beside being a popular level on this site, my truck still has a rake to it (about an inch, maybe a hair lower). This kit will also allow for some slightly bigger rubber if you want later on. I tow my 23ft boat that weighs around 5500lbs, it sits almost level, maybe just a slight reverse rake, but it sounds like you'd be towing less so this shouldn't be a problem for you. Look at the pics in my gallery for an example.

I would look at the Rough Country 2" level kit. Beside being a popular level on this site, my truck still has a rake to it (about an inch, maybe a hair lower). This kit will also allow for some slightly bigger rubber if you want later on. I tow my 23ft boat that weighs around 5500lbs, it sits almost level, maybe just a slight reverse rake, but it sounds like you'd be towing less so this shouldn't be a problem for you. Look at the pics in my gallery for an example.

Thanks for the input. I'm just not sure about levelling it quite that much, in my head 1-1.5 seems more where I would like to be, but once I get the truck on tuesday maybe I'll get a better idea. Im also having the dealer install some 275/70/18 Wrangler Duratrac tires so thats probably about the size I'll stay with, I may potentially get 20" wheels down the road but would probably stay with that 33"ish size range still. As far as hauling and towing, the motorbike was just an example of what I don't like about too much levelling, I do have a dirt bike and a street bike but my main towing will probably be a holiday trailer or cargo trailer. I sold my smaller trailer that I towed with my F-150 and will be looking at getting a new one soon, sizes Ive been looking at seem to mostly be 7-9000 lbs. Im fine with the back end being a little higher too I just under no circumstances want the back to be squatting because I hate that look.

Turn the torsion bar adjusters 4-5 turns. One full rotation of the adjuster bolt nets .2" of height change.

Ok I'll give that a shot when I get it, I haven't looked at the suspension geometry that close so far, does that require an alignment when you mess with those?

Yeah just turn the adjusters no since wasting money on a leveling kit and get the same results just bring the front wheels off the ground first before turning the bolts this makes it easier to turn the bolts and puts a lot less stress on the threads and heard people snap the bolts off by not doing this. Yes the ride will be a little stiffer but I never cared because its a truck and not a car.

Ok I'll give that a shot when I get it, I haven't looked at the suspension geometry that close so far, does that require an alignment when you mess with those?

Yes. It will mainly throw toe off. Camber and caster stay well within spec.

Well, leveling either the front or the back will end up the same with a full load on. I opted for dropping the back with a set of McGaughy's shackles for about $70. Perception is in the eye of the beholder, but the front for me was tall enough. The back rake was too extreme. I have compared to to my cat sticking his butt in the air when I pet him. Lowering the back, raising the front, either way, when you load it up it will look exactly the same overall. Even with the back lowered a little, I still have some rake and more than ample clearance crossing hillside terraces on farm ground, crossing ditches, etc. Have thrown nearly a ton of concrete or bentonite in the back and it didn't squat much at all. Doesn't even change look at all with a couple of 55 gallon drums of oil in back.

And I didn't have to do an alignment on the front after the shackles installed. About as simple and cheap as it gets.

Well, leveling either the front or the back will end up the same with a full load on. I opted for dropping the back with a set of McGaughy's shackles for about $70. Perception is in the eye of the beholder, but the front for me was tall enough. The back rake was too extreme. I have compared to to my cat sticking his butt in the air when I pet him. Lowering the back, raising the front, either way, when you load it up it will look exactly the same overall. Even with the back lowered a little, I still have some rake and more than ample clearance crossing hillside terraces on farm ground, crossing ditches, etc. Have thrown nearly a ton of concrete or bentonite in the back and it didn't squat much at all. Doesn't even change look at all with a couple of 55 gallon drums of oil in back.

And I didn't have to do an alignment on the front after the shackles installed. About as simple and cheap as it gets.

I had contemplated the rear drop, Im pretty sure theres a 1 1/4" bumper that a guy could just take out and like you say thats super simple, but I'm going with a little bit bigger tires 275/70/18 (about 33") so I thought the extra little bit of clearance would help out, and If anything I prefer a truck to sit a bit higher than stock, not really a fan of lowering trucks.

• 1 month later...

I ordered those shackles also from McGaughy's - I've not installed them yet - any chance you would throw up some pictures Cowpie?

No, didn't take any pics of the install. Had my local shop in town do it when I had them change out the factory fill transmission fluid and filter. This pic is the pickup currently with the McGaughy's on. Lowered the back by about two inches at the axle, yet still plenty of rake. But very noticeable when getting in and out of the bed. The step up is not nearly as bad as stock.

post-122677-0-54535900-1440118437_thumb.jpg

Archived